No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We found some good rubs. A few white oaks. There is a pond, though I don't remember if there is a box on it. I did jump a bedded deer near there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm gonna be headed back out there soon. My wife is going out of town next weekend and the following. Really messing up fair weather scouting

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

This may have been asked before, but I cannot find it on here.

I know that if you Hunt public land, you cannot bait them but you can use lures such as doe in heat, doe urine or doe in estrus.... on the hog side of things I assume the same is true. But my question is what about pig oil or buck oil by elusive wildlife technologies.

They are located here in Conroe and I was in there shop that has been redone and they had a video playing about it. It is an attractant that they like to rub against... would this be legal? Do we have a game warden on this thread that can weigh in?

Comment

The rules say no baiting. Under the definitions page baiting is described as something that is ingested. ( Pretty sure that's what I remember)

I saw that pig rub stuff also and was thinking the same thing. Think I might try some out and slay some pigs.

Comment

Quick search on my phone.

Here is an I retesting one.

What is a recreational user?

Comment

Wow, so according to the outdoor annual

So if this is the case,
              EVERYONE should be wearing orange. Scouting, hiking, bike riding, off road use, everyone.

Wonder why Warren Oja doesn't see this the same way?
              Very interesting.

Comment

Yep, everyone that recreates in the Sam is required to wear orange......they just don't enforce it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Huntinfool. I was hoping that since they rub against it if you put it on a tree that it would not count as "food" but it looks like the only lure you can use is animal scents... I appreciate the input.

Comment

I have stick bow hunted from a tree, but I haven't killed anything from a tree. Here are my musings on it.

Shooting seated can be done... however it is a challenge, even on a hang-on stand (no rail). Since you have to bend at the waist, your lower limb automatically wants to hit the platform. Because of this, I like to keep my stand at around 12'. I've asked a lot of folks about this one, and even based on my own experience, the higher you get, the harder it is to shoot due to limb length. 12-15' seems to be the sweet spot.

If you stand, your get a little bit more, but not as much as you think, that limb will eventually find your leg.

Climbers... you have to have an open climber like Tod and Damian mentioned. Bars are a no-go. Some have an open front, but I'd say you don't want any because you may not want to limit yourself in one direction. I had a 12 yard shot on a buck this year that was 180 degress from where I was setting up for... if I hadn't had a big limb in my way, I could have shot.

There are many ways to get better at farther distances, and all of them take time and depend on your shooting style (instinctive vs gap) etc. I tend to practice mostly at 15, and work my way back and forward. That distance used to be 12 a year ago, now it is 15.

The ball one is a good one. However, I tend to like to train my brain initially by shooting at the same spot over and over until my brain figures out what that shot picture looks like. I then start walking back, and again shoot until my brain figures it out. You are training your brain to figure out the distance and what the shot picture should look like. For my brain at least, my brain needs to have known comfort spots. then I train it by confusing it and letting it relearn. It is kinda like when my son wanted to learn to throw the football. I kept telling him we needed to warm up at shorter distances so his brain could focus on the basics and then start stretching it out. Eventually, we could start our throwing in the back yard more than just 5 yards apart.

Comment

These are the same inconveniences that I experienced at 15' this past season hunting at my cousins property with a 60" longbow. I am now rigging up to start hunting with a tree saddle. It is more of a sling system where you face the tree but it allows you to turn and pivot without the obstruction of a typical lock on or climber. If all goes well, once I get all of the components tweaked, I will post it on here as a light and mobile alternative to lock-ons and climbers!

Comment

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                        These are the same inconveniences that I experienced at 15' this past season hunting at my cousins property with a 60" longbow. I am now rigging up to start hunting with a tree saddle. It is more of a sling system where you face the tree but it allows you to turn and pivot without the obstruction of a typical lock on or climber. If all goes well, once I get all of the components tweaked, I will post it on here as a light and mobile alternative to lock-ons and climbers!
                        I still in one of those once....Once.
                        Never again. Most uncomfortable seat and couldn't keep from making noise. ( That was me, maybe you'll have better luck)

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                          I still in one of those once....Once.
                          Never again. Most uncomfortable seat and couldn't keep from making noise. ( That was me, maybe you'll have better luck)

What we're you using? They can be very expensive and some uncomfortable. I have gone with a "home made" version with a strong backup just in case something fails. I have only sat for short periods (2 to 4 hours) and it has been better than my cheap lock on stands but again, this is for short periods of time I have tested them.

Comment

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                            What we're you using? They can be very expensive and some uncomfortable. I have gone with a "home made" version with a strong backup just in case something fails. I have only sat for short periods (2 to 4 hours) and it has been better than my cheap lock on stands but again, this is for short periods of time I have tested them.
                            Man that was 20 years ago. I have no clue what name it was.

Comment

I would think the "achilles heel" for a right handed shooter, while sitting in a Tree Saddle, would be trying to make a shot on an animal that comes in from the right.

Comment

Bingo

Comment

Working...
                                X