Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Let me show ya something....

Let’s say this is my favorite hunting spot in the whole wide world (shown at the end of the path marked in the image); then lets say I built this awesome blind when I was 13 years old and now that I'm 31, I have a lot of special memories in this blind. Like killing my first everything out of and have had some heartbreakers in this blind by missing the big ten point I nick-named ICEBOX... So now that I can't drive to it cause "THE STATE" needs my forty-eight dollars to put towards "Wildlife Conservation" and will require that I have to walk to my favorite blind that I only had up for the last 18 years and have driven all the way to and setup the feeder and hauled corn and salt licks and every bail of alfalfa and even picked up the deer I harvested at the feeder and NO I’m not “just find somewhere else CLOSER".... why should I have to?
    So now that I took a joyful hike in the dark mind you! Cause I want to be at my blind early so I get to sit and wait and hope and pray that wildlife conservation works and I might get a chance at one of those giant 115" 10 points.... Imagine this then, what if I successfully harvested my trophy 115" deer? Where's the truck? Oh that's right, back at the special parking area to make it fair for everyone..... and thinking to myself “for as long as I could remember I have been able to walk back to the truck and bring the truck to the deer not backpack the deer to the truck”... but now that the state says my driving interferes with the “wildlife conservation” efforts…. I can’t. No logical thinking or considering the mass area in which TBR consists of! Mind you this image of this path to my special blind isn’t even to the back of area 3 I’m just at the back of area 4! So if you had your favorite blind back in the big trees of area 3 you’re talking another 1500 yards, Awesome, I love hiking! Look at all the different hunting areas of on Twin Buttes especially area 1, you would have to park 200 yards off the highway at the special designated parking area, and then walk to the dam, and remember you’re are NOT allowed on the dam to make your trip shorter because it’s illegal to be on the dam, you have to walk all the way around the end of the dam just to get to the “hunting area” everything in front of the dam is NOT considered hunting area, remember that! (Image beyond)… and for all you guys who love to hunt the island at the back of area 1, take a look at this awesome joyful hike you get to embark on!

I get it… y’all think I should gut the deer strap him to my back and joyfully remind myself that hiking is so joyful with 140-170 pounds of deer is strapped to my back! Great I’m 6 foot flat, d-amn near 300 pounds I don’t mind that so much… what about all the little guys that weigh as much as that deer they just harvested? Think they are going to want to carry their own way plus match it and joyfully hike back to the truck? “Well why not get a wagon and use that to get the deer out?” you ask. Sure you can do that, get you a wagon but good luck finding a road or a trail to go down since the evil trucks haven’t been running up and down the roads and now the awesome mesquites have taken it over and it just isn’t a joyful hike anymore. Ever tried dragging a wagon with 150 pounds of weight in it through mud? Bet that’s fun too!
    Alright this is long winded enough, I sincerely hope you understand that being able to leave work and sneak in a hunt in the evening is something that I truly enjoy. Because I don’t have to hike 2 miles I can drive within 800 yards and not worry about where the deer drops because I can drive close to it and throw it in the back of the truck. But with these new “wildlife conservation efforts” it will make it impossible to sneak in an evening hunt cause I would have to take a joyful 2 mile hike! So thank you TPWD for taking that away too!
    JD VERFURTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JDVerfurth; 04-21-2016, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Somebody is a little angry haha. I don't hunt out out there but don't you think the hunting would get better for the people willing to put in a little effort, instead of just driving right up to their spot and feeder? Sure it will be harder. But I would think it would be much better for the ones dedicated to hunting hard. I love hunting public land. And getting back in the back away from the people that want to hunt by the truck makes it a challenge and fun to me.

Comment

Maybe the $48 will keep all the riff raff out.. Did you not hear that they're working on allowing atvs?

$48 and the possibility of a walk isn't much to ***** about when you compare it to a "cheap" $2000 deer lease.

Sure, free is good, but when you have to pay, people tend to take better care of things.

Comment

JD, I understand how you feel. I'm a little disappointed too. But I think they are makin us buy a permit to keep all the low life's out of it that decide to use twin buttes as their personal dump. While yes the $48 permit will help in wildlife conservation I don't believe that is the sole purpose of making us buy one. They chose to make you buy a permit because that's the only way they could control who goes in and out. Just be thankful they didn't shut it down to everyone including hunters. It might not be what you wanted but they thought about hunters when they made this decision. I could be wrong about all this. The worst part is this decision is going to push more people to the state park.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
            Maybe the $48 will keep all the riff raff out.. Did you not hear that they're working on allowing atvs?

