Hit the Lottery!! NM Elk Archery Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buckslayer83 View Post
    Tgoody we will get it done ! Btw the spot I hunt will not be affected by fire will actually help push them to me. We will hit the ground hard .

I expect to have meat in the back of this rig early Sept.... Haha
    Man, I'm excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following I'm planning to put in for unit 17 next season.

Comment

Tgoody I'm new to TX Bow Hunter. I have been to Unit 17 on mule deer muzzleloader, wish I was on an elk hunt, seen good elk, big elk. PM me for info. On road to take to get to draw and wash I would recommend for you this season.

Comment

Originally posted by firemove View Post
          Tgoody I'm new to TX Bow Hunter. I have been to Unit 17 on mule deer muzzleloader, wish I was on an elk hunt, seen good elk, big elk. PM me for info. On road to take to get to draw and wash I would recommend for you this season.

PM sent

Comment

Received yes the Polaris is perfect for Jeep road, water is close to camp, expect about 6-8 mile ride on the jeep road. Be careful and register your Polaris on NM website, same page you print your tags. Should be about $15 for a 3 month UTV registration permit.

Comment

Originally posted by firemove View Post
              Received yes the Polaris is perfect for Jeep road, water is close to camp, expect about 6-8 mile ride on the jeep road. Be careful and register your Polaris on NM website, same page you print your tags. Should be about $15 for a 3 month UTV registration permit.

Got my tags in the mail yesterday! Can I take my 4Runner with Polaris on trailer down that road or should I dump it and take Ranger all the way?

Comment

A local guide helps if you can afford one. Check craigslist if you are on a budget. Not sure what your physical condition is, but you can at least work out through the soreness if you start now, meaning, if you do not workout normally usually you get super sore the first few weeks. Whether or not you are overweight, going downhill more than uphill puts stress on your knees. Especially if you have a past injury, bring knee and ankle support as well as telescopic hiking poles. I found that old injuries creep up after hiking 10-15 miles with a load.

As far as the actual hunt, study topo's and aerial photos to locate water sources and learn the flow of the terrain. A lot of people don't stray too far from the road, so going deeper into the unit might be rewarding. It will still be warm, so bulls might be wallowing in marshy areas or staying in the shade, also there is nothing wrong with setting up on a water hole and waiting. In summary, find water as far away from the road as possible.

I would still bugle and work a cow call occasionally. Bulls should be breaking out of bachelor groups and getting cows together already. You won't get the same kind of response as in rut, but then again, rut is not a specific date and some bulls might be a little early. Either way, it shouldn't hurt you.

If you can't find water, the other thing to do is scout for fresh scrapes. You know a bull is in the area, and they often work the same trails this time of year.

Comment

One more thing about getting a guide, if you do end up taking an elk, you will be **** glad you got him when your are trying to get an elk cut up and back to the camp fast.

The pepper and deboning were good tips.

Comment

Jeep road could be washed out pretty bad 4 runner will get you headed north on flat ground for a while then you start in on washes and mountain driving.

Comment

Congratulations
                      good luck

Comment

Originally posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
                        Congratulations

good luck

Thanks!!! A week from now hopefully I'll be on a spot and stalk for the elusive Forrest Ghost

Comment

Hey TGoody did you draw first, second, or third hunt in unit 17. I had a youth deer hunt for my son there and scouted that unit maybe 7 days worth and 5 hunting days. Learned area pretty good. Saw a few huge herds if elk. There are some big boys up there. I have maps and GPS coordinates if some waterholes that might get you into some elk.

Comment

Originally posted by birddogem301 View Post
                            Hey TGoody did you draw first, second, or third hunt in unit 17. I had a youth deer hunt for my son there and scouted that unit maybe 7 days worth and 5 hunting days. Learned area pretty good. Saw a few huge herds if elk. There are some big boys up there. I have maps and GPS coordinates if some waterholes that might get you into some elk.

I drew 1st hunt. I'm headed home now. No arrows down range but saw elk everyday and got close enough for shots several times but not good vital shots and didn't want to wound anything. All and all I had a wonderful experience and my buddy that camped with me got a monster at one of the tanks I scouted for us

Comment

Great pics and a heck of a bull. Congrats to your buddy. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Those extra points are really cool.

Comment

50% success rate between the two of you is pretty darn good odds. Congrats on a good hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X