THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sab

[QUOTE=SanAngeloBowman;3354149]Cindy is the Hispanic gal that ya probably see over around Unit 4 and Jason usually is around the south side of lake area. Both are top notch folks and we appreciate what they do around here.[/QUOTE

You are right, it is Cindy.

I noticed on Unit 4 today that the farmer has removed the fence and cleared all the mesquites from his cotton field that borders TBR. Wonder if he is planning on putting in a high fence. There is high fence not far on a maze field which is possible the same farmer.
    SAB, were is the majority of the pipe fence that the city is going to build.
    Also, what have you heard about the feeder and blinds. Anthony sent me a work doc that referenced feeders and blinds can only be left on a daily bases. But it also references "unless you can a City contract". What exactly is this City contract?
    Thanks

Comment

[quote=TXHORNZ;3354415]
      Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
      Cindy is the Hispanic gal that ya probably see over around Unit 4 and Jason usually is around the south side of lake area. Both are top notch folks and we appreciate what they do around here.[/QUOTE

You are right, it is Cindy.

I noticed on Unit 4 today that the farmer has removed the fence and cleared all the mesquites from his cotton field that borders TBR. Wonder if he is planning on putting in a high fence. There is high fence not far on a maze field which is possible the same farmer.
      SAB, were is the majority of the pipe fence that the city is going to build.
      Also, what have you heard about the feeder and blinds. Anthony sent me a work doc that referenced feeders and blinds can only be left on a daily bases. But it also references "unless you can a City contract". What exactly is this City contract?
      Thanks
      I'll have to get some info on the City Contract clause but I believe it has to do with folks that have land leased from city only.

The blinds and feeders on a daily basis has always been a rule at TBR unless you are hunting consecutive days...I.E. you are camping/hunting the weekend at same spot etc.

Basically from what I have seen there will be double piperail fences at ALL TBR hunting unit entry points but there will be 4 access points you can enter at with your annual pass/key system. Right now they are looking at unit 1,2,3, and 6 which is pretty much most of TBR considering unit 5 has always been walk-in only. That only leaves unit 4 and 7 as new walk-in only areas and 7 has never been a big hunting spot to begin with due to all the ATV traffic.

A point to note is that when the Dept of Interior heard the cities plan they actually would like to see them shut down ALL of TBR to vehicle traffic so they are being MORE than accomodating by going with the limited vehicle access plan.

I had to call SAPD 2x about illegal shooting going on in unit 3 again on last day of season and didnt have the heart to call them the 4 more times it happend along with the party that started up 200yds from where I was hunting on Sunday. Those guys have more work than they have manpower to handle as it is. needless to say I am VERY ready for this plan to get started and run the riff raff off our public recreation lands.

Oh we also had to call them on Friday night while we were cleaning a couple deer 2 trucks with trailer had planned to dump full loads of pallets and mattresses for a bonfire party......unbelievable but people do it there all the time and leave a huge mess for the rest of to enjoy for years afterwards.

Comment

Unit 4

[quote=SanAngeloBowman;3355106]
        Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
        I'll have to get some info on the City Contract clause but I believe it has to do with folks that have land leased from city only.

The blinds and feeders on a daily basis has always been a rule at TBR unless you are hunting consecutive days...I.E. you are camping/hunting the weekend at same spot etc.

Basically from what I have seen there will be double piperail fences at ALL TBR hunting unit entry points but there will be 4 access points you can enter at with your annual pass/key system. Right now they are looking at unit 1,2,3, and 6 which is pretty much most of TBR considering unit 5 has always been walk-in only. That only leaves unit 4 and 7 as new walk-in only areas and 7 has never been a big hunting spot to begin with due to all the ATV traffic.

A point to note is that when the Dept of Interior heard the cities plan they actually would like to see them shut down ALL of TBR to vehicle traffic so they are being MORE than accomodating by going with the limited vehicle access plan.

I had to call SAPD 2x about illegal shooting going on in unit 3 again on last day of season and didnt have the heart to call them the 4 more times it happend along with the party that started up 200yds from where I was hunting on Sunday. Those guys have more work than they have manpower to handle as it is. needless to say I am VERY ready for this plan to get started and run the riff raff off our public recreation lands.

