THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poorboy View Post
    The reason things are so bad out there is jack legs like you guys get on a public forum and broadcast the information of free hunting to every idiot with a gun. The less people know about an area the less people will be there. Bitching to the city counsel and to the cops has done nothing but get the government involved and created a bigger problem. I will definatly pay $25 to dump my trash and shoot at some bowhunter who thinks that he owns the land out there and I am sure others will too. In closing YOU are the cause of the problems out there. Have a great hunting season.
    HANDS DOWN this is the most ignorant and clueless statement Ive ever read on a TBH forum. EVERYTHING we have done here locally to get TBR cleaned up from garbage, riff raff, poachers, scumbag druggies, etc HAS worked and EVERY person I have ran into in the last 6 months is extremely happy about what is happening with the lake areas project . Fact is most folks that are anglers and hunters out here BOTH gun and bow would like to see an INCREASE in the proposed fees. You should know what you are talking about before you start running at the mouth about something you obviously know nothing about

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
      Poorboy is absolutely right.

I'm sure the people I saw out there that decided to try and shoot skeet out of the sky with an ak47 learned of Twin Buttes by searching the net for info on public hunting land....

*rolls eyes*

Get a clue dude.
      Ya and the idiots that were shooting by me during spring turkey season with a Mini 14

Comment

Originally posted by codfish View Post
        Whats the water situation like at the lake. Last time I went about 2 months ago, the water was so down, you could barely load and unload a boat. Anyone seen it first hand
        lately?
        went out a few days back and its very low. Several of my old catfishin' spots are dry right now over in Unit 4.

Comment

Originally posted by codfish View Post
          Whats the water situation like at the lake. Last time I went about 2 months ago, the water was so down, you could barely load and unload a boat. Anyone seen it first hand
          lately?
          The lake is dropping fast the big boat ramp is dry. There are two old ramps one on each side of the lake. The one by the big ramp is only going to be usable for a fee more days.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by twigflipper View Post
            The lake is dropping fast the big boat ramp is dry. There are two old ramps one on each side of the lake. The one by the big ramp is only going to be usable for a fee more days.
            Mike
            Wow, not good news for what was becoming a really good fishing lake around here. I guess its back to Lake Ivie for a bunch of folks?

Comment

The reason things are so bad out there is jack legs like you guys get on a public forum and broadcast the information of free hunting to every idiot with a gun. The less people know about an area the less people will be there. Bitching to the city counsel and to the cops has done nothing but get the government involved and created a bigger problem. I will definatly pay $25 to dump my trash and shoot at some bowhunter who thinks that he owns the land out there and I am sure others will too. In closing YOU are the cause of the problems out there. Have a great hunting season.
              Note some Bow Hunters carry guns. Shot at me and I will return fire.

Comment

I believe this issue has be taken care of from what Ive heard. I dont think we'll be hearing from Poorboy anytime soon.

Comment

deer are hitting the corn REALLY hard due to extreme drought conditions. Also been seeing ALOT of deer out in the middle of day heading to water sources. now is time to get out scouting. bow season is not far off.

Comment

I believe my point was missed.
                    Do you really think that a few gates will stop people from committing illegal acts? No - Individuals will pay the $25 just like you will to go out there and still do those illegal activities. $25 is still cheaper than having to pay for a lease.

Do you really think that things have really gotten better out there? No - At this time it only seems as though things have gotten better. It is not hunting season. If you were to spend time out there you would notice that the traffic has gone down and when there are less people out there is less probability of something happening. When hunting season comes around the activity will increase and the probability of something happening such as getting shot at, or having individuals shooting rifles out there.

How many people have brought it to the attention of the individual(s) who are breaking the law that they are? I have and most responses are "I didn't know that". For those who state what-ever the reply is to carry out my own business and call the police/gw. I have only called the police twice in several years.

What is the cause of the illegal activity? My theory regarding the increase of illegal activities is the increase in the number of people out there. I have seen an increase in hunters/non-hunters not from this area in which leads me to believe that there is some way they are getting the information that hunting there is low cost. Not that your forum is the only source but it is a very large source. The more people in one area the more of a chance for something bad to happen.

Main Point that makes me upset is this - The city has begun to make legislation and next year when people have begun to complain due to the increase of illegal activities during hunting season the subject will become another priority of the city council in which they will have to make more legislation. History will show that this is just the beginning of eliminating the privilege of being able to hunt out there. Maybe not entirely but how many of you would like to see it turned into the state park where you have to put in for a lottery and only allowed certain times and places to hunt?

Comment

the city would be crazy to restrict the hunting out there (not that they wouldn't). last year i was hunting at the state park before all the draw hunts and there were guys from all over the place out there. i met a guy from lubbock!! that's a long way to drive to deer hunt!!

my point is that most people aren't clawing there way to San Angelo to see the sights so i would guess that deer hunting at the state park/tbr is probably the only tourism San Angelo has. if i were mayor, i wouldn't do anything to restrict that money, no matter how little t is. all that said i know that cities don't always make the smartest decisions, that's why a lot of them are going bankrupt across the US today.

just my 2 cents i guess

Comment

Poorboy

I assure you that your concern is very far from what the city wants or plans to do EVER. Matter of fact several new ordinances that were suggested to council were turned down because they did NOT what to put any more than necessary restrictions on visitors and locals alike mainly due to it being a FREE asset to the community and taxpayers for many years.

