No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning ....annoying newcomer to shnf post.

I'm fairly new to the green screen and this is my first season I will hunt the Sam. Why I have never hunted it is a mystery to me since I live so close. I have yet to hunt it yet due to having other hunting trips planned earlier this year. I have however gone a few times in august and September on scouting trips, sticking to some of the smaller parcels, and truthfully finding good deer sign but enough sign that surrounding landowners seem to use the area heavily. That being said I'm still searching for a few good spots. (Note: I am not asking for tips on areas just stating where I'm at at this point.) on each spot out of fear of where to park I would park at a very clear trailhead where I was off the road but not blocking a gate. I have studied the rules on all fronts extensively but the one thing I am completely unclear on is parking a vehicle within the forest. Can you park on the roads as long as you are not impeding traffic? Can you pull just off the road, or is it smarter to park at designated trail heads as I have done?

Thanks for any insight available and good luck to everyone this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome MH6! I'm sure someone will chime in here in a minute to answer your questions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome mh6, you can pull off the road as long as you don't impede traffic and like you said don't block any gates at a trail head.judt make sure you don't get stuck when you pull off the road.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
          Welcome mh6, you can pull off the road as long as you don't impede traffic and like you said don't block any gates at a trail head.judt make sure you don't get stuck when you pull off the road.

Thanks! I figured it was allowed, I just wanted confirmation before I did. There are three or four spots I want to check that I found from topo and Ariels but the closest roads have no trails or intersections and I was just nervous parking along side of road without knowing if it was ok.

Also, has anyone had luck with rattling in the sam. Down south it works well but I've found in the hill country it really doesn't work. Just curious to see if anyone here has tried it.

Comment

Simply put, NO.. does not work well enough to be considered a viable option. The Buck to Doe ratio is far too off balance for there to much competition... not saying sometime somewhere somebody did not rattle in a buck, but it just does not happen often. Find a good trail or funnel to set up on and hunt the movement, calling is very hit or miss in this part of Texas-

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
              Simply put, NO.. does not work well enough to be considered a viable option. The Buck to Doe ratio is far too off balance for there to much competition... not saying sometime somewhere somebody did not rattle in a buck, but it just does not happen often. Find a good trail or funnel to set up on and hunt the movement, calling is very hit or miss in this part of Texas-

Ok! good info. That is exactly what my gut was telling me. I hunt some family land in the hill country and it is the same scenario there. I feel like rattling almost runs them off there! lol. So I can definitely see how that could be the case here.Thanks.

Comment

I got a nice one in the Sam this morning thank the lord !

Comment

Congrats Micheal.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Yes pull off anywhere. Lock your vehicle and hide all valuables. Yes, it happens here.

I don't rattle much anymore. I too don't believe it helps. Now, I've grunted at bucks and had them come right in....but it has to be the right time of year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the buck. Never seen one with that dark of a face.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats BC!

Welcome mhunter.

Congrats jmichael.

Comment

Thanks guys ! I actually heard the woods crashing like a chase grunted and he came in about 10 yards to my left and that was it for him

Comment

Awesome cant wait to get my first sam kill

Comment

Congrats BC on tagging out, you've had a heck of a year!

Congrats on a great buck JMM, bow kill or rifle kill? You killed him at 10 yards, that becomes a tad challenging with a rifle, thus the question.

Welcome to hunting the Forest, mhunter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X