Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning on hunting hard Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday next week...Going to start at the "super duper double secret hot spot" and maybe I can ambush a fat deer before the rut kicks in. My granddaughters are screaming for venison chili....

Comment

Good luck! Looks like a windy one out today. Tomorrow looks to be nice.

Comment

Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Ah ha! Finally figured these deer out after lots of hard work lol... guess that's what it takes.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got stopped by the game warden last night on my way out. Checked my license and my permits. Said there was a guy last week that shot a 160 ish 9 point with a general permit and no deer permit. I asked if he had pics of the deer, but he didn't. He seemed like he was there the past few weekends, so everyone be sure to have all of your ducks in a row with your licenses and permits.

It was a peaceful evening with only one hog sighting right at last light. Didn't have a shot in the brush at about 30-40 yards. Hopefully, I'll find the deer here soon. Can't seem to get on one in the daylight.

Comment

That will be expensive. Real expensive, because they charge by the inch for restitution.

Comment

Moon phase is going to be great at the end of the month. Hopefully we will see some daytime movement

Comment

Thoughts on Poacher/Hunter Assistance

The hunter that shot the deer without a permit should loose his Texas hunting license. Oh darn....it probably would not matter to him anyway. I waited 4 years to get a permit to hunt the vine and that 160'ish buck could have been in my sights. I am not selfish, I just believe in following the rules provided, to be able to hunt for free, 5 miles from my house. He stole that deer from 150 permit holders and youths.

On another note: I am willing to help a fellow bow hunter retrieve a downed deer when I am available. I have an Achilles inflatable with a 45# trolling motor that I can get up the creek with. It will carry 1150 #'s. Have not used it yet and do not know how far I can get. Plan on a trip west of 377 next week. Noticed a lot of single party hunters and wanted to offer a hand. I am ten minutes from the 377 parking area. Also have one of those climbing stands that converts into a really nice game cart. Hunter cooperation puts meat in the freezer. Huge non typical was seen in my hunting area last year......

godum - "bow hunting since 1984" cell - 817-538-0546
                Last edited by godum; 10-23-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Godum,

That is awful nice of you to offer. I was out tonight for my sixth hunt and I still have not seen a deer. I've found three scrapes and one fresh one tonight. I'll be hitting it early tomorrow just east of I-35. I did get a little aggressive this afternoon with my doe call and rattling. Nothing came in to my knowledge. I'll be spending the entire day in the field tomorrow.

Comment

I too, am about 10 minutes away from the 377 parking lot and would be willing to help anybody carry an animal out if needed. No boat or anything, just another set of hands to help. Just call or text 972-786-2899. If im not at work (which shifts vary daily), I will help

Comment

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post
                      Godum,

That is awful nice of you to offer. I was out tonight for my sixth hunt and I still have not seen a deer. I've found three scrapes and one fresh one tonight. I'll be hitting it early tomorrow just east of I-35. I did get a little aggressive this afternoon with my doe call and rattling. Nothing came in to my knowledge. I'll be spending the entire day in the field tomorrow.
                      may be a little too early to be calling aggressively. Rut is probably still three weeks away. Keep on stand, something will eventually show up. That area takes a bit to figure out movement. I have taken some nice deer out there when I was drawn and have spent many hours not seeing a deer.

Comment

Finally figured out these deer out here thankfully with quite a few mornings of nothing. Hope others do the same eventually. Good luck to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm a little late to the party, but I was lucky enough to draw the Grapevine tag this year. This is the first time I've hunted whitetails so if anyone is willing to give me any tips/advice/input on whitetail hunting and how to hunt out at Grapevine, i would sure appreciate it. I've hunted my whole life, but all out west. From what I'm told, Whitetails are a bit of a different ballgame than elk/mule deer. Feel free to shoot me a pm or a text - I don't want to be "that guy" and mess up somebody else's hunt so just hoping to get some general information and suggestions on what to do and what not to do whitetail hunting.

Also, I live in the area and would be happy to help get an animal out if anyone needs assistance!

Paul
                          208-490-0594

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
                            may be a little too early to be calling aggressively. Rut is probably still three weeks away. Keep on stand, something will eventually show up. That area takes a bit to figure out movement. I have taken some nice deer out there when I was drawn and have spent many hours not seeing a deer.
                            Thanks Ace!

Spent the whole day in the field but I did sit in two different locations for the morning and afternoon hunt. Found another scrape, lots of hog evidence and spotted four hen turkeys. I'll try again in a day or two. Need to recharge my batteries.

Comment

Hey guys, was west of 377 and found an iPhone. If anyone lost one, PM me or you can call the Corps Engineers and they have my contact info.

Comment

I was not drawn this year, but my buddy was. He said it has been slow, seen nada in a few sits. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X