Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney and Lake Aquilla 2015 -2016 this is it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steele Creek was closed Sunday too. I could see debris in the road about 200 yards down, and where park people had been driving through it.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-26-2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Mike, we duck hunting this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
        Mike, we duck hunting this year?

Yep.

Comment

And looking forward to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151002_121503.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	24453585

Name:	20151004_110134.jpg
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	24453586

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

[ATTACH]803286[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]803287[/ATTACH]
            Where's the boat all I see is grass.

Comment

TG, looks like you've duck hunted before.

Steele Creek Park is still closed today.

Comment

Reminds me of the van on Dumb and Dumber, or Trumps hair, but the engine is mounted!

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                  TG, looks like you've duck hunted before.

Steele Creek Park is still closed today.
                  That's what lead me to start deer hunting the W lake back in the mid 1980s. I duck hunted Aquilla before I ever went to Whitney. I used to really hammer the ducks over north Texas.
                  Last I checked, I had over 12 dozen duck deeques. And usually put out at least 5-6 dozen minimum. I've got my own personal theories on what works best for me. Been working on getting more goose deeques the last few years. Little over 3 doz floaters, full bodies, and shells now.

Nothing like the buzzing sound of air over a duck's or goose's wings on a silent morning. Followed by Bang Bang, pow pow.

One of my old boats.

Name:	user79_pic5029_1260844205.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	24453686
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

My first boat. I was a really poor man back then.
                    After building it, I went down and got it titled and registered. Bought a 5hp 1953 Wards SeaKing by Evenrude. Turning was tricky. As there were NO runners on the bottom of the hull to help navigate, or keep it in a straight line. If ya turned the tiller to fast, boat would still be going forward. But in a sideways fashion .

Name:	1st duckboat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24453688

Name:	1st duckboat2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24453689
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-28-2016, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I've hunted a lot of different critters but never tried duck or goose hunting. I don't know the first thing about it. Do they still use a point system? It would probably be a little hard recovering arrows.
                      I use to dove hunt before Nam. I haven't hunted much with firearms since I got home. I've used them for protection and varmint control on the farm but just when I needed to. I'm just now getting back into shooting firearms. I'm actually enjoying it.

Comment

It's a lotta fun coop. No more points system. Daily limit is 6 on duck during the general duck season. There are limits in aggregate on certain species. But that's not a problem if your with a well seasoned hunter. It's also nice to be able to just kick back and talk and joke around, drink coffee, cook breakfast, and have a good time. Kinda cool seeing them come in on a landing too after working the deeques. Some just "drop and plop" in. Some sail in. Some buzz in or by. I always keep a turky call with me too. Cause you never know when your gonna hear them respond too. Same with the late dove season. I've had a few early morning duck hunts turn into late season, late morning, dove hunts. No lead shot allowed on person or in possession while duck hunting or having been. There are light steel loads in smaller shot sizes like #7 for doves, and swatter loads on cripples. I also use them on common snipe and woodcock when I get a chance. Snipe are a common flyby during mid to late season. They have a very erratic flight pattern like dove. And about the same size.

snipe

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

[ATTACH]803286[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]803287[/ATTACH]

Man that boat looks awesome? You in for early teal?

Comment

I'll be out-of-pocket the first weekend. Got a weekend dove hunt tentatively scheduled that weekend. But have the second and third weekends open if things don't change.

Comment

Hey fellers. Could use some help this weekend at the TTHA show if ya get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                                Reminds me of the van on Dumb and Dumber, or Trumps hair, but the engine is mounted!
                                Bwahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                                X