$48 and the possibility of a walk isn't much to ***** about when you compare it to a "cheap" $2000 deer lease.

Sure, free is good, but when you have to pay, people tend to take better care of things.

There ya go ^^^

$48 dollars is a paltry sum to have access to good land. Sure you aren't guaranteed anything and the hunting is hard but the difficulty tends to select out the lazy and slob hunters who trash the land

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
              JD, I understand how you feel. I'm a little disappointed too. But I think they are makin us buy a permit to keep all the low life's out of it that decide to use twin buttes as their personal dump. While yes the $48 permit will help in wildlife conservation I don't believe that is the sole purpose of making us buy one. They chose to make you buy a permit because that's the only way they could control who goes in and out. Just be thankful they didn't shut it down to everyone including hunters. It might not be what you wanted but they thought about hunters when they made this decision. I could be wrong about all this. The worst part is this decision is going to push more people to the state park.

Exactly

Comment

Though I really don't like that this happened I understand why the city did this. I don't think it has anything to do with conservation or making $48 off a few people. I will be disappointed next dove season when I can't get back to the place we limited out multiple days the last 3 years but with all the crap that took place out there and the amount of trash left behind it was inevitable that something was going to change. The vast majority of the people that used TB did not respect it and that included most hunters. Like someone mentioned in another thread it was a sea of blue and red shotgun shells in areas. I witnessed at least 90% of hunters not picking up their shells when bird hunting. I know the offroad community is mighty upset as well but I'm sure they were probably just as bad about leaving beer cans, trash etc as well. The hunting and offroad community partly have themselves to blame for what is happening. You add the downright dangerous things that happen out there and I'm surprised this didn't happen before. JD, I totally understand your personal longtime connection with TB. Though we haven't met yet I feel I know you through my son. It's the few like you that truly love and respect the land that are getting screwed in all this but it is all the other users that are to blame and not the city or state. I read that TPWD is talking about working with the offroad groups so hopefully they are willing to work with others such as hunters and fishermen to make access reasonable. If anyone hears of any public hearings or such about TB be sure to post on here so we can participate. I would be honored to come up from San Antonio and stand next to you JD to discuss with any state officials

Comment

Hopefully the low life trash dumping dope heads will go somewhere else now.

Comment

I agree it does suck you cant drive on the place anymore and parts of that place people really like to hunt they wont get to hunt anymore and you have to pay etc.. That being said the place looks like total crap out there with the way it is regulated now. People out there on UTVs and ATVs and offroad vehicles fires trash everywhere tiers couches TVs etc.. lots of the people out there suck and it is more or less a huge liability for the city. Year before last people were running deer down on 4 wheelers stealing deer shot by other people and threatening a guy and his wife to stay out of the area some people suck. Maybe with this there will it will be cleaned up and possibly some money will be put into the place for improvements maybe burns brush work fences something. Lets face it the lake patrol over seeing it is a joke. Only one of the officers I talked to actually knew the boundaries or even dates of hunting seasons. Nobody knows what rules apply to the place which has worked to our favor but someone could really get the book thrown at them with all the grey area that looms over TB. GW and the lake patrol seems a bit fuzzy on it all. I see JD's point but I see the other side to.

Comment

Having grown up on the banks of TB pretty sad to see want it has regressed to. This may not be a bad deal, but my dad who still fishes out there regularly will throw a fit about having to pay to fish somewhere he has fished all his life for free. My uncle bow hunts out there as well. One year my uncle was bow hunting near the boys ranch and got pinned down by AR fire. Someone was target shooting (illegal) in his direction and he had to low crawl his way out. He said a few rounds hit the ground around him. I think the city has given up and now has turned it over to someone else to fix.

Comment

At least you don't live in Florida where hunting sucks... ****** that I do not have a great hunting area next to me. Guess I am not coming back to visit family and hunting on the side.

JD...those other spots we know about are still not to much of a hike. If you need help just pay for my plane ticket. Later Bro!

Comment

I have a huge rant about the whole deal... I'll try to get it out tomorrow... Yankee if I was you living in the "Great State of Florida" I'd being looking for the nearest Mako Shark Bowfishing Charter and getting in on that s-hit!! That and a gator with archery equipment are both on my bucket list

Comment

Is the area going to be shut down except for certain dates? Will they allow you to hunt at all times during all seasons? If so it will be better than most of the other twp controlled spots.

Comment

Ha..This is gonna be fun...See y'all out there!

Comment

Doesn't look to bad. I was reading on something posted by one of the GW that they are still going to allow people to drive into the units but only with the vehicle permit like $19 or something?

Comment

Working...
                                X