Clear All

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
    Pm me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    PM coming

Comment

got er done now

Comment

I'm not that impatient. I can wait til all the draw hunts are open and decide if I'm putting in for anything. Then there's one particular place nearby that I'm putting in for, which isn't on the tpwd page and still a traditional post card hunt. That's the one I'm really aftr this year.

Comment

Why does venison have to be so tasty?

Tod and I have talked about this in the past. We ( the hunters) really need to band together and form our own group. This group would be much better received than individuals. I just don't have the time to organize and maintain it.
          As a group of hunters, I think we could make a valid point to the TPWD and to SHNF that ANYONE using the forest during an open hunting season ( which is year round in the Sam) MUST wear orange. The "other" users of the forest don't wear orange and don't know why we are. With more and more people using the forest, it's only a matter of time before an accident happens.
          As more and more trails are being put into the forest, there are more chances for incidents.
          The new trails take acerage away from hunters, which increases congestion as we can not spread out more, which ultimately leads to more law breaking and poaching.

As an example, if I have 10 acres to hunt and a trail is put through the middle, and I have to maintain a buffer around said trail, I now have maybe 5 acres to hunt. I have to keep away from boundaries so now I'm down to 4. Add 4 hunters and it's pretty crowded. Now have hikers come through the area and the deer have been run off. ( Harassment?) So how do the hunters get the deer to come in and stay?
          Baiting.
          Now the hunters have a chance, except now there are 6 hunters.
          The game warden closes the top section, so now all 6 hunters are in the bottom 2 acres. The trail people are still getting what they want, it's only the hunters that are punished/inconvenienced.
          I know, I know, this is way too far fetched. Or is it?
          I'll tell you that's almost exactly what's happening in the Archery only area.
          The SHNF probably will not make more or another archery only section unless we ask. Which is why we need to band together. I'm willing to be a member, and a helper. I just don't have time to spear head it.

We all need to get behind one common goal.

Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Amen Damian. A very similar situation played out on myself and Wanderin ( David ) this past season. We scouted early and often and had some good deer in our area. The day before the season opened a group moved in and baited a very large area of where we were going to hunt. The sun comes up and David sees bait on the ground and has to move. Long story short it went on all season and pushed us right out of the area. Numerous calls to the game warden and numerous arrests and fines later it's still going on in that area. I believe the ones still doing it now know we can't hunt the area after we report it. We have to wait 10 days before hunting that area. My point is there's a lot of people out there with an agenda against what we do. We need to make our own agenda heard also. It's our money that's paying to build those trails. I know we're all spread a little thin with busy lives but let's not be here in five years wondering what happened to the place we hunt. I'm willing to put some skin in the game for whatever this group decides. The next GTG is hopefully coming soon. Maybe we need to talk about this as a group and decide if it's something we can or want to do. Either way I want you guys to know how much I appreciate the friendships I have with this group. Wow I think that's the most I've said in 5 years on here.

Comment

I'm in to help but like Damian don't have time to head it up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Do we have to have an official name and register it with the state, or could someone start sending letters to TPWD just purporting to be from the "Sam Houston National Forest Hunters Alliance", or whatever other name?

Comment

Count me in to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Do we have to have an official name and register it with the state, or could someone start sending letters to TPWD just purporting to be from the "Sam Houston National Forest Hunters Alliance", or whatever other name?
                    That's a good question. I'm no Google expert but I'll start looking.

Comment

Yall get with the District Ranger Warren Oja, he will tell you how to do it. I always have been pushing for this, I just didn't want to head it up by myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

We had better do something, the Trail Coalition is extremely organized and are going to keep pushing trails until we're eventually pushed out.<br />
                        <br />

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                          We had better do something, the Trail Coalition is extremely organized and are going to keep pushing trails until we're eventually pushed out.<br />
                          <br />

Is Warren in the New Waverly offfice? And would he even be as agreeable to us as he has to the Trail Coalition? If not, maybe someone in the Lufkin office would be better?

Comment

Yes, he runs the Sam out of the NW office.

Yes, he would be very helpful. He wanted us to organize a couple of years ago. I've met with him in the past, he is a good fella.

Comment

What do you think is the best way to approach this Todd? You meet with him or a group meet with him?

Comment

My vote is for a small group of us to go meet with him.

Wouldn't hurt for us to study up on how to form a club also.

Comment

Working...
                                X