Hit the Lottery!! NM Elk Archery Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
    I completely agree, we'd much rather do this alone. Definitely more rewarding when you pull it off. I'm interested in this drop camp... You remember how much that ran you with a horse haul out by chance!? We will be there for 8 solid days of hunting. I'm kind of like you and would like a nice base camp for the down time at night
    I think for three guys the drop camp was like ~750-900 each. That was for us to ride horses up/down and a wall tent, cots, kitchen gear, etc already set up at camp for us. Then it was another ~500 to come pack out any bull (meat/antlers had to be put next to a trail to pick up). Also +tips

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
      I think for three guys the drop camp was like ~750-900 each. That was for us to ride horses up/down and a wall tent, cots, kitchen gear, etc already set up at camp for us. Then it was another ~500 to come pack out any bull (meat/antlers had to be put next to a trail to pick up). Also +tips

Nice!!! I'll need to look into that!

Anybody know how much you can actually drive this unit by vehicle or is it more remote, requiring more boot leather...

Comment

Anybody else been to Unit 17?? Any help is greatly appreciated

Comment

start running and working out twice a day.
          do as many jumping jacks a day as you can.

i'd camp on site

Comment

Congratulations! Make sure you're in shape! Elk are much larger than whitetails and the country they inhabit can be quite rugged. Early season can be difficult because the rut may not be in full swing yet. Don't bugle too much, maybe once every 15 minutes or so, if there's no action. If you do get something to respond, sneak in and use soft cow calls to lure them in closer. I have a Montana Decoy and that works really well if they are hanging up out of range.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys!

I've been debating on either the Montana or Heads up cow decoy. Need to look into this some more

Comment

Tgoody I drew same tag same period have experience elk hunting also have scouted area . as well as friend that lives in unit 13 that does fly over surveying. will be heading up August 30.

Comment

recommend ultimatepredatorgear elk decoy! Tgoody also buy TAG Bags Bomb bags for meat as advised bone out meat! get with me I can help you

Comment

Congrats on the tag. Keep us posted

Comment

Congrats on the tag. Hope y'all have a great hunt and can get it done. Sounds like Buckslayer may be a good guy to get with on this hunt!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by buckslayer83 View Post
                        recommend ultimatepredatorgear elk decoy! Tgoody also buy TAG Bags Bomb bags for meat as advised bone out meat! get with me I can help you

Heck yea man we need to get together!
                        There will just be two of us, early 30s in great shape. We will be filming this hunt with about 3 or 4 cameras!
                        I also have a friend who lives in Unit 17 so I'm hoping to sweet talk him into helping me out too but he runs an outfitting/youth organization so he will most likely be too busy.

I'll send a pm shortly

Comment

Ohhhhh and the National Forrest wild fire had burnt up 12k acres in Magdelana Mtns as of yesterday. Hope they get that thing put out soon

Comment

Get a good map and get the heck away from the roads! As you may know, road hunting is the state past time in NM. That fire can be a good thing, if the monsoons don't hit hard you won't have good greens. At least you can count that area out. Depending on how hot that place burned it could be awesome, if it burned too hot there won't be any cover for you or the elk. Get off the trails, off the roads and find water. Take a nap during the day and get up two hours before daylight and get that bugle out and locate. Don't be like most folks though. Don't drive around, turn off your truck for 20 secs, bugle, listen for a minute and leave. These elk are not dumb. We killed one in unit 15 a while back and had him coming to us at 3pm with his herd, had a 4 wheeler drive between us and the bull, the elk shut up...for about 5 minutes and then answered right back CLOSER to us and we killed him. The guy on the 4 wheeler was within 100 yards of a 6x6 and never knew it.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              Get a good map and get the heck away from the roads! As you may know, road hunting is the state past time in NM. That fire can be a good thing, if the monsoons don't hit hard you won't have good greens. At least you can count that area out. Depending on how hot that place burned it could be awesome, if it burned too hot there won't be any cover for you or the elk. Get off the trails, off the roads and find water. Take a nap during the day and get up two hours before daylight and get that bugle out and locate. Don't be like most folks though. Don't drive around, turn off your truck for 20 secs, bugle, listen for a minute and leave. These elk are not dumb. We killed one in unit 15 a while back and had him coming to us at 3pm with his herd, had a 4 wheeler drive between us and the bull, the elk shut up...for about 5 minutes and then answered right back CLOSER to us and we killed him. The guy on the 4 wheeler was within 100 yards of a 6x6 and never knew it.

Nice!! Great info! Thank ya sir

Being this is the first archery season they may not be bugling, but I sure hope so. Our plan for now is to get up some old logging roads then hit the ground on foot as far away from the road hunters as possible. Just hope to get lucky and find a herd unnoticed by anyone else

Comment

Tgoody we will get it done ! Btw the spot I hunt will not be affected by fire will actually help push them to me. We will hit the ground hard .

Comment

Working...
                                X