Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Official Davy Crockett 2015-2016 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
    [ATTACH]746864[/ATTACH]DRT baby.
    Congrats!!

Comment

38yards. Rage in the cage!
      Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations! Nice shot good sized doe too

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
          Congratulations! Nice shot good sized doe too
          Thanks. She actually dropped and little and I spined her, but none the less fresh deer meat

Comment

Congratulations.........help

Congratulations to all you successful bowhunters.

I used to be able to find a few deer. Not now. I covered about 7 miles this weekend looking in 4 different creek bottoms. I haven't found but one oak tree with acorns and very,very few deer tracks or sign. I never even bumped one......that I know of.

I worked the wind.....for the most part. I had a few lapses. You'd think that a person would accidentally jump a deer covering that much ground.

I was just scouting for gun season. I was being very careful of bowhunters. I never saw one of them either, in the woods. Almost all of them I saw, came out of the woods about 8:30. That's when I went scouting. If I saw fresh flagging, I'd get out of the area the way I came in.

If it weren't for drawing a doe permit for Alabama WMA, I'd head back to the National Forest a little further North.

Comment

Well at least you know what 7 miles the deer are NOT in.

Scouting acorn trees has always been pretty dang hard for me. Got to find the right oak species and then which trees the deer prefer. As you said, some are dropping but it just depends on which kind. I'm still seeing deer browsing on beauty berry bushes and greenbrier.

Acorns can be boom or bust... I try to at least be near thick browse/clearcuts whenever possible, because they still eat some of that even when they're gorging on those sweet acorns. Hunting large oak bottoms can be like looking for a needle in a haystack in my experience, but it can be amazing if you can time it right. Another 3-4 weeks the acorns will be dropping pretty good tho.

Comment

Need a little clarification from you guys.... A guy came by our camp this past weekend and said that he had talked to the game warden earlier that day and the game warden told him you have to have to be drawn for a doe permit, even in bow season. As I've always understood, that is only on the WMA land in DCNF. Have y'all heard anything about this?

Comment

Originally posted by hittman View Post
                  Need a little clarification from you guys.... A guy came by our camp this past weekend and said that he had talked to the game warden earlier that day and the game warden told him you have to have to be drawn for a doe permit, even in bow season. As I've always understood, that is only on the WMA land in DCNF. Have y'all heard anything about this?
                  The guy that told you that is confused, as I highly doubt a GW would be that mistaken about antlerless permits. Actually, the state doesn't even require a USFS permit in the WMA during archery only season, much less the general forest. Check it out here: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ply&p=10573879. You must, however, be in possession of the APH permit for any deer season on the WMA. That guy may have gotten the permit requirements mixed up. Good question, I'm sure others will benefit from the discussion.

Comment

Ok, that's what I thought! The link just takes me back to this post btw. Thank you for the info!

Comment

lol I'm an idiot, copied the wrong tab address

Comment

I was lucky enough to draw an antlerless permit this year. Thinking of heading down in a few days to check out the area. Never been to the Davy Crockett let alone the WMA. How are the hunters camp in the Alabama Creek WMA? Is 510A open?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by from_ky View Post
                          I was lucky enough to draw an antlerless permit this year. Thinking of heading down in a few days to check out the area. Never been to the Davy Crockett let alone the WMA. How are the hunters camp in the Alabama Creek WMA? Is 510A open?

Thanks
                          Nothing personal to you but this is exactly the problem with the current anterless permit draw system.

Comment

It does cause interest from folks that might otherwise hunt somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by from_ky View Post

Thanks
                              We camped on 509 and the camp was clean. They had a couple of porta potties as well.

Comment

Also,
                                You don't need the antlerless permit for bow season. You can use your tag.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X