No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little looking and found this if anyone is interested about TBR rules and regs. Doesn't seem like many if any people know about some of this or just don't care lol

Comment

Below is the official lake marker map you can acquire down at the Tom Green county courthouse.... Those numbers are lake marker numbers, which is clearly on the west side of the Middle Concho River if anyone would like to see them in person I can give a tour down that fence line that separates the STOKES property from PUBLIC property (that goes for any area of the lake; anyone want a tour or a second option of an area in question)...
      Where the debate would be is "is that huntable" since it's not on the hunting map published by the TPWD... Which Kris and Ricky (our fabulous county game wardens [love you guys]) would more than likely side on the safe side with the map that is published by their agency. And with that logic.... no one should be hunting west of the fence line that's located on the east side of the Middle Concho. But WE all no that's not what goes on out there....
      The landowner claiming that he can own half the river bottom is IMO extremely greedy of them (BRAD AND/OR JARED STOKES), especially with the amount of land they own west of the fence line and west of the large field plus whatever else they might have, to be greedy over such a small plot of land that they themselves don't use, or give a second thought about it... What if the river was full, could a fisherman not fish half the river? That's probably a extremely stupid example.... But you get the idea... It's a "Texas water way"...whether is brim full or bone dry we have full access to the water plus 10 ft of the bank.... is where I was attempting to go with that.
      But in the larger picture of things it's such a smaller sliver of public land that their should not be any love lost over it. But that's simply my opinion and doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

Duramax, PLEASE don't take me wrong I'm not trying to be Mr.knowitall or try to disprove you, but the more we let the Surrounding land owners and Game Wardens take chunks of land from us WE ALL LOSE!

And no I haven't been drinking....

Comment

Justin is right. I was out there yesterday about 200 feet from the west fence like. Property drove by in a white truck but never said anything. Like justin said they have the ground markers. These ranchers are just getting greedy. Thats why there are a few illegal fences so the I cattle can have more grazing land

Comment

JD, JRGRANADO
          I agree with you guys a 100%. It is pretty shady that the land owners to the west of unit 5 are raising such a stink about the sliver of land that they don't and probably couldn’t use and have made no attempts to mark as private property if they really do feel that they own it. Especially after I ran into an off duty Lake Patrol officer out on unit 5 and he told me the unit went to the fence on the west side of the riverbed. Which I should have known better to believe him when he said there wasn’t any deer out there and nobody ever went out there and he didn’t even know it was bow season. I was not trying to be a know it all either just giving people a fair warning.

It went down like this. I was not seeing much activity at spot where I was putting out corn so I went and scouted around thinking we could hunt the west side of the riverbed. I figured the deer were hitting the wheat field hard since they weren't eating much corn. I saw the Stokes's blind on the north side of the wheat field so I stayed on the southern end closer to 67. I found a good trail and tossed out a bit of corn and set out a camera. I got some good pics in daylight hours so I set out a pop up blind. Then one of the Stokes I guess drove by and somehow spotted my blind back off in the brush and called the GW Ricky May. Risky confiscated my blind left a card and seizure ticket in baggies where my blind was at. I called and emailed Ricky and let him know who I was and that If I had done something wrong I wasn’t aware of it and that with my job doing something to get a ticket or break a law was definitely not my intention. He contacted me shortly after. He said if I looked at the Twin Buttes Hunting Map there is no hunting area on the west side of the river and that the landowner claims he owns to the middle of the river bed and that he and the land owner walk the west side of the river bed multiple times a year. Then Ricky said that he told the landowner (Stokes I guess as JD has pointed out) that it is kind of a grey area so they probably couldn't get the person on criminal trespass or hunting without land owner permission if it was first offense. Then Ricky asked me if I had had any tickets with TPWD before. I said yes about 6 years ago me and some buddies got baiting tickets at the EQ during dove season when we literally parked on top of and sat on top of some milo someone had thrown out before we got there. I understood the GW doing their job and all the Aholes they put up with but that we wouldn't have done that and wouldn't have parked and sat on it if we had lol. So Ricky said since I was honest about that ticket when he called me in to run my background he would only give me a warning and he returned my blind to me. Ricky was real nice and honest about it, a nice guy all in all. The landowner could have also been a jackwagon and destroyed or stole my bind to but didn’t. So since I got a warning on paper and an encounter with the law for that and he confiscated my blind I just figured I would let the guys on here know.
          Last edited by DuramaxDude; 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

There are legit lake markers all over. Justin and I walked them Saturday to make sure we were on the property. I can see how land owners get greedy and want more than they have but before tickets are written I think the land owners and the city should mark properties more properly.

Comment

Originally posted by SLICK-PSE_330 View Post
              There are legit lake markers all over. Justin and I walked them Saturday to make sure we were on the property. I can see how land owners get greedy and want more than they have but before tickets are written I think the land owners and the city should mark properties more properly.
              Agreed but I highly doubt the city will do anything. Even when they receive complaints about things out on TBR. I know there have been complaints phoned in or told to Lake Patrol officers about people hunting with firearms during bow season and using rifles out there and deer hunting with rifles. I have never seen a lake patrol officer anywhere other than the banks of Nasworthy. I guess we all just need to "cya" as best we can. It would be nice to walk those lake markers and maybe even gps them or mark them in your phone.

Comment

Could you send me the area in question on a map and also point out where the Stokes' adjacent land is?

Comment

Originally posted by SagDaddy View Post
                  Could you send me the area in question on a map and also point out where the Stokes' adjacent land is?
                  Post #1140 of mine has a link to the TBR hunting map. Its unit 5, attached is a screen shot of the unit riverbed and the wheat field that the Stokes are said to own.
                  Attached Files

Comment

getting stationed down there this spring and looking for a lease to go in on or a property for hog or exotic hunting.

Comment

Hard working And hard hunting public land hunters here bro.... Don't know anything about them fancy leases... Sorry... Good luck on the search

Comment

Went rabbit hunting and ended up finding some goodies! Found these nice old sheds! Just a few feet from each other! One scored 66" and the other 58". If it didnt have any broken tines this buck would have scored about 148" that's big for our public land!

Comment

Comment

Cool find

Comment

cool read on the history of the twin buttes area. One traveler mentioned in 1835 that he saw 500,000 buffalo roaming the twin buttes area. Pretty crazy to think that the area that we hunt use to be covered in buffalo.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.dickens View Post
                                http://www.cvassanangelo.org/uploads...logicalrpt.pdf

cool read on the history of the twin buttes area. One traveler mentioned in 1835 that he saw 500,000 buffalo roaming the twin buttes area. Pretty crazy to think that the area that we hunt use to be covered in buffalo.
                                That is pretty cool. I went to college at ASU and took a biology class called the Natural History of the Concho Valley. It was basically a class over how plants animals and people shaped the area out to be what it is. It was a pretty good class. The buffalo comment reminds me of a ranch I worked on in my home town. There was a high point above a drainage area that was kinda sunk in on top maybe 50acres or so. Water would stand up there after a good rain. The owner called it the buffalo wallers because you could still see all the dips and areas the buffalo had created when they were there and drank and rolled in the mud.

Comment

Working...
                                X