Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by austex123 View Post
    Thank you for that Kevin and HF. Reading all these posts on here certainly gave me the confidence to get out there and get to tryin'! My whole life I wanted to hunt, but my Mom raised me in the city (mostly) and her dad died before the tradition could be passed on.

The fact that I am doing this, 4th hunting season already, tagged out last year, is proof that getting out and going toe to toe with your food is ingrained deep within us. I have been so excited and enthusiastic and obsessed with this that I am constantly putting out feelers to see if I can make a hunting buddy.

I think the extreme costs of hunting in Texas, i.e. leases, is what keeps more people from hunting, or making new hunting friends. I mean, who wants to share the little slice they have with so few options. I get it.

What an amazing time we live in that I can reconnect with the original means of providing food for my family via YouTube videos and the Green Screen. Literally, I have learned to hunt just from that! Put deer down last year after learning things on here from HF and GarGuy specifically. Thank you guys for sharing on this forum, a tremendous resource and here's to a great 2016 season!

Me and my camelback full of water are headed to the gym for the stair step machine. I'm the guy at Planet Fitness with hunting boots and a backpack on at 5am LOL.
    That's awesome to hear. You're welcome to tag along some time. We can scout some new areas. Then you'll have at least one friend in the area.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunt by myself to . I could always use a little extra motivation. I'd hunt and scout with anybody that enjoys this sport to.

Comment

Thank you guys. I will reach out for sure once this season gets under way and I can talk my wife into a little December hall pass... one of the most challenging aspects of hunting for me .

I realized last weekend that I need to make as many scouting trips this winter as possible. Such a vast area, it must take years to get a handful of quality spots and access routes lined up.

One thing I would love to learn is how you guys move in the woods. I feel like I am not disciplined/patient enough in how I walk.

I learned a lot from this book: Stalking & Still-Hunting (The Ground Hunter's Bible) by G. Fred Asbell

Comment

It's very slow on here, A day and a half before the opener!

So where is everybody going to camp this year and is anybody going to camp?

Comment

hello
            im new here. just like to say good luck and safe trip to all. im new to hunting and shnf. im going to see what's out there hopefully on sunday morning.

Comment

Good luck pelochas.
              Will be out in the afternoons only for now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big One View Post
                I hunt by myself to . I could always use a little extra motivation. I'd hunt and scout with anybody that enjoys this sport to.
                You're on the prayer list, you'll have my #. I don't mind scouting new areas.

Comment

Originally posted by austex123 View Post
                  Thank you guys. I will reach out for sure once this season gets under way and I can talk my wife into a little December hall pass... one of the most challenging aspects of hunting for me .

I realized last weekend that I need to make as many scouting trips this winter as possible. Such a vast area, it must take years to get a handful of quality spots and access routes lined up.

One thing I would love to learn is how you guys move in the woods. I feel like I am not disciplined/patient enough in how I walk.

I learned a lot from this book: Stalking & Still-Hunting (The Ground Hunter's Bible) by G. Fred Asbell
                  Here is the thing about spots in the Sam.

They change. One year open, choked the next. Heavy deer movement, then void.

If you haven't noticed, we're always scouting. Always looking for another/ better spot. I was lucky, I had a spot pay off for about 4 years. Now it's getting grown up and I can barely hunt it. Plenty of deer there, just can't see them anymore. In a year or two, I should be able to get back in there when the underbrush either grows up or dies off.

It's a never ending cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                    You're on the prayer list, you'll have my #. I don't mind scouting new areas.

That's cool I will definitely take you up on that

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                      It's very slow on here, A day and a half before the opener!

So where is everybody going to camp this year and is anybody going to camp?
                      Well my excuse is I just drove 7.5 hrs to work. Now I can jabber.

And we'll said Damian. It does change every year. Constantly moving spots/trees. And that's why I hunt the Sam; the challenge.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_184403.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24464794Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_184416.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	24464795Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_185508.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	24464796

Wow... so been avoiding an area i had success in last year all summer. Didn't want to spread my scent through there until go time. Figured id slip in there and check the acorn crop and instead i find this hunk of $#!+ posted up right under the tree i normally put my climber in! All i can say is... Some Peoples Kids. After doing some demo and trash cleanup, i headed in a little further and ran across this hog trap. Seeing more and more of this type of stuff, its ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. I hope the guy who set all this junk up sees this post, youre a worthless, lazy wannabe hunter.. not to mention a litter bug. Lets keep our forests clean and pristine, DONT MESS WITH TEXAS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ambush looks like you have your area all set up . But personally I would of not used the orange Bucket!!

But seriously I hope you took care of that stuff dismantled it. Before you backed out. I hate finding stuff like that .

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                            Ambush looks like you have your area all set up . But personally I would of not used the orange Bucket!!

But seriously I hope you took care of that stuff dismantled it. Before you backed out. I hate finding stuff like that .
                            Lol, ya HotRod i definitely took care of the little bump feeder... the hog trap is a whole different story, gonna need a few tools to get that sucker cut out of there. Project for another day [emoji41]

Comment

That's ridiculous! Glad you took care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                                [ATTACH]816166[/ATTACH][ATTACH]816167[/ATTACH][ATTACH]816168[/ATTACH]

Wow... so been avoiding an area i had success in last year all summer. Didn't want to spread my scent through there until go time. Figured id slip in there and check the acorn crop and instead i find this hunk of $#!+ posted up right under the tree i normally put my climber in! All i can say is... Some Peoples Kids. After doing some demo and trash cleanup, i headed in a little further and ran across this hog trap. Seeing more and more of this type of stuff, its ridiculous and there is no excuse for it. I hope the guy who set all this junk up sees this post, youre a worthless, lazy wannabe hunter.. not to mention a litter bug. Lets keep our forests clean and pristine, DONT MESS WITH TEXAS!

Report it to the GW. He should go by and try and catch so.eone hunting over it. That's his job. Although he does get busy and can't always get by them. But I know he tries to catch those that would be hunting over feeders like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X