No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for all the stuff stolen this year. I've met a lot of good people at area 9. Hard to imagine there are thieves among us but there's definitely some inconsiderate hunters there. Last year some dude with a kid walked right thru my set and thru my corn and put a blind up 50 yds from my setup at prime time I might add! So no problem I found another spot, hunted it all season, went to my spot which was a log blind I built only to find it destroyed and someone actually used the logs to build them a blind 20 yds away. It's public land and we are all out there for the same reason, I just can't understand why some people don't respect another hunters spot or feel the need to hunt the same general spot. There's plenty of room to spread out.
    Last edited by muddydog; 12-06-2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howhandi View Post
      No this is a large Cabelas brand blind. Has several chairs in it.
      Wow,when i came across the two blinds,I thought well he is got two here on the same trail,maybe if the wind is out of the north,he sits over there! The blind over the ridge from you has trail markers leading from RV park.

Comment

i wish they would start enforcing the removal of blinds and stands after the 72hrs so people would stop claiming areas. Unfortunately this is the downside to baiting on public land. people put in hard work carrying corn then start to feel entitled to that general area.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
          i wish they would start enforcing the removal of blinds and stands after the 72hrs so people would stop claiming areas. Unfortunately this is the downside to baiting on public land. people put in hard work carrying corn then start to feel entitled to that general area.
          I don’t feel it has anything to do with entitlement, it’s called respect. I have ran across probably 20 blinds/tree stands this year. This is absolutely no law that says I can’t hunt right on top of those guys, but my respect for other hunters is why I don’t. If a person wants to be successful, they should put in the work. Buttes is a good place to hunt, and could be phenomenal if everyone respected the other hunters and worked together. Unfortunately, most people are more concerned about where they can set up to cut another hunter off, than they are putting in the necessary work to harvest a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgriffith View Post
            I don’t feel it has anything to do with entitlement, it’s called respect. I have ran across probably 20 blinds/tree stands this year. This is absolutely no law that says I can’t hunt right on top of those guys, but my respect for other hunters is why I don’t. If a person wants to be successful, they should put in the work. Buttes is a good place to hunt, and could be phenomenal if everyone respected the other hunters and worked together. Unfortunately, most people are more concerned about where they can set up to cut another hunter off, than they are putting in the necessary work to harvest a deer.
            Couldn’t agree more!

Comment

Originally posted by Jgriffith View Post
              Maybe I'm the odd man out. I probably wont ever see the other side of the coin on this. I dont like hunting near other peoples stands but it get old people littering the public lands with blinds and stands trying to claim spots. Trust me I respect others but do they really respect us by claiming spots and breaking the rules in which we should all try to follow.

Comment

Maybe I'm the odd man out. I probably wont ever see the other side of the coin on this. I dont like hunting near other peoples stands but it get old people littering the public lands with blinds and stands trying to claim spots. Trust me I respect others but do they really respect us by claiming spots and breaking the rules in which we should all try to follow.
                Sure, there’s spots that I’d like to hunt, that someone has already set up on. I’m sure everyone has experienced that at some point. But I’m not gonna mope around and not hunt because I may not get the spot I want. That’s life. I’ve yet to punch a tag this year, but that has been by choice. I’ve seen deer almost every hunt, and I did this thru doing my homework. Looking at maps, walking miles, and setting up where I figure little to no human track will be. Buttes is almost 13k acres, divided into 9 units. All but 1 is huntable. So I would say 80-90% of the land mass is accessible. There is plenty of room for everyone to hunt, and not be on top of each other. But if you set up right on the walking trail going in, then yes you’re probably gonna have conflict with other people. And to your point about the 72 hour rule. If a gear tag is kept on the blind, and is updated every 72 hours. There are no rules that are being broken. You can leave your blind there as long as you wish.

Comment

I'll be honest I didnt know about the gear tag which makes perfect sense. I've never hunted there. I follow yalls hunts after I hunted San angelo a few years ago on private land and seen all the deer yall have compared to east texas public lands. One of these days I will make the trip there. Do yall have hogs in a huntable population? What about javelina? I dont see much if either posted and the APH book is a little misleading.

Comment

So you’ve never left a blind out there longer than 72hrs? What kind of hunting do you do? Walking around creating unnecessary pressure on the deer? Are you a shotgun hunter or a bow hunter? Or might I add are you a cross bow hunter? Honest truth, I think if we want to get nit picky about moving blinds every 72 hours there are simple steps to beating that rule and they follow the same principles as the rules for camping on buttes, you must move your tent/camper every “X” amount of days if you’re going to camp out there. I think enforcing the removal of blinds every 72 hours is pointless. Especially when there are much more complex problems than moving your blind every 72 hours. I think I speak for EVERYONE when I say that none of us feel entitled to this public land. I just like every one else bought the $48 permit to hunt that PUBLIC land and that’s exactly what it is, for the public to use. No one is entitled to it.
                    I think there’s no easy solution other than people need to quit being inconsiderate pricks and have some respect. But that’s part of fighting public land. Just part of it.

Comment

I'll be honest I didnt know about the gear tag which makes perfect sense. I've never hunted there. I follow yalls hunts after I hunted San angelo a few years ago on private land and seen all the deer yall have compared to east texas public lands. One of these days I will make the trip there. Do yall have hogs in a huntable population? What about javelina? I dont see much if either posted and the APH book is a little misleading.

I've seen javelina on my game camera as well as had them come flying thru my sit, I've never seen hogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never seen any feral hogs on Buttes. Had never saw a javelina either, until Wednesday morning. Now there’s one less of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's all complain about places we don't even Hunt [emoji849].

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by @pga_bb View Post
                            let's all complain about places we don't even hunt [emoji849].

Sent from my moto z3 using tapatalk
                            🤦🏻*♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Ckrue06 View Post
                              So you’ve never left a blind out there longer than 72hrs? What kind of hunting do you do? Walking around creating unnecessary pressure on the deer? Are you a shotgun hunter or a bow hunter? Or might I add are you a cross bow hunter? Honest truth, I think if we want to get nit picky about moving blinds every 72 hours there are simple steps to beating that rule and they follow the same principles as the rules for camping on buttes, you must move your tent/camper every “X” amount of days if you’re going to camp out there. I think enforcing the removal of blinds every 72 hours is pointless. Especially when there are much more complex problems than moving your blind every 72 hours. I think I speak for EVERYONE when I say that none of us feel entitled to this public land. I just like every one else bought the $48 permit to hunt that PUBLIC land and that’s exactly what it is, for the public to use. No one is entitled to it.
                              I think there’s no easy solution other than people need to quit being inconsiderate pricks and have some respect. But that’s part of fighting public land. Just part of it.
                              Look above your post

Comment

Originally posted by @PGA_BB View Post
                                Let's all complain about places we don't even Hunt [emoji849].

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
                                I would bet with that remark you leave your stuff out there to mark "your" area. The general tag thing makes sense as I said I didnt know about it. The public I hunt doest have that system and people just leave stands up years even it they dont hunt the area. It makes it difficult bc I dont want to be a d!ck and hunt someone's area but some are obviously not being used. No need for attitude I'm not the enemy.

Comment

Working...
                                X