SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
    I hunted sam, but only found frank. You dont want to find frank. Frank is a jerk. If you're lucky, you'll find an eddie, as many others have. I hear that can quite eventful and funny. Just be careful that any Eddies don't try to take a dmack and finish up with a poleonly. Banjo music will magically appear.
    Here we go...

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
      lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Saw that on FB....pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolf View Post
        I will be extending my deer season an extra 2 weeks. Last year it seemed like January was better than most of deer season. So I bought an inexpensive muzzleloader. Now to replace that plastic T handle and get a scope.

Nice. Last year was just so dang hot

Comment

Now to pick TMIDs brain on trip 7's pellets vs. pyrodex and what the advantages are of pink teflon tape vs. bore butter on the breach plug

Comment

A lot will be preference. I use bore butter myself for plug threads. Powder wise, do some research on what other guns like yours prefer. Some breech plugs aren't too good with pellets. Even though they are more convenient, I'll still use loose powder first. Iirc, tod is pretty well in line with this too

Comment

SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
              A lot will be preference. I use bore butter myself for plug threads. Powder wise, do some research on what other guns like yours prefer. Some breech plugs aren't too good with pellets. Even though they are more convenient, I'll still use loose powder first. Iirc, tod is pretty well in line with this too

Some people love the pellets it seems and some swear by powder. I've got some experimenting to do I guess. Saw an old post from Tmiddleton in 2012 with a pic recommending the triple 7 pellets etc. to get started. That's why I mentioned those things in particular
              Last edited by Werewolf; 05-18-2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Some people love the pellets it seems and some swear by powder. I've got some experimenting to do I guess. Saw an old post from Tmiddleton in 2012 with a pic recommending the triple 7 pellets etc. to get started. That's why I mentioned those things in particular
                I was given a muzzle loader this year by a friend. Not my first one, but haven't had one I wanted to hunt with. In researching this one, I found that the vast majority of people had great success with triple seven loose powder ( at least I think it was, dangit, now I have to look again) which even the manufacturer recommended. Pellets are not recommended in this one though. I haven't shot it yet either so I have a little bit of work to do as well.

Comment

[ATTACH]791938[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by kabanh View Post
                    [ATTACH]791938[/ATTACH]
                    That's Andy's new go to toy.

Comment

Nah, I'm learning to do it with a blade

Comment

A blade is quicker but I the band would hurt worse

Comment

Now to pick TMIDs brain on trip 7's pellets vs. pyrodex and what the advantages are of pink teflon tape vs. bore butter on the breach plug
                          We only use Teflon tape on the breach plugs, no grease. Bore butter doesn't get used on my guns anymore. All my muzzy's use regular white tape but some guns need the pink tape to get a better seal. I have never had a breach plug seize.

I mainly use Triple 7 pellets or Blackhorn 209 loose powder these days. A lot of folks say the Blackhorn is more accurate, but I get the same results no matter which powder I use.

Triple 7 pellets are really, really convenient but you will get a crud ring in the barrel, right where the powder explodes under the bullet making it hard to seat a follow up shot. In order to seat a second shot I have to wet patch and clean the bore for the next bullet. This makes a quick follow up shot not very likely but I suppose with practice it could be done. Just have to make that first shot count.

With the Blackhorn 209, you do not get the crud ring and can seat a followup shot without swabbing the bore. Downside is you have to measue each powder charge and the stuff is really expensive compared to other powders.

All of my guns shoot Hornady XTP's 44 caliber .430" 240 grain bullets sitting in a 50 caliber Harvester Crush ribbed sabot. (Damian's also)

Stay away from the Powerbelt bullets that CVA pushes.

PM me if you need any more assistance and congrats on your new Muzzy!
                          Last edited by TMiddleton; 05-19-2016, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Tons of good info here as well:

Black Powder - Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                              We only use Teflon tape on the breach plugs, no grease. Bore butter doesn't get used on my guns anymore. All my muzzy's use regular white tape but some guns need the pink tape to get a better seal. I have never had a breach plug seize.

I mainly use Triple 7 pellets or Blackhorn 209 loose powder these days. A lot of folks say the Blackhorn is more accurate, but I get the same results no matter which powder I use.

Triple 7 pellets are really, really convenient but you will get a crud ring in the barrel, right where the powder explodes under the bullet making it hard to seat a follow up shot. In order to seat a second shot I have to wet patch and clean the bore for the next bullet. This makes a quick follow up shot not very likely but I suppose with practice it could be done. Just have to make that first shot count.

With the Blackhorn 209, you do not get the crud ring and can seat a followup shot without swabbing the bore. Downside is you have to measue each powder charge and the stuff is really expensive compared to other powders.

All of my guns shoot Hornady XTP's 44 caliber .430" 240 grain bullets sitting in a 50 caliber Harvester Crush ribbed sabot. (Damian's also)

Stay away from the Powerbelt bullets that CVA pushes.

PM me if you need any more assistance and congrats on your new Muzzy!

Awesome! Thanks for the link. Yeah seems lots of websites and my guns manual are powerbelting me to death. It's a traditions buckstalker 50 cal by the way. Intro level muzzleloader there but seems pretty solid.

Comment

All of my muzzy's are entry level but they all do the same thing....shoot critters really dead!

That's a good gun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X