No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer will consume acorns all fall and winter first to go will be the white oak variety then they will switch to the red oak. Hard mast makes up about 25 percent of a whitails diet all fall and winter. Try oak flats in an evening hunt especially this weekend. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jmichaelm View Post
      The rut is the mating season of ruminant animals deer, sheep, ect... the rut is just a seasonal event starting in October running to January for our region there will be one main peak in breeding. when a fawn comes in to estrous and she is breed it's just called being breed during the rut
      So by your own admission, there is a second rut.
      Here in SE Texas the buck to doe ratio is skewed towards more does than bucks. No way a buck can breed all the does during the "rut". So, 28 days later ( give or take) the does come into estrous again and are ready to be bred. In the Sam, fawns are not old enough in Nov. to be bred. They usually come into estrous in Dec, and then again in Jan.
      So there is one main rut, we all agree on that. But then the does that haven't been bred will be bred in what? Pretty sure it's called a rut. So then there is a 2nd and a third rut.

For your information, the rut in brazoria county is OVER! It's not mid November.

I don't know where you get off jumping into this thread after only a few posts and try and assert your dominance over others with your "knowledge".
      We don't play like that here.

Try introducing yourself. Try and make a friend here before you go running so loose.

No one here asked for your "knowledge" so you're coming off as either the pushy salesman or a know it all.

Your "knowledge" isn't your "knowledge" it's others "knowledge" and their hard work.

I was at a concert last night supporting a good church friends daughter, so I haven't had time to look at any of your posts. They may be solid articles, just understand how this is coming across.

We don't know you from a wagon load of owl ****.

If you'd like to be taken seriously, try introducing yourself and let us know something about who you are and where you're from.

Then try and explain why you're so passionate about these studies.

Then perhaps we might be able to better understand where you are coming from.

This is just my opinion. It in no way reflects the opinions or ideals of TBH or anyone else on this thread. Just me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not trying to be dominate or display superiority over anyone I am just trying to introduce this group to new information especially to those new to hunting and looking to find good science based information on whitetail and how they work. As for Brazoria county I don't know when the rut is it's very specific to a region which helps ensure the survival of their young. The rut by definition is a seasonal event starting in fall and continuing into the winter in some rare cases even spring time. The does mulitiple cycles if not breed are not called ruts. I know what you are saying by multiple ruts it's just a slang usage of vocabulary. As for why I'm so passionainte about deer science it's because it's what I'm going to school for. I enjoy deer and duck hunting east Texas. I don't want to be confrontational by any means I apologize for any rude comments

Comment

I learned something. My cows go into the rut 12 times a year. Cause they're ruminants.... According to the biologist.... or is it one big rut?

Comment

I am too old for all of this.

Comment

Ok, fine! You roped me in too. I will not agree or disagree with you about the specifics. All I know is that all of our lives we've known these "phases" of "one big rut" as "the 1st rut, 2nd, 3rd" and so on. So that's what we'll (or maybe I should say 'I'll') keep calling them. I believe we really don't care about the specifics of what they're called. This new information obviously wasn't accepted right away, as most new information isn't, so I don't know why you're surprised and keep pushing. We kill deer quite regularly so evidently we know a little bit about deer and their behavior/movement/rut/etc. Just sayin.

Comment

Y'all have killed some very nice deer! It's amazing to see any deer killed out of the Sam much less a mature buck. I just loving seeing successful hunts take place and would love to see more. That's why I added my 2 cents maybe it will help someone get a deer. I'm sure someone on here will tag a great deer this weekend.

Comment

what is a rut.... jk guys jk talking about the rut to me is like when people talk about the flounder run... a lot of he said she said and first hand experiences.... best way to know when the bite or rut is good is listening to the locals not some bs magazine or report written every year.

Comment

These aren't just random articles one of the studies was done by tpwd on a regional basis for rut timing in specific regions

Comment

Yeah well I think when the moon phase is wrong, the weather is too hot and deer movement sucks, the rut doesn't even happen. Jesus himself comes down from Heaven impregnates the does through miraculous conception.

But if you see someone chasing the deer around wearing shorty-shorts and rubber boots pay them no mind. That's just dmack.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                        So by your own admission, there is a second rut.
                        Here in SE Texas the buck to doe ratio is skewed towards more does than bucks. No way a buck can breed all the does during the "rut". So, 28 days later ( give or take) the does come into estrous again and are ready to be bred. In the Sam, fawns are not old enough in Nov. to be bred. They usually come into estrous in Dec, and then again in Jan.
                        So there is one main rut, we all agree on that. But then the does that haven't been bred will be bred in what? Pretty sure it's called a rut. So then there is a 2nd and a third rut.

For your information, the rut in brazoria county is OVER! It's not mid November.

I don't know where you get off jumping into this thread after only a few posts and try and assert your dominance over others with your "knowledge".
                        We don't play like that here.

Try introducing yourself. Try and make a friend here before you go running so loose.

No one here asked for your "knowledge" so you're coming off as either the pushy salesman or a know it all.

Your "knowledge" isn't your "knowledge" it's others "knowledge" and their hard work.

I was at a concert last night supporting a good church friends daughter, so I haven't had time to look at any of your posts. They may be solid articles, just understand how this is coming across.

We don't know you from a wagon load of owl ****.

If you'd like to be taken seriously, try introducing yourself and let us know something about who you are and where you're from.

Then try and explain why you're so passionate about these studies.

Then perhaps we might be able to better understand where you are coming from.

This is just my opinion. It in no way reflects the opinions or ideals of TBH or anyone else on this thread. Just me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                        The Forest Whisperer has spoken. All other arguments are hereby rendered useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmichaelm View Post
                          These aren't just random articles one of the studies was done by tpwd on a regional basis for rut timing in specific regions
                          tpwd also ran a 2 mile long gill net for one of its "studies" and i have to say their studies are useless. how can you speak for a whole area off of a two mile stretch? how can this study be so accurate when you have 20+ avid hunters stating bs. seeing we had a early rut last year and looks to be the same this year as a study i read in fish and game predicted a late rut etc. my point is dont take these "studies" so serious put in your own time and make your own report and apply to next season... 8 years out there 4 decent bucks and i can only say this.... the best advice wasnt from studies it was reading daily or weekly reports from my tbh brothers as well as putting in my own time.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            But if you see someone chasing the deer around wearing shorty-shorts and rubber boots pay them no mind. That's just dmack.
                            OMG!!!! That was hilarious John!!!!!!

And thats rooster. Agree 100%. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                              Yeah well I think when the moon phase is wrong, the weather is too hot and deer movement sucks, the rut doesn't even happen. Jesus himself comes down from Heaven impregnates the does through miraculous conception.

Shorty shorts and boots. Haha made my day. Have a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That even made me chuckle. Lol[emoji13]

Comment

Working...
                                X