X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

looks like some nice deer out there in the Twin Buttes area, i've been looking at setting a calendar date to give it a good 4-5 days out there for scouting and setting up where nobody else has already "claimed," as their area. A lot of hunts already planned but this place is definitely on the radar for wanting to hunt. any tips as far as ground blinds vs hang n hunts? most the area looks like more brush from pictures.

Comment

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Originally posted by txhushlife View Post
        looks like some nice deer out there in the Twin Buttes area, i've been looking at setting a calendar date to give it a good 4-5 days out there for scouting and setting up where nobody else has already "claimed," as their area. A lot of hunts already planned but this place is definitely on the radar for wanting to hunt. any tips as far as ground blinds vs hang n hunts? most the area looks like more brush from pictures.

Most do pop ups or brush blind. Some do short tripods also. Not a lot of hang ons as not many trees for that. You might find a few good trees around the creeks or rivers. Mostly old pecan trees. The area is very similar to south Texas brush country.

Comment

Hello everyone! Fairly new to this forum, and would like to commend everyone. Public hunting isn’t easy, and very few people even attempt it, especially the archery hunters. With that being said, I’d like to ask a question.... is thoughtfulness and being considerate a thing of the past? I’ve been scouting and running cameras since the beginning of August, trying to increase my chances of successs this fall. Only to find a new blind or climbing stand ( one of which looks to be one pictured in this forum about a month back) every time I head to the woods. Yes, I know it’s public land. Yes, I know everyone has their right to it, just as much as I do. But I personally feel like there’s PLENTY of room for everyone to hunt, and not intrude on someone else. It doesn’t matter if we’re friends or strangers, and you have a 180” deer or doe you’re chasing. I’m gonna go out of my way to find access to a spot that will not affect your hunt in a negative way. I have met several real nice gentlemen at Butte, and exchanged phone numbers with them. We keep each other posted on deer movement, and where we suggest everyone hunt, so I know it’s possible. Butte is a great place to hunt, and everyone should definitely enjoy the resources provided by it... just don’t be “that guy”. Happy hunting!

Comment

Gotcha! Thanks for the advice, just from looking at pictures of the area it does resemble that south texas brush, for those that are the every year hunters out there, do yall have alot of trouble with people walking in on your sits? I know its bound to happen sooner or later on the public land, my mindset would be to go as far and deep in as possible to get away from everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgriffith View Post
              Hello everyone! Fairly new to this forum, and would like to commend everyone. Public hunting isn’t easy, and very few people even attempt it, especially the archery hunters. With that being said, I’d like to ask a question.... is thoughtfulness and being considerate a thing of the past? I’ve been scouting and running cameras since the beginning of August, trying to increase my chances of successs this fall. Only to find a new blind or climbing stand ( one of which looks to be one pictured in this forum about a month back) every time I head to the woods. Yes, I know it’s public land. Yes, I know everyone has their right to it, just as much as I do. But I personally feel like there’s PLENTY of room for everyone to hunt, and not intrude on someone else. It doesn’t matter if we’re friends or strangers, and you have a 180” deer or doe you’re chasing. I’m gonna go out of my way to find access to a spot that will not affect your hunt in a negative way. I have met several real nice gentlemen at Butte, and exchanged phone numbers with them. We keep each other posted on deer movement, and where we suggest everyone hunt, so I know it’s possible. Butte is a great place to hunt, and everyone should definitely enjoy the resources provided by it... just don’t be “that guy”. Happy hunting!

That’s what we all hope. But that’s when ya find a gun hunter showing up at 8:30 am walking around or even having a rifle. Some people don’t care unfortunately

Comment

Your always going to have people come in your area. Some individuals are courteous and some are not and they really don’t care.
                I hunt the same spot all season and I like to find out who is hunting around me when I see them.
                Last year I had a guy come in about 5pm while I was hunting and proceed to set up a tree stand 30yards from me. I even let the guy know I was hunting and he didn’t care he continued to put up his stand and camera and left.
                This year I had a guy set up a pop up about 50yards from me. When I got out of stand to leave I saw him and he moved his blind later that day. So you get all kinds hunting on public land.

Comment

Are you referring to the pop-up blind?

Comment

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post

anyone hunt area 9, that wants to admit it? How packed is that fence line this year?? Last year I think there were like 7-10 guys lined up down that fence line... still just as crowded?
                    Asking for a friend.

Anyone hunting the island in area 1, that whats to admit it? How hard is it to cross this year after the rains? Anyone hunting area 1 in general? Any massive new watering holes still hanging around from the recent rains? Ive seen some monsters back in there, anyone got any trail camera pictures they wouldn’t mind sharing with the congregation?

Anyone hunting area 5, that wants to admit it? Is that back pond on the north fence-line holding water? Any javelinas on camera yet?

Anyone hunting in area 3 in general, that wants to admit it? How are those fence lines looking to the south, I’ve seen them stacked just as bad as area 9 in previous years? Anyone hunting back in the big trees of area 3? Any cool pictures they wouldn’t mind sharing with the congregation?

