Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Shnf 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
    I'm seeing an end in sight for my boat. Should be running wire by tonight and then securing down the decks. All that will be left is rebuilding the console, put in the seat, and spray the rest of the tuff coat finish. I'm ready to get out in it before deer season
    Mine is getting new tires on it. Just wired some new LED lights last weekend and ran great during the night. We seriosly need to set up a night grind for all of us in 2 weeks... I have a crossfit comp next wekend but I'm open the next Saturday night..

Comment

Im getting ready for my 4th season at sam ranch but, this will be my first with a bow in my hand. Its been 15 years since i have shoot a bow. Its all coming back slowly.

Im new to this site but it seems like good bunch of people so hello everyone. My kids have got me back into shooting so, that makes it that much better. I was a happy dad today!! My nine and eleven year with here first bow....

Good luck and good shooting
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
        Whew, long day of fun! It was a fun time had by all, no doubt. I guess I didn't realize, when we made plans ,that this was Daniel and Sherry's first time bowfishing but I doubt it will be their last! A fire has been lit!

The day started out slow with not many fish being seen. Murky water, mostly cloudy skies and choppy water, made fish sightings difficult at best. It was well after noon when we moved into the Lilly Pads and got into floating fish. They would float up under or around the Lilly Pads and think they were hidden. That's when the shootin' began!

We brought back half a dozen Tilapia and a gar Daniel couldn't resist. Daniel also gill shot a Tilapia that pulled off in the Lilly Pads that didn't make it in the boat.

Maybe we could plan a TBH trip up there to chase those elusive "Grey Ghosts" before deer season is upon us. Between my boat, Damian's boat, Andy's boat, we should be able to make it happen. Bowfishing gear might be a little thin but I think camping, bowfishing, or just fishing, would be a blast.
        Glad Yall had fun. Haven't been in prolly 11-12 yrs. I need to get another set up, maybe when I get back from this next job. Depends on when yall plan on doing the trip. Hope I'm home for it.

Comment

Sounds like yall had a great time.

I went to the forest today. Saw a few of the deer that aren't there. Could not find any pigs or even fresh signs. Was informed I cannot practice in the forest. Took my target and bow was going to set it at different distances to practice. Found where some one has been placing those apple flavored blocks, maybe a dozen in all.

I need one of you more intelligent people to find a market for biting bugs, we could be rich over nite.

Comment

I'm down for a fishing, bowfishing, or what ever trip.
            I'll be scouting a new area tomorrow. Not ready for some cameras, since I don't know when I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderin39 View Post
              Was informed I cannot practice in the forest. Took my target and bow was going to set it at different distances to practice.
              I wonder why? I know that you can not target shoot with a gun in the forest, but I have never heard that you can not shoot a bow. The only place I have run into a problem is at the State Parks or Cagle. It's a no go there, but I have never heard you couldn't practice in the forest. That's a new one for me.

Comment

I know you can get a ticket if you practice at the primitive camp sight. But in the forest doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                  I'll be scouting a new area tomorrow. Not ready for some cameras
                  Starting next weekend I'm going to get focused on my scouting. I have a list of area's that I want to explore, some old, some new.

I want to put some game cams out but Wanderin has me nervous about it. I may just stick with my Primos Turkey Trackers because they are small and easily concealed. I can elevate them and catch a very broad area. (maybe 150 yards out). Plus, their cheap and if they come up missing I'm not out a bunch.

The downside is that they don't take night pics, and it's time consuming to review all the footage mostly of nothing.

Bottom line is I like seeing what's moving around and a game cam is a useful tool. I just don't like a thief!

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                    I know you can get a ticket if you practice at the primitive camp sight. But in the forest doesn't make sense.
                    Yes, there are rules concerning the camps. Not in the general forest that I'm aware of.

Comment

Welcome aboard getaway!

Good for you and your kids, getting back into archery. It's an awesome family sport

Comment

Getting Forest back today, that is the lab puppy that some on put in my truck early last season. He went with a retired friend of mine for training. Will shoot some pigeons that are taking over a barn and see how he does. From wet, cold, hungry, lost pup to hunting partner.

Lady that told me could not practice in the forest was wearing a t shirt with SHNF tour guide of some sort on. She stopped ahead of my truck and couldn't see what was on the truck.

Comment

I'm going to ask the Game Warden, cause this is an interesting scenario. As long as you weren't violating any of this rule, it shouldn't have been a problem.

• Individuals may not discharge a firearm or any other implement
                          capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging
                          property as follows: (1) In or within 150 yards of a
                          residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or
                          occupied area, or (2) Across or on a National Forest System
                          road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or
                          place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or
                          damage as a result in such discharge.

Heck, I've thought about doing exactly what you were doing. Practicing from an elevated position is ideal.

Comment

I was going to shoot down a closed road or beside it. I thought of going by the office, long way out of the way, but wanted to know for sure. And I want to know if the apple blocks are legal also.

Comment

I can tell you for sure the Apple blocks are illegal.
                              Hunters can not put out anything that is edible to the animals. Scents are fine, but nothing they can eat.

Comment

That is what I thought, found them in the area I hunted last year and was going to this year. And looking at the doe tag numbers, looks unlikely will get another this year. Will look for other areas, give me excuse to spend more time out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X