SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
    Like I commented in your thread in the Trad section, one of these days I'm gonna build one. For what ever reason, it overwhelms me and I don't know where to start.

David-- Yes, Osage and Bois d'arc are the same wood.
    It is intimidating to say the least. Today I learned what having the wrong tool can do to your hand (counted 7 blisters)

And since we are apparently posting pictures today.

Comment

Sam Houston Natl Forest. What this thread is all about. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
        Sam Houston Natl Forest. What this thread is all about. Lol

Not lately it hasn't. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by LilMissHunter View Post

This is one I just took

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Sweet!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Seriously *** is Sam?

Comment

He's a big tall guy that lives in in Huntsville

Comment

Seriously *** is Sam?

I just told you silly. The Sam Houston Natl Forest (SHNF). Where we all hunt. The title of this thread.
                Last edited by BowOnly81; 05-12-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Ohhhh lol I just read banter. Sorry about that! Hey maybe I can hunt there sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    Working on my first osage selfbow. Ran home during lunch to try out a draw knife I was fortunate enough to borrow. The bark came off easy, but the sap wood is kicking my *** as I am trying to go slow. I've got about 6 blisters on my hand now.
                    I wouldn't be too concerned about being easy with the sapwood. Hopefully your first stave is wide and thick, so rip it down, then practice chasing rings by cleaning it up to a solid ringed back. After that, count the rings on both ends to find the thickest ring that's closest to where you are. My first bow came out incredible. Lee and them saw it at my house at the gtg. I called Mike Yancey, and at a premium price, he sent me a stright wide stave that was perfect. Get some cabinet scrappers and learn to sharpen them.
                    Like I commented in your thread in the Trad section, one of these days I'm gonna build one. For what ever reason, it overwhelms me and I don't know where to start.

David-- Yes, Osage and Bois d'arc are the same wood.
                    You helped me with my first glass longbow, you know I'll help you with a selfbow. What ya waiting on?

Comment

Ohhhh lol I just read banter. Sorry about that! Hey maybe I can hunt there sometime.

No worries. It's pretty big. Bring lots of water if you do try to tackle that monster.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post

You helped me with my first glass longbow, you know I'll help you with a selfbow. What ya waiting on?
                        I need to order one from Mike. Does he sell his staves cured or will there be a drying period?

I have a cabinet scraper but no draw knife. Well, not one I know of. I will have to check the box in the barn that has all my Grandpa's old tools and see if one is hiding in there.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                          No worries. It's pretty big. Bring lots of water if you do try to tackle that monster.
                          And a good climbing stand!

Comment

I need to order one from Mike. Does he sell his staves cured or will there be a drying period?

I have a cabinet scraper but no draw knife. Well, not one I know of. I will have to check the box in the barn that has all my Grandpa's old tools and see if one is hiding in there.
                            I have a small one that worked good plus a variety of scapers, because 1 flat one just won't always do, you will end up working around dips, curves, etc.

Mikes staves seemed dried to me, but i also have a moisture meter if i can find it. I think he went up quite a bit on prices, but have not looked in a couple years. I think he was pine hollow longbows.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                              I wouldn't be too concerned about being easy with the sapwood. Hopefully your first stave is wide and thick, so rip it down, then practice chasing rings by cleaning it up to a solid ringed back. After that, count the rings on both ends to find the thickest ring that's closest to where you are. My first bow came out incredible. Lee and them saw it at my house at the gtg. I called Mike Yancey, and at a premium price, he sent me a stright wide stave that was perfect. Get some cabinet scrappers and learn to sharpen them.

Get your sorry tail over to the trad forum and participate on the selfbow thread!!!

Comment

I bought some scrapers... but I am without a good draw knife, so I am stalled out at the moment. Wish they had some good ones you could order new online.

Comment

Working...
                                X