No announcement yet.

SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swamprabbit-- Now I don't know squat about selfbows, but it sure looks like there ought to be a couple of bows in that stave!

Comment

Or one floppy whip ended mega chunker[emoji12]

Comment

Got the back to work Monday blues

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolf View Post
          Got the back to work Monday blues
          Im feeling the exact same way ...

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            Im feeling the exact same way ...
            Couldn't wait to relax at work today after a long weekend with kids....

Comment

She's still alive! I thought we ran off the new girl. Maybe she does have thicker skin than i thought. Ya need it around this bunch

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                Swamprabbit-- Now I don't know squat about selfbows, but it sure looks like there ought to be a couple of bows in that stave!
                The size of it would indicate that I should be able to get at least 2. The grain runs just right... it is the knots that I need to think about. I need to get a pencil out and start running some grain lines, do some measuring and see what I can/should do.

I was too tired to mess with that last night. After 5 hours of scraping, I could barely hold a beer bottle to try and numb the pain

Comment

I've got 3 Mondays off in a row. Wind picked up, so no fishing today. Hopefully it will lay down and I can get out at least once.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                    I've got 3 Mondays off in a row. Wind picked up, so no fishing today. Hopefully it will lay down and I can get out at least once.

I hear that. Keiths pics yesterday gave me a little jealous feeling. Could use some salt therapy

Comment

SR, you're killing me. I've been wanting to build a lighter weight selfbow to shoot a different category t the annual shoots. Need to find a decent stave. Probably 2, 1 for tod too.

Just figured out i got a mulberry tree out back, could climb and cut off a big ol limb.

But the best bet would probably be to call Mike Yancey and pay the high price but get an awesome quality stave.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                        SR, you're killing me. I've been wanting to build a lighter weight selfbow to shoot a different category t the annual shoots. Need to find a decent stave. Probably 2, 1 for tod too.

Just figured out i got a mulberry tree out back, could climb and cut off a big ol limb.

But the best bet would probably be to call Mike Yancey and pay the high price but get an awesome quality stave.
                        So what makes a good stave?

I know where some of those trees are.

Comment

Well, that depends on the skill level of the bowyer. What i like about Yancey is that you can tell him what you want in a stave and he'll pick one out. My first one, i wanted a good and straight stave with little to no twist or curves and no knots. I got just that and it was a dream to work with as a novice.

Osage can get real knotty, and can easily start to twist and curve as it grows. Curves in the grain can be cool and make a snakey bow with awesome character. Twists get difficult and you may want to try and untwist with heat which can be tricky. Supposed to be able to tell how much twist a tree has by the bark. What you can't tell is how thick the rings are. Thicker rings are always better. I've never cut a tree and split it for staves, but it would be interesting to do just to learn to identify the character by the bark and what it does. Hope it all makes sense

Comment

Now you're just showing off Andy. Interesting stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                              Now you're just showing off Andy. Interesting stuff though.
                              You saw my selfbows. You can't deny that they're cool. Even my ebay special stave bow that had the big knot holes I had to drill out. Unfortunately, that one had a limb hinge on me so it only shot a few arrows and became a wall hanger.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-23 20.56.08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	24445126
                                In case yall were wondering what Mr Andy was talking about
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X