Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I agree with the rooster also.

Comment

hey you guys posting live hunt posts while i been hunting in different areas really helps me decide where and when ill hit the woods... the hunting out there in the sam is the hardest ive ever hunted. with yalls reports and Intel sure beats any "study" ive ever read.

in other words thank yall!

Comment

Looks like it'll be raining in the am so as soon as it stops I'll be in the Sam. Should be good right after the rain. And all day Friday I'll be there.

Btw, backstrap is sooooooo good for breakfast too.

Comment

Just because the science doesn't back what you believe doesn't make it any less true. The breeding study involved the examination of 2,436 does, the largest number of deer ever utilized in a Texas breeding study. The date of conception can be determined by looking at fetus length. An average of 200 days from conception was used to determine fawning dates. Biologists got as much information as they could from the does collected. They looked at the timing of the rut and at breeding success on 16 study areas throughout Texas for three years.

All years were combined to produce the graphs that show the rut timing. In most areas the rut varied very little from year to year. You can use the map and graphs to determine the timing of the rut in your area of interest. Will the information help with the planning of your hunt? You be the judge.
          You can't argue good science.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jmichaelm;11811762]I am not trying to be dominate or display superiority over anyone I am just trying to introduce this group to new information especially to those new to hunting and looking to find good science based information on whitetail and how they work. As for Brazoria county I don't know when the rut is it's very specific to a region which helps ensure the survival of their young. The rut by definition is a seasonal event starting in fall and continuing into the winter in some rare cases even spring time. The does mulitiple cycles if not breed are not called ruts. I know what you are saying by multiple ruts it's just a slang usage of vocabulary. As for why I'm so passionainte about deer science it's because it's what I'm going to school for. I enjoy deer and duck hunting east Texas. I don't want to be confrontational by any means I apologize for any rude comments[/QUOTE

Let me be the second person to invite you to introduce yourself and start over. You're coming of as a first year college student studying biology. There's a couple hundred years of hunting expierence in this thread alone. I've been hunting for almost 50 years and the one thing I've learned is none of us know it all. I don't agree with everything said by everyone here and I'm sure they don't agree with me on everything I say but I sure as hell respect their opinions. Trust me one thing, spend time in the woods not a class room. Don't believe every thing you see on TV and go see for yourself. Good luck out there.

Comment

And yes love hunt post can be invaluable in any given area as it is very site specific information as one area my have does come in to heat a few days before a spot across the road. The main reason to know the average peak of the rut for this area is if someone needed to take one week off to hunt it should be that week (the second week in November for our area +or - 7 days ) as peak rutting activity will occur this week. You may not have observed this as some areas are better late in the season due to hunting pressure moving deer to a different area etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                Btw, backstrap is sooooooo good for breakfast too.
                I heard they're even better from deer taken in early November. You know, with all that adrenaline and hormone fluctuations not being an issue since the rut hasn't started yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmichaelm View Post
                  And yes love hunt post can be invaluable in any given area as it is very site specific information as one area my have does come in to heat a few days before a spot across the road. The main reason to know the average peak of the rut for this area is if someone needed to take one week off to hunt it should be that week (the second week in November for our area +or - 7 days ) as peak rutting activity will occur this week. You may not have observed this as some areas are better late in the season due to hunting pressure moving deer to a different area etc.....
                  thats funny i heard the same thing from the deer dr himself pete fettuci or something like that. very very similar. he also said after the first initial cool front and full moon all does go into a estrus cycle at the same time. sounds like a bunch of discombobulated bs to me from both ends. you can look him up and find his videos stating this on youtube.

i say you take how ever long you're in school to be a biologist and make a very detailed study on the shnf deer and tell me you can pattern and study individual deer daily and yearly. as i stated before i have hunted some big deer out there and have put countless weeks and days hell months when i wasnt working trying to pattern these guys... 9 times out of ten i never shot the buck i was targeting and i never patterned the deer to a t. rut or not its about 90 percent right place right time. these deer arent on feeder schedules and they sure as heck dont have a set date for the rut. ive seen different every year. ive never seen a deer chasing in our "peak" times actually with all the pressure from the gun hunters it was a miracle to see a deer sometimes. but dont take my word for it those pics i got on my profile arent shnf deer lol.

Comment

Not trying to be rude, but do you have any recent LDP's or success stories to back all of your postulations up?

Love this thread, mainly for the guys that contribute real life, woods experience and reports. Not saying that science doesn't have its place, but I personally rely and have more luck listening to and learning from the guys that have worn out boots and spent all of their vacation days chasing the elusive SHNF deer.

Comment

My name is Jon I was born and raised in this area, I hunt the Sam exclusively for deer. I'm excited for everyone's success this year and hope everyone on this thread will have a great hunting season this year. I spend about 500 hours a year in the Sam scouting hunting or even just hiking for good exercise. We can Change subjects guess the age and antler size on this buck I have on trail cam in the Sam

Comment

My name is Jon I was born and raised in this area, I hunt the Sam exclusively for deer. I'm excited for everyone's success this year and hope everyone on this thread will have a great hunting season this year. I spend about 500 hours a year in the Sam scouting hunting or even just hiking for good exercise. We can Change subjects guess the age and antler size on this buck I have on trail cam in the Sam

need more images to score or age him but id say a rough guess of in the high 120 low 130s and looking at his brisket and body 4-1/2 -5-1/2 year old deer. maybe a little older. velvet comes off im sure he will lose mass and hight which is what i guesstimated his score on.

Comment

Got it

Comment

Hey guys . Academy has a variety of bow strings on clearance for $9.98 that were $89.99 . Brand is First string . Not endorsing them but just passing on the info for those who may need a string on a low budget.

Comment

That is what I was guessing definitely the nicest deer I've had on camera in the Sam. Me and my friend have about 13 legal deer on camera regularly only one is daylight active right now and it's only post cold front. This heat is keeping bed up till dark

Comment

That is what I was guessing definitely the nicest deer I've had on camera in the Sam. Me and my friend have about 13 legal deer on camera regularly only one is daylight active right now and it's only post cold front. This heat is keeping bed up till dark

i wouldve thought the same thing and seeing the full moon wouldve had a big part of it but when i got home sunday my father-in-law told me he killed a buck sat morning around 9 am. hunted sun morning and seen a big ten he couldnt shoot because he already used his tag. idk dumb deer prolly never got the memo it was a full moon and its too hot to feed in the am lol jk of course

Comment

Working...
                                X