No announcement yet.

SHNF 16-17 BS thread ( Banter session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. Deer tail (clousers) rabbit hair, deer hair, rubber legs, and craft foam.

Comment

Originally posted by LilMissHunter View Post
      Another question.. Does anyone keep the tails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I did as a kid/teenager for "my trophies". Not now though.

And good job Andy. That auger couldn't be used to help you out? Or the front? (I think I see forks on the front so maybe not).

Comment

If anyone has a 12' trampoline frame they wanna get rid of, let me know. I'll buy it from you. Ours got damaged in this last storm.

Comment

I'll tie circles around yall

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post

Pfffft. You haven't seen us tie.

I will say I haven't tied in 10 years. I've tied so much stuff, I just don't need much more right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

The young lad is confident! But I am sure some of the elders can keep up with him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                If anyone has a 12' trampoline frame they wanna get rid of, let me know. I'll buy it from you. Ours got damaged in this last storm.
                Let me see what I have left of my kids trampoline Lee. I think I have most of the circle still here at the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

That would be awesome Tod. Thank you! I only need a few pieces but will take the whole thing as backup if you have it and don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post

Uh oh... I smell a tie off!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Uh oh... I smell a tie off!
                      How would you smell that? and what would it smell like?

And just curious, but how would you judge a tie off?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                        How would you smell that? and what would it smell like?

And just curious, but how would you judge a tie off?
                        Its in the air down here. If you fly fish, you'd be able to smell it. The streets are flowing like creeks... its everywhere.

Judging a person who ties flies. Some focus on the art, or the realism. I focus on effectiveness for the area and conditions. While some will tie a fly to showcase, I want a fly that catches fish that is either durable or can be tied quickly and cheaply.

A tie off in my book is tying a fly and seeing how much fish you can catch with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Its in the air down here. If you fly fish, you'd be able to smell it. The streets are flowing like creeks... its everywhere.

Judging a person who ties flies. Some focus on the art, or the realism. I focus on effectiveness for the area and conditions. While some will tie a fly to showcase, I want a fly that catches fish that is either durable or can be tied quickly and cheaply.

A tie off in my book is tying a fly and seeing how much fish you can catch with it.
                          I just recently started to tie. It's a great way to relax kind of like being out in the woodline. But I have not had any luck, the fish don't seem to like them at all, what do you use as far as colors go and set up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by buckshadow View Post
                            I just recently started to tie. It's a great way to relax kind of like being out in the woodline. But I have not had any luck, the fish don't seem to like them at all, what do you use as far as colors go and set up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                            I won't lie. I fish ponds and streams for smaller bass, and large sunfish. I do not have experience going after big largemouth or saltwater. I bet CMH will clue you in there.

For the smaller fish I tie the following

Clouser (easy to tie) on a #8 (bass)

A very simple version of an EHC (elk hair caddis) that kills the bluegills.

A deer hair cricket on a #10

Foam hoppers work really well. Sized for the target fish.

Foam poppers are good too. But they seem to be the same as a mini hopper. They have the advantage of an easier hook down than the hopper when they are small.

I sometimes get creative on small nymphs. Bead heads are your friend in various colors.

Some folks swear by the wollybuger... but I have had little luck with them. I have better luck with the other stuff.

I like to catch fish... even if it is bluegills, so I tie flies to maximize my opportunity to have my pole bend a few times when I get the chance to go.

Comment

I really want to get a 3wt setup. 8ft to handle somebof the tighter spots I like to fish.

Comment

Hey Buckshadow, welcome aboard, glad to see another Pasadena guy. I've always had an evil plan to take over this thread as a fishing thread but didn't realize it would be the fly guys doing it, haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X