JD hunts it all.

Comment

No sir, I’m referring to a climber that was put up 3 trees over from my camera and corn. As I stated on my prior post, I understand everything y’all are saying. Just wanted to throw it out there, to try and not be that guy.

Comment

No sir, I’m referring to a climber that was put up 3 trees over from my camera and corn. As I stated on my prior post, I understand everything y’all are saying. Just wanted to throw it out there, to try and not be that guy.

I agree 100% it’s tough on public land sometimes.
                        I have had guys setting in my blinds and say they didn’t know it was someone’s. Lol

Comment

Lol I can believe it. It’s definitely tough on public land, but I guess that makes the reward that much sweeter when you succeed. Makes it tough to enjoy when you do the leg work, just to have someone reap the reward of your work.

Comment

Originally posted by txhushlife View Post
                            Gotcha! Thanks for the advice, just from looking at pictures of the area it does resemble that south texas brush, for those that are the every year hunters out there, do yall have alot of trouble with people walking in on your sits? I know its bound to happen sooner or later on the public land, my mindset would be to go as far and deep in as possible to get away from everyone else.
                            Yes definitely I have had people walk through my sets multiple times and even some of the same people multiple times while I was there which was frustrating. People have stole cameras blinds/stands and feeders from other hunters out there. We had a guy a couple years ago check out one of our spots to see what we were feeding then came back mid day put more feed out then tear down half the brush blind to through stinky camo burlap up over it (stupid as ****). He shot a deer that ran 50 yds then drug it back close to the feed pile gutted it and left. Had a guy walking through a 200 acre tract with multiple cars parked there and walk around with a shotgun smoking hoping to jump up something and walked up on a buddy of mine who stayed silent. When the guy was 5 ft away and saw my buddy he and got scared he jumped and pointed the shotgun at my buddy like a total IDIOT. We have gotten trail came pics of people walk around checking out our sets. Had a picture of a guy walking holding a deer rifle with a shotgun on his back. I guess thinking he could ditch the rifle if he was to see someone. Had a guy walk up on my set and look at my feed spot then look around seen me then walked about 100yds away sit on a log and lit up a cigarette. There had been guys running around on 4 wheelers and stole a ladies deer that her and her husband were 100yds or so behind blood trailing it. The same guys ran across the couple later and threatened them telling them to leave and that was their area. Had ran into some guys from goodfellow that were from up north that were deer hunting with shotguns in October so they weren't familiar with TPWD laws and seasons. Didn't seem to want to believe or care that October was archery only season. So there have been lots of A-holes in the past.

I am hope since TPWD has taken over and restrictions have been put in place these things have slowed way down if not stopped.
                            Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-05-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                              Yes definitely I have had people walk through my sets multiple times and even some of the same people multiple times while I was there which was frustrating. People have stole cameras blinds/stands and feeders from other hunters out there. We had a guy a couple years ago check out one of our spots to see what we were feeding then came back mid day put more feed out then tear down half the brush blind to through stinky camo burlap up over it (stupid as ****). He shot a deer that ran 50 yds then drug it back close to the feed pile gutted it and left. Had a guy walking through a 200 acre tract with multiple cars parked there and walk around with a shotgun smoking hoping to jump up something and walked up on a buddy of mine who stayed silent. When the guy was 5 ft away and saw my buddy he and got scared he jumped and pointed the shotgun at my buddy like a total IDIOT. We have gotten trail came pics of people walk around checking out our sets. Had a picture of a guy walking holding a deer rifle with a shotgun on his back. I guess thinking he could ditch the rifle if he was to see someone. Had a guy walk up on my set and look at my feed spot then look around seen me then walked about 100yds away sit on a log and lit up a cigarette. There had been guys running around on 4 wheelers and stole a ladies deer that her and her husband were 100yds or so behind blood trailing it. The same guys ran across the couple later and threatened them telling them to leave and that was their area. Had ran into some guys from goodfellow that were from up north that were deer hunting with shotguns in October so they weren't familiar with TPWD laws and seasons. Didn't seem to want to believe or care that October was archery only season. So there have been lots of A-holes in the past.

I am hope since TPWD has taken over and restrictions have been put in place these things have slowed way down if not stopped.
                              Well all those scenarios that did happen sound pretty ridiculous as im sure everyone has their own stories of frustration and misconduct on the public land, ive felt my own frustration sitting in a stand a guy comes walking through smoking a cigarette at granger. When i finally make my way out there im definitely going to be checking in with some of the local everyday guys to find a spot i can hunt without running through someones set up or area they are trying to harvest. I can only imagine spending months prepping and camera sets to finally get to hunt and have someone blow your hunt. its definitely not always avoidable on public land though. still have the mindset of going in farther eliminates alot of those 100yd hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post

Man there are some sorry people out there. I’ve had a few blinds and cameras stole out there myself, but I guess that’s the chance you take on public land. If you will do your homework, and have a little luck on your side, You can kill a deer out there that most people pay good money for.

Comment

Working...
                                X