Oh we also had to call them on Friday night while we were cleaning a couple deer 2 trucks with trailer had planned to dump full loads of pallets and mattresses for a bonfire party......unbelievable but people do it there all the time and leave a huge mess for the rest of to enjoy for years afterwards.
        Wonder why they don't give access via key to all the units and not just those you mentioned. Can you ask this when you talk with the Council?
        As you know I have hunted Unit 4 this year for the first time. There is several miles to cover by foot to get to the area I hunt if I have to start at the end of FM2166. I think if you don't make them all the same these other lands are going to be more congested.
        I have noticed vehicles on the Southside of 67 at 12 Mile on both the East and West sides of the river. Are these hunters accessing TBR Unit 4 land?
        *Concerning the feeders/popup blinds. When scouting an area in the past, it was nice for me to see an blind or a feeder up telling me that someone is in the area. I would then go elsewhere or keep at a safe and courteous distance, mainly for hunter safety.
        I wish I could be there the 25th, but I'm not sure it can happen.
        Thanks

Comment

[quote=TXHORNZ;3355258]

Wonder why they don't give access via key to all the units and not just those you mentioned. Can you ask this when you talk with the Council?
          As you know I have hunted Unit 4 this year for the first time. There is several miles to cover by foot to get to the area I hunt if I have to start at the end of FM2166. I think if you don't make them all the same these other lands are going to be more congested.
          I have noticed vehicles on the Southside of 67 at 12 Mile on both the East and West sides of the river. Are these hunters accessing TBR Unit 4 land?
          *Concerning the feeders/popup blinds. When scouting an area in the past, it was nice for me to see an blind or a feeder up telling me that someone is in the area. I would then go elsewhere or keep at a safe and courteous distance, mainly for hunter safety.
          I wish I could be there the 25th, but I'm not sure it can happen.
          Thanks
          To be honest I wish they didnt give access to Unit 3 that boarders Unit 4 either. There is still going to be way to much driving around to get TBR to a natural state.

Check out some of the mt. bike rigs folks have made for hunbting public land here on TBH or you are more than welcome to come by the house and look at mine. I have seen folks use them all over the state.

As to the vehicles parked along HWY 67 yes they are accessing TBR Unit 4 from the east side of hwy and that is the small walk-in only unit 5 across the street on the west side where the house is. The best access point for #5 is back a couple hundred yards next to the Hwy67 sign, you will see a "step-over" gate there.

* concerning feeders/popup blinds.........it has become such an eyesore with people leaving there bucket feeders and makeshift blinds everywhere that the city is tyrying to fight. This is completely opposite if what we are trying to accomplish with getting Twin Buttes back to its natural beauty as an outdoor recreation area for all.

Comment

All, you may have seen an article in yesterday's Standard-Times regarding TBR. The article was riddled with errors. To be clear, the Council decided earlier this month to proceed with the fencing and gates around TBR. The only issue left to be decided regarding limiting vehicular traffic is exactly how the process of issuing keys and vehicle permits allowing access through the four approved gates will work. There's not a big hurry to do that because it will take time to install the fencing and gates. At Tuesday's Council meeting, we will have the first discussion with the Council on proposed policy and ordinance changes that would mostly impact Nasworthy.

I've been delinquent in not checking this thread more often. I will do better. So, if you have questions, please post them here and I will respond. Or, you are welcome to call me at 653-5328 or email me at anthony.wilson@sanangelotexas.us. Thanks.

Anthony Wilson
            Civic Events Manager
            City of San Angelo

Comment

As Anthony noted City Council meeting is tomorrow starting at 9am but our item is number 18 of 21 on the agenda unless it gets bumped up. Issues at hand will be many but highlight of concern is the new ordinances to be enacted starting this next hunting season so if you have any comments to be brought before concil on your ideas or concerns over new hunting regs, etc. THIS is the meeting you will want to be in attendance. THX.

