Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axeman149 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info, it looks like I have some serious learning to do about shnf! I plan on only bow hunting while im here for the next 3 years, so I will be frequenting this site to learn as much as I can about Texas hunting.
    Do your self a favor, get online and read up on public hunting on the Sam. There is plenty of info and plenty of rules.
    Get your license early and your Aph ($48 annual public hunting) or whatever they call it. Soon after getting that they will send you a booklet. That map booklet has all of the rules you need to know.

Read them!

There are several in there that most hunters don't know about.

Like you must remain 50 yards from any boundary, and 150 yards from any structure, camp or designated trail. ( I don't remember all the verbiage) no baiting, etc. Having this knowledge will make it that much easier to know where you can hunt with out any problems.
    There was a pretty good write up on last year's thread with links to all of the information. Don't know if I'll have time to try and find it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

If I did it right....

Comment

Ahh, the infamous 5417 violations. That will surpass the legend of its creator... may he rest in peace

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
          There is absolutely no reason you can't hunt this season. That being said, be prepared to put in some work. You will need to pick an area and at least scout one day. Pick out an area where you find sign and mark a spot to hunt. Then, it's an ongoing chess match. If you see deer from the stand, move. If after a couple sits you don't see any deer, move. It's all a matter of finding a good area. Climbing stands are about the only way to go. Be prepared to climb up high too. 20 is good, but 30 is better.
          I'm going to hunt some new areas this year and was supposed to be scouting today, but the weather has me home. So it's never too late.

Truth!!!

I will go hunt if I have not scouted. Any day in the woods is a good day. An unsuccessful day in the woods means I learned something. All scouting is, is "speed hunting" in my book. You move around, looking for sign (something you should still do every time you walk in and sit in a spot.) When you scout, you are trying to avoid sitting in the wrong place. Truth be told, just cause a place looks good or bad... doesn't mean it is actually good and/or bad. It might be a transition spot that is hard to ID.

So... like HF said... go hunt, even if you can't scout it out first.

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
          Ahh, the infamous 5417 violations. That will surpass the legend of its creator... may he rest in peace
          Ha ha ha ha!

What was that guy's name anyhow? Freddie or something like that right?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Truth!!!

I will go hunt if I have not scouted. Any day in the woods is a good day. An unsuccessful day in the woods means I learned something. All scouting is, is "speed hunting" in my book. You move around, looking for sign (something you should still do every time you walk in and sit in a spot.) When you scout, you are trying to avoid sitting in the wrong place. Truth be told, just cause a place looks good or bad... doesn't mean it is actually good and/or bad. It might be a transition spot that is hard to ID.

So... like HF said... go hunt, even if you can't scout it out first.

Ha ha ha ha!

What was that guy's name anyhow? Freddie or something like that right?
            It was Eddie.
            Hot rod Eddie.

He is moving to SC.

I'll say this, I've hiked a mile in to hunt a spot, and hiked out for lunch and noticed deer tracks over my boot prints. On the way back in, I stopped, picked a tree near those tracks and saw deer. I'd never have stopped and said this was the spot to hunt, but the fresh tracks told me I should.
            Also, I've seen deer use a trail in the morning and then I moved and got on them that afternoon.
            Most of all that is luck, but I'd rather be lucky than good.

Comment

It was Eddie.
              Hot rod Eddie.

He is moving to SC.
              Wow, you have a really good memory!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Wow, you have a really good memory!
                It happened last year.
                Eddie was a regular here. I've met and talked to him at a couple of the GTG. He is good people.
                He knows the pains of having someone burn you and your spot. That's how his post came to be. I said it for years, he put it all down in one post.

That post became legend.

Comment

Amen to that. So David, you're saying they did already do some burns over there? I've got three spots I need to check on.

They burned a number of places this spring. Now they are going to thin more places.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderin39 View Post
                    They burned a number of places this spring. Now they are going to thin more places.
                    I'd like to come up that way and check some spots.
                    Kevin said you might tag along and give some insight.

Comment

But like Kevin said, since the burning, it is thicker than ever. Took a stand with me one day, climbed up about 20 feet and could watch them watching me from about 100 yards. But has to be better than last year.

Comment

Damian I may go out to the forest at some point this weekend and check that old area we'd found with the white oaks. Friday is my wife's birthday and my in-laws are coming back over (again). I haven't been out there much recently like I should, but I always did like that spot anyway.

I also want to go back and look at the area I shot the doe back in 2012 (i.e. the infamous 1.25 mile deer drag). I think it was burned in '13 or '14 so perhaps it bears a looksee.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderin39 View Post
                          But like Kevin said, since the burning, it is thicker than ever. Took a stand with me one day, climbed up about 20 feet and could watch them watching me from about 100 yards. But has to be better than last year.
                          I hear ya about it being grown up. The burns tend to do that. However the loggings don't. Still if you could see deer 100 yards away, you were doing good.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            Damian I may go out to the forest at some point this weekend and check that old area we'd found with the white oaks. Friday is my wife's birthday and my in-laws are coming back over (again). I haven't been out there much recently like I should, but I always did like that spot anyway.

I also want to go back and look at the area I shot the doe back in 2012 (i.e. the infamous 1.25 mile deer drag). I think it was burned in '13 or '14 so perhaps it bears a looksee.
                            John, I have those spots on my list to check this year.

Comment

I couldn't find any dates for the planned thinning in the letter.

Comment

It happened last year.
                                Eddie was a regular here. I've met and talked to him at a couple of the GTG. He is good people.
                                He knows the pains of having someone burn you and your spot. That's how his post came to be. I said it for years, he put it all down in one post.

That post became legend.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Duh!

On another note, guess I need to buckle down and go scout this next two weeks. Dang rain all week might make that interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X