• Show
Clear All

If you like those you would like the dirtnap drt and the solid legend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
      If you like those you would like the dirtnap drt and the solid legend

Me personally, I don't like the design with the vented blade that is held to the ferule with a screw. I shot mangus stingers and those things fell apart all the time. Don't get me wrong, I liked them... but I like the welded, all steel designs better.

Comment

I'll let you try them

Comment

So... my soon to be 11 year old tells us last weekend that he wants a saltwater fishing rod/reel for his birthday (in less than 2 weeks.) So I asked him what kind of saltwater fishing he wants to do. He tells me he wants to fish off the Jettys like we saw people do when we went down to Freeport for a campout (and likely what he saw folks doing when he was recently down at Matagorda for a canoe campout.) I'm thinking "whew" because for the most part, all I really need to do is upsize his tackle to a real spinning reel and a longer and more stout rod (like a catfish rod.)

That being said, the one and only time I went saltwater fishing was before he was born. Wife and I were down in Freeport for the weekend and we went out and bought some beefy "salt water" tackle and went fishing on that same Jetty (surfside side.) We bought some shrimp and fished the bottom like we would worms on a lake. I caught two sheepshead and 1 really decent sized drum. But that is all of my experience. (I remember that sheepshead freaking me out... first time I saw buckteeth on a fish!)

Now I am kind of wishing I had a fly rod for these conditions.... The biggest I have is a 6wt.

Comment

Honestly I use more light tackle in saltwater than anything else. You can even use your 6wt for redfish. For keto fishing with fly tackle use minimum heavy 8wt with at least a 350gr sink line

Comment

Headed to New Braunfels for some Schlitterbahn action with the family. Little 3 days trip while they're out of school. Already driving me nuts! Time for some Mexican food right now though.

Comment

Sounds fun. We got season passes to typhoon texas in katy. Gonna use them bad boys for sure

Comment

SR, the green sunfish do have a large mouth. I caught one that weighed 3lbs on a bathroom scale. It died before I could get it weighed.

I have 3-4 8 weight rigs. Personally I like my 6wt. I'm taking it in the salt next time I can. I could have caught plenty in Sabine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

The 8 wt will do anything

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                      Headed to New Braunfels for some Schlitterbahn action with the family. Little 3 days trip while they're out of school. Already driving me nuts! Time for some Mexican food right now though.
                      My wife and son are on mission trip this week and will be at Schlitterbahn tomorrow.
                      Sounds fun. We got season passes to typhoon texas in katy. Gonna use them bad boys for sure

Nees to let me know how you like that place. We saw them building it. My wife takes the kids to Pirates Bay in Baytown, But Typhoon is closer.
                      Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      SR, the green sunfish do have a large mouth. I caught one that weighed 3lbs on a bathroom scale. It died before I could get it weighed.

I have 3-4 8 weight rigs. Personally I like my 6wt. I'm taking it in the salt next time I can. I could have caught plenty in Sabine.

I had some reward points and was able to pickup a 4wt 7.5" Hobbs creek rod and an lower Intruder reel for free. I am second guessing not getting an 8wt rod now The reality is the 4wt will get more use.

I will give the 6wt a try. Will need to tie up a leeder. 30/20/15.

Comment

Friend of mine says it's great

Comment

I would go 36"-30lbs, 18"-20lbs, 18"-15lbs and 12"-12 lbs, and then a 12-24" 6lb tippet for a 4wt

Comment

I would go 36"-30lbs, 18"-20lbs, 18"-15lbs and 12"-12 lbs, and then a 12-24" 6lb tippet for a 4wt

Man that's a lot.

I usually just buy a tapered leader and add a section of tippet.

Seems to catch plenty.

Comment

I do too. But if I have to make one that is what formula I use and I up by 10 lbs at 7wt and another 10 at 9 wt.

On another note

Comment

Game set match. That's a great pic.

I started out making my leader and tippet. Too much work.
                                I guess I'm gonna have to break mine back out.

Comment

Working...
                                X