Rob

Comment

I bow hunt out at the TBR. I was wondering if anyone had any information of which sections they are going to gate off. I spoke to a lake authority and he seemed clueless. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by nate8825 View Post
                  I bow hunt out at the TBR. I was wondering if anyone had any information of which sections they are going to gate off. I spoke to a lake authority and he seemed clueless. Much appreciated.
                  everything will be gated, but there is 4 proposed entry gates by permit/key system. As of now suggested locations are Unit 1,2,3, and 6 which pretty much gives you all acces by vehicle accept Unit 4 behind the Boys Ranch and Unit 5 which has ALWAYS been a walk-in only area. To be honest I wish they'd close unit 3 to vehicles as its the worst with illegal dumping , drug users, and illegal shooting.

The goal is to get TBR back to its natural state and to be honestunit 3 is also probably the worst with multiple roads that have ruined habitat and bedding areas.

If you have an opinion or have specific questions I'd suggest going to a city council meeting and be heard as a concerned citizen.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Comment

dumping is terrible at 3, and it seemed every time i was hunting out there, there was some yahoo's shooting 22's. Last year didn't seem too bad, but this year was terrible. I hope they gate all of them. That would make hunting/habitat so much better. Either way, i will not hunt at 3 again this year due to the amount of traffic around there. I appreciate you answer. Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.

Comment

TXHORNZ:

Where ya been bud? You wanna get together and shoot at the 3D range sometime?

Comment

I heard there was a 3d range here. Where is it at and do you have to become a member to shoot or just pay a fee?

Comment

I heard there was a 3d range here. Where is it at and do you have to become a member to shoot or just pay a fee?
                          Ya you have to be a member. Its the Concho Valley Archery Association range. You can sign up anytime at The OUTDOORSMAN on Beauregard ave. I think its $40 a year but well worth it considering how much targets cost, plus we tournaments starting next weekend thru Sept every month. Tere is a permanent 3D range/course on the backside of area, 2 other courses for tournaments that are set on first weekend of each month, and the static target range. Thre is also several large bale targets with game silhouettes located on the inner road on the west range up front that are fun to shoot as well.

I go out there several times a week (like today) if you wanna go check it out sometime before ya join. One 3D round tho and you'll be hooked. Lots of fun and you'll meet a bunch of new archery friends i one day.

The range is located at end of Red Bluff rd. (Pack Saddle BBQ on corner at Knickerbocker rd.) just before you go into Middle Concho Park on the right hand side. Look for the big white painted ranch style gate. Thats the parking for the static range and main gate to club. You can go in and look around but if you havent got the combo to lock PLEASE do NOT block the gate. Park to the side and walk in, however you must be a member or be with a member to shoot.
                          Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

NATE:

email me at outdoorsafflictiontv at yahoo dot com and I'll send ya my cell # or ya can probably find it somewhere in these threads on TBR. You can come out and shoot with me this week if ya want. Im getting ready to go shoot in a bit around 1 30pm on Sunday.

Comment

several reports coming from trustworthy folks stating that a VERY large Bobcat the size of a Black Lab or so has been spotted at TBR both sides of river around areas 1 &2. I went out after it stopped snowing yesterday and found really big cat tracks in snow midday.

Anyone wanting to team up for cats and varmints can drop me a PM. Been wanting to get a cat for long time.

Comment

Been Around

TXHORNZ:

Where ya been bud? You wanna get together and shoot at the 3D range sometime?
                                Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. Up until the freezing weather I've been pretty busy.
                                I appreciate the offer. Once it gets warmer the wife and I will be headed out the the pistol range. She got her a new pistol and wants to take the carry license.
                                Also, have been kinda anxious about the decision the city makes about the TBR. I don't have a problem with them putting gates in. But I do have a problem if they do not allow vehicle access through the gates. I do like the idea of registering for an access key to the gates. Fishing the river in the spring and summer; I don't want to have to haul all my tackle, cooler, etc. and have my kids walk all the way in to a place we used to drive to. Not all my kids are able to ride a bike. This is just creating a difficult task to access public land that my family used to enjoy.
                                Sorry, I got started again. Stay warm. Hope ya get that 1st Bobcat.

Comment

Working...
                                X