Another fact: In the cities defense, when the Dept. of Interior heard of the cities plan to semi-limit access due to the illegal activities and limited manpower to monitor it, the BLM (DOI) suggested to close the area ENTIRELY to vehicle traffic and the COSA refused

I personally know alot of the key folks that are behind this project and the law enforcement of TBR and they ALL have a personal interest in it. THEY ALL HUNT THERE TOO and their family.

Lastly, you are entitled of course to your opinion as to what may or may not happen with TBR but keep in mind bashing people here on an open forum.......NOT a good way to make a point and not a very mature thing to do to begin with. If you want people to take you seriously, make your case in an appropriate manner, or better yet get yourself to the city council meeting or write to the city manager and state your case.
                        There are alot of people here that are trying their best to improve the public use areas in this county for YOUR benefit so before your start bashing the ones that are looking after YOUR best interest be informed about what you are talking about. I hate to break this news to ya but Twin Buttes is definitely NOT any big secret. Tons of people from all over the state hunt here. Ive even met hunters from back East almost every year out there and talked to people that have hunted here for generations.

Further more, the gates MAIN purpose is 2 matters: curttailing the illegal dumping and poaching going on after hours. I believe city ordinance states that all parks are closed after 10pm thus anybody found inside the park area after park hours has to be actively CAMPING or they are not to be inside and can be cited. This is NOT new. I just hasnt been something they were able to enforce due to lack of manpower.

These are not fail proof answers to all the issues with TBR but it is a start and they will know how to adjust the program as time shows where they are lacking. The fees generated are also going to go to improving the area and offset labor costs of cleaning the place up, another benefit for YOU and me. These measures are meant to make a better, safer, place for all of us to enjoy. Remember the glass is half full not empty my friend.

If you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to answer anything I can for you. I assure you anything I find out for you will be straight from the sources.

R. Sparks
                        LSBA Region 76 State Rep.
                        Concho Valley Hunters Advocacy - Pres.

Comment

Fact: WAY before the combined efforts of local hunters, anglers, law enforcement, and game wardens began talks with the City Administration and City Council , the Twin Buttes project was well underway and in fact the city manager had shown me the blue prints for the proposed project including the new gate system and proposed parking areas etc. at our FIRST meeting. So contrary to Poorboys beliefs the ball was already rolling before we got involved. The cleanup project in fact had begun 2 years prior under Randy Harris' guidance when he was still the old lake & Parks police commander. Once again dont make false statements if you are not properly informed of the facts.

Comment

1) Do you really think that a few gates will stop people from committing illegal acts? No - Individuals will pay the $25 just like you will to go out there and still do those illegal activities. $25 is still cheaper than having to pay for a lease.

2) How many people have brought it to the attention of the individual(s) who are breaking the law that they are? I have and most responses are "I didn't know that". For those who state what-ever the reply is to carry out my own business and call the police/gw. I have only called the police twice in several years.

3) how many of you would like to see it turned into the state park where you have to put in for a lottery and only allowed certain times and places to hunt?

Some more points I'd like to clarify:

1) YES I DO, because every person that pays the $25 for a PERMIT will have to fill out an appliction/agreement to terms and PROVIDE THEIR PERSONAL INFORMATION including drivers license and vehicle information their window permit will be used on. How many dirtbags do you know are going to be willing to walk-in and freely give the cops their personal info? Heck most of them have warrants and want nothing to do with being close to cops.

2) EVERY time I see illegal activity I try to inform the offender in a diplomatic way as to EDUCATE them on the rules for THEIR own benefit. We are not out to "bust" people. We want to educate people on what is expected so we DONT lose our priviledge of using TBR. If that doesnt work....I have never hesitated to call the GW and PD. Trust me we are all on a first name basis.

3) the STATE PARK is NOT a Lottery. It is an APH permit hunting area and ANYBODY can go buy an APH when they get their regular hunting license. There ARE "DRAW" hunts ALSO at SASP but that is a totally different deal all together. Once again.....know what you are talking about before you make statements the are NOT true.

Furthermore, the "Goal" of the TBR Project is to get Twin Buttes back to its natural state and beauty. If you have ever hunted any of the states NWR or NWA areas you would see the difference right away and understand just how bad the state of the land really is.

Comment

Bowman knows more about this situation than most city board members do.

2% of the problem out there is hunters being irresponsible, hunting too close, hunting with rifles, etc.

98% of the problem out there is NON HUNTERS going out and dumping trash, racing around on dirt bikes and fourwheelers, and taking all of their rifles and handguns out there and spraying bullets all over the place.

I'd be willing to bet my next few paychecks that this fall the complaints and reports out there will be MORE than cut in half once the gate and permit system goes into effect.

Comment

Im hoping everything is in place before at least the General Season. Its gonna take alot of effort and a bunch of rain before they will be able to get going again do to the burn ban limiting their ability to weld the fence and gates

Comment

Working...
                                X