No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how or why ive never seen this rule about 1 buck... never seen it written or even heard mention until today. Itd not in the Public Lands Booklet that i remember. Strange-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Always been in the pamphlet. Talking to local leo or gw always helps clear things up. When in doubt its cheaper to make a phone call.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjams4110 View Post
        I have had enough! I'm sick and tired of seeing deer 70-100 yrds out. Rifle is coming out tomorrow morning. Hunted till about 8:30, had to go to work. Deer were on their feet when I left.
        Seen one of the biggest does i have in conroe this am taking my daughter to the baby sitter. Crossing exxon road she looked about 190+ my wife said look a buck i said no babe thats a big doe!

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
          Just know those are state limits. The Sam has its own set of limits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It does I just posted this cause it explains that all wma are one buck only no matter the county. I too have an ldp to fill. I've seen fewer does in day light than bucks this year is odd for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmichaelm View Post
            It does I just posted this cause it explains that all wma are one buck only no matter the county. I too have an ldp to fill. I've seen fewer does in day light than bucks this year is odd for me

all wma are one buck only, no matter the county. but some wma show that you can go with one or even two spikes and a one buck of 13" spread. just not two bucks of 13" min spread.

Comment

Okay WOW, so just got off the phone with the Sam Houston National Forest office and this is what I was told... you're only allowed one buck on public land for the entire state of Texas! If this is true, being i shot a buck in the Davy Crockett I'm not allowed to shoot a buck in the Sam Houston??? Going to call the actual GW and confirm, but this is not looking good for the rest of my season-

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                Okay WOW, so just got off the phone with the Sam Houston National Forest office and this is what I was told... you're only allowed one buck on public land for the entire state of Texas! If this is true, being i shot a buck in the Davy Crockett I'm not allowed to shoot a buck in the Sam Houston??? Going to call the actual GW and confirm, but this is not looking good for the rest of my season-

No way. No where specifies that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                  No way. No where specifies that.

The lady told me it's in the big public hunting lands booklet on page Xi and pg115... don't have my book with me but I'm sure as heck going to look when I get home. Also just put a call in to the game warden so he should be contacting me shortly-

Comment

The lady told me it's in the big public hunting lands booklet on page Xi and pg115... don't have my book with me but I'm sure as heck going to look when I get home. Also just put a call in to the game warden so he should be contacting me shortly-

No way... if my season is over I'm about to throw a fit.

Comment

No way... if my season is over I'm about to throw a fit.

As soon as I hear back from the Game Warden I will post an update-

Comment

That can't be true. First off not all public land is equal. There are wma's , federal land, state land, etc. the Sam is both us forest and wma. The Dcnf has a wma within it but mostly is just national forest. Then lake Meredith is completely federal land. Typically wildlife is managed by state regardless of what property type it resides on. In the states eyes I can't see how a deer taken on lake Meredith or the non wma dcnf land can be considered taken off "public" state land and count towards your one buck.

There is also the problem of drawn hunts. If that was true why would you in theory be able to draw multiple hunts across the state, which now provide their own tags not attached to your license. It seems to me to uphold this they would restrict you to only being able to draw one tpwd hunt?

Comment

As soon as I hear back from the Game Warden I will post an update-

I just looked at pg 115 and it says in the sam you can only kill one buck. But I don't believe it's referring to the whole state as it shows only the sam on that page

Comment

I just looked at pg 115 and it says in the sam you can only kill one buck. But I don't believe it's referring to the whole state as it shows only the sam on that page

And I looked at the other page. Says 2 bucks to doe. I'm assuming this is only referring to the wmas. Dcnf you don't pay for.

Comment

You can shoot only one buck in the Sam. Either a one unbranched antler deer or a buck with over a 13" spread.
                              However in the DCNF you can shoot two deer. One unbranched antler buck AND one buck over 13".

Several other WMA's allow 2 bucks. No where does it say that you can only shoot one buck in all WMA's combined?

I NEVER trust the girls at the office. I know they mean well, but they are not hunters and don't really know the rules. ( In my humble opinion) I've asked questions in the past to clarify a rule and they said the absolute wrong answers back. I've even verified these with the GW. So I wouldn't trust their opinion. They don't enforce the laws there. The GW does.

Heck, when I was talking to the GW I mentioned that I was going to start hunting the DCNF now because I was tagged out on bucks in the Sam. He never said I couldn't and we started talking about hunting the DCNF.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                                You can shoot only one buck in the Sam. Either a one unbranched antler deer or a buck with over a 13" spread.
                                However in the DCNF you can shoot two deer. One unbranched antler buck AND one buck over 13".

Several other WMA's allow 2 bucks. No where does it say that you can only shoot one buck in all WMA's combined?

I NEVER trust the girls at the office. I know they mean well, but they are not hunters and don't really know the rules. ( In my humble opinion) I've asked questions in the past to clarify a rule and they said the absolute wrong answers back. I've even verified these with the GW. So I wouldn't trust their opinion. They don't enforce the laws there. The GW does.

Heck, when I was talking to the GW I mentioned that I was going to start hunting the DCNF now because I was tagged out on bucks in the Sam. He never said I couldn't and we started talking about hunting the DCNF.

I figured this was the case, she didn't seem that knowledgeable that's why I'm trying to get ahold of the game warden himself... there is another question I needed to discuss with him anyway regarding the use of the 3rd Buck tag.. Patiently awaiting a return phone call.

Now I see why we have a poaching problem. Tryin to get ahold of the game warden is like trying to get ahold of Obama!

Comment

Working...
                                X