No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa wants to let TPWD run the hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it get pretty crowded down there during these bow hunts? I know the gun hunt had I think 36 people and that wasn't bad. Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptTank View Post
      Does it get pretty crowded down there during these bow hunts? I know the gun hunt had I think 36 people and that wasn't bad. Just wondering...
      Gonna get crowded the first couple days. I've bee well off the beaten track and have had hunters walking by me at all hours. Best just sit and wait

Comment

My dad and I also got drawn on the Nov 25th hunt. Is the deer population good and worth the 10 hour drive? Any chances in seeing nilgai? Is there a mandatory orientation on Friday? Is the camping primitive? Any and all details are welcome... thanks and see you guys soon

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
          My dad and I also got drawn on the Nov 25th hunt. Is the deer population good and worth the 10 hour drive? Any chances in seeing nilgai? Is there a mandatory orientation on Friday? Is the camping primitive? Any and all details are welcome... thanks and see you guys soon
          Deer population good. It's up to you to drive 10 hours. Yes, you will probably see nilgai. No mandatory orientation that I know of. No camping allowed at the refuge, but there is a state park at Arroyo city you can camp. There are some hotels/motels in Laguna Heights and Port Isabel, about a 20-30 minute drive from the refuge.

Comment

My status says pending second drawing too. Here's to hoping!

Comment

How many guys get Nilgai with a bow out there each year?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have my hopes set too high for a nilgai this trip. They culled it by helicopter pretty severely this year. There are some decent whitetails there though.

Comment

Any idea what archery success rates have been in years past?

Comment

My group was drawn for the Teniente Dec 15-18 hunt period. Looking forward to it! Is mid Dec rut time down there?

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                      I just got picked archery deer at LAWR Nov 25-29. I am happy and need redemption from missing two deer last year, including a very nice big bodied buck. Anyone need help out there, let me know. I only live 20-25 minutes from the place.
                      I greatly appreciate it! I may hit you up for some info once we get closer. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkInTX View Post
                        Any idea what archery success rates have been in years past?
                        Don't know the actual numbers but I would bet it's in the single digits.

Comment

I won't be hunting Laguna for the 1st time in 20 years thanks to the new draw system.
                          Success rate is very low and the majority of that "success" has always been hogs and fawns. Definitely some nice bucks and nilgia to be had but they don't come easy. Nilgia will be close to 1% sucess and good bucks about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
                            I won't be hunting Laguna for the 1st time in 20 years thanks to the new draw system.
                            Success rate is very low and the majority of that "success" has always been hogs and fawns. Definitely some nice bucks and nilgia to be had but they don't come easy. Nilgia will be close to 1% sucess and good bucks about the same.
                            Yup I hate that they went to the online system too. Sucks that the people that were already putting in and hunting there odds of drawing went so far down.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                              Don't know the actual numbers but I would bet it's in the single digits.
                              So, you're sayin' there's a chance?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkInTX View Post
                                So, you're sayin' there's a chance?!?!
                                Very small chance for the average hunter. Work hard and your chances will go up.

Comment

Working...
                                X