BLM Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLM Lands

Ok I was filming a hunting show for two weeks up in Montana. From what I know and understand(they never said), we were hunting(filming) on BLM land. Does anyone have any experience on BLM lands for hunting? Is this considered and ran like our public lands here in Texas? If someone wanted to do a self-guided hunt on BLM what would be the first course of action? Second who wants to go with? It might be rifle or bow. So of the areas we filmed in,,, not sure a bow would've worked. But then again we were going for trophies and passed on tons of shooters.

HD

I don't know of any BLM lands in Texas you can hunt. There are various types of public lands in Texas (National Forest, USACOE, Public "leases", WMAs, National Wildlife Rufuges, etc.), all with vastly different rules and regs.

BLM in Montana should work much like National Forests and is open to hunting.

"The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) manages over 8 million acres of mostly range land and some forested land across the state. Most BLM lands that are legally accessible via a public road, navigable waterway, or adjacent state or federal land are open to hunting. You must have permission from the landowner to cross adjacent private land to hunt on BLM land. The BLM sells maps that identify BLM land. Maps are available from all BLM Area Offices, and by contacting the BLM State Office in Billings at (406) 896-5004."
    Last edited by JustinJ; 02-12-2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I hunt mostly on BLM land. Keep some bolt cutters handy for those land owners that try to control access points to large tracts of BLM lands by owning small tracts of land <10 acres on access roads.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
        I hunt mostly on BLM land. Keep some bolt cutters handy for those land owners that try to control access points to large tracts of BLM lands by owning small tracts of land <10 acres on access roads.
        Yes those are handy. Actually the area we hunted was pretty accessible. Very rough terrain and cold.

Comment

I'm thinking Mulies this season up there.

Comment

I hunted BLM land in Wyoming and Colorado, both of which were "Do-It-Yourself" hunts. They DO have their own "rules" but there are very few that are much different than USFS or state public lands. When you look up BLM regulations, it usually regards the travel on BLM roads, camping regulations, firewood collection and burning, etc... You can hunt on these lands just like you can hunt in a National Forest. When it comes to taking game, though, that's regulated by the state. BLM land has some really good hunting land. In both cases that I hunted BLM land, it was easily accessible and we had no problems.

Comment

We hunt BLM in several states every year. One of the best map resources is the local BLM office where you want to hunt. They offer tons of free information and maps. Also a phone call to the BLM office can usually answer just about any access questions you have.

If you plan on doing a diy hunt on public land I strongly suggest a gps and an onxhunt map for that state. It shows you private and public property boundaries as well as names and contact information for private land owners. It also will hold up legally if you are accused of trespassing or if a game warden questions your campsite location etc.

Let me know what seasons you are thinking about, I might be interested in a Montana trip!

Comment

There is BLM land in Byers on the red river. I have hunted there a couple years. Lots of pigs!!

Comment

I have hunted BLM land for years, BLM maps are your best friend, Had some guys one time try and post No Trespassing signs on some BLM land that I have hunted for years. One call to the warden in that area (also good to try and meet the local law in that area) and we collected all the signs. Bolt cutters to, hunters will put their own locks on the gates.

Comment

download back country navigator on your Android and download their maps for that area ...u will have a satellite and topo with trails and boundaries with your gps on your phone.
                    your welcome

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      download back country navigator on your Android and download their maps for that area ...u will have a satellite and topo with trails and boundaries with your gps on your phone.
                      your welcome
                      Thank you so much. Btw, is there a BLM app, or back country will cover blm info?

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                        We hunt BLM in several states every year. One of the best map resources is the local BLM office where you want to hunt. They offer tons of free information and maps. Also a phone call to the BLM office can usually answer just about any access questions you have.

If you plan on doing a diy hunt on public land I strongly suggest a gps and an onxhunt map for that state. It shows you private and public property boundaries as well as names and contact information for private land owners. It also will hold up legally if you are accused of trespassing or if a game warden questions your campsite location etc.

Let me know what seasons you are thinking about, I might be interested in a Montana trip!
                        Sorry about just now getting back too you. I'd missed this post. I have not set a date on the Montana hunt, I filmed one in Oct a few years ago for a tv show. It was freakin cold, saw tons of Mulies but they were hunting trophies. I'm open to working on a date for it?

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
                          Sorry about just now getting back too you. I'd missed this post. I have not set a date on the Montana hunt, I filmed one in Oct a few years ago for a tv show. It was freakin cold, saw tons of Mulies but they were hunting trophies. I'm open to working on a date for it?
                          I am headed to Idaho in September, then Arizona for a month in Dec/Jan, so my hunting calendar/budget is pretty well full for this fall. But I never say never when it comes to a mule deer tag. Late October/November might be possible lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                            I am headed to Idaho in September, then Arizona for a month in Dec/Jan, so my hunting calendar/budget is pretty well full for this fall. But I never say never when it comes to a mule deer tag. Late October/November might be possible lol

For a typical blm hunt what is a conservative budget?

Comment

Well your only costs are gas, food and tags. And a hotel/motel if you don't have the gear to camp.

Montana NR Deer Tag is about $600

Gas roundtrip from Houston is 400-500 @ 17mpg

Food depends on what you wanna spend but we budget about 50 per person per week of the hunt.

If you get 1 hotel on the way up and 1 on the way back add 200.

If you stay in a hotel all week add 400-600 more.

Assuming you stay in a wall tent and 4 guys ride together, you could probably get by on $1000 a person. That gives you a few dollars for fast food and souvenirs.

Comment

Working...
                              X