No announcement yet.

SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input SR it's my day off rain won't let me do regular chores so tie off it is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      Hey Buckshadow, welcome aboard, glad to see another Pasadena guy. I've always had an evil plan to take over this thread as a fishing thread but didn't realize it would be the fly guys doing it, haha.
      Greetings are mutual, I will help where I can. I must say I don't catch a lot of fish and in four years I've harvested 1 doe and a small piglet about 45lbs. But I really enjoy just getting out of the city weather it's out in the water or the woodline.

Comment

Originally posted by buckshadow View Post
        Greetings are mutual, I will help where I can. I must say I don't catch a lot of fish and in four years I've harvested 1 doe and a small piglet about 45lbs. But I really enjoy just getting out of the city weather it's out in the water or the woodline.

That is the point. If I relied on my hunting skills in the SAM to feed my family, I wouldn't have this nice 'shed'

Comment

There are a couple of lakes, ponds, streams within the boundaries of the Sam... I'd say fishing is "on topic"

Unfortunately I lost a bunch of my fly pictures. They are not spectacular, but they catch fish around here.

I just poked around, and I might have to pick up an inexpensive 7.5' 4pc 4wt rod. But I am on the fence. It would be the exact same model as the one I have. While I am happy with it, I am not sure I want the same thing in a different size...

Comment

Originally posted by buckshadow View Post
            Thanks for the input SR it's my day off rain won't let me do regular chores so tie off it is

Check out this thread:

It has a ton of pictures that I took the first year I started fly fishing and tying flies. (which was like 2 years ago.)

Post 220 has a picture of a box of flies I tied for a guy on the forum. There are a lot of good pictures in there... I tend to write a lot, you can scroll through all the babble, but the pictures will give you an idea of what fly fishing for me is all about.

Comment

For those that don't want to weed through the thread I posted. I don't use the wolly buggers much (in fact, I didn't tie those, I was giving them away because maybe they work for where they were at.)

Those things that I have labeled as not remembering, are like "bullet head something rather." I will tie the silly legs in two different ways. one way is streaming back like those were. In other cases I put a knot in them and tie them to look more like cricket legs. I just call them deer hair crickets... but I don't know the official name of the fly they are modeled from.

And you can see that my "Caddis fly" is very very basic. A rabbit hair or other synthetic dubbing body with some deer hair for the top. Nothing fancy. I can usually just cast this over where I know the gills are. It just sits on top of the water for a few seconds and BAM!!!! I very rarely have to give it action other than stripping it a few times to get it into position where the fish are.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SwampRabbit; 06-03-2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Probably smells like feathers and fur

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice tying SR. All my stuff now days is salt water

Comment

I'd love to fly for reds... but that would be another box of hooks, material, and rod/reel. Plus the time and paddling to find em.

Comment

I like Jacks more. 2/0 and v bigger hooks and big rods

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        I'd love to fly for reds... but that would be another box of hooks, material, and rod/reel. Plus the time and paddling to find em.
                        I love casting Flys on tailing reds.I got rid of my fly rod, kayak and all the Flys last year.

Comment

I too tie for catching fish...not fishermen.
                          I use the wolly bugger a lot and have great success with them. However I will say a bead head wolly bugger is far more effective than without. I also tie a few versions of a bead head peacock Herl that is very effective too.

My "go to" bass fly is one I call a cactus bunny.
                          Krystal channel body with a rabbit fur strip for a "wing" with a feather tail. Bead head/bead eyes/ glass eyes/ or the like.
                          I even caught a giant grass carp on one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet that grass carp was a heck of a battle!

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                              I bet that grass carp was a heck of a battle!
                              Yes sir, 45 minutes. He could pull hard.

Comment

We hired a new guy today.

Skinny, pimple faced redneck. I swear it's Daniels son! I'm going to call him, Dmack JR.

Comment

Working...
                                X