Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZAdams View Post
    How many arrows did you have?
    I had plenty of arrows, and I don't mind killing a pig, but it was 5:30 in the morning in the middle of the forest. I couldn't see well enough to kill anything. Besides I didn't want them stirred up.

A technicality is that it is illegal to hunt hogs before 30 min before sunrise in the SAM.

(see guys - there is a nugget of information free of charge)

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
      Okay, so here is a hunting story.
      I did not grow up hunting around hogs.
      The area I hunt most in SHNF does not have hogs.
      I moved to another area the other day because of the wind.
      At 5:30 in the morning, with only a bow for protection -
      I walked in on two sets of hogs.
      I waited for the first set to walk away, then waited another 10 minutes before continuing.
      I ran into a second set about 200 yds on down the trail. This time I could tell they were all around me. I ain't talking no piglets, these were big hogs. I tried moving my light and coughing etc, but they didn't leave. It just seemed to make them mad.
      I knelled down by a tree and tried to wait them out.

What says you guys on how to handle this? Do you leave? Do you stay and wait for light? Do you just keep walking?
      Eddie a couple years ago I had a group or herd of hogs all around my tree I heard them as I approached I just eased in an put my stand on my tree in record timing and didn't worry about my harness until I was about 5ft up the tree. They were squealing snorten clashing their teeth sounded like 2 big boars fighting with a group of on lookers cheering them on. And I'm positive they were easy bow range.

Comment

I think there have been enough issues with new people the last few years that a little "boiling over" was likely. I'm over it and it's done. NFH I think my blood pressure WAS getting up there...'course that could've been work related too LOL

So, back to what we're all here for. Anybody going out this weekend? Damian it's looking more and more like you're going to be set for Sunday.

I'm probably going to help my dad with a few last things at the farm on Saturday then turn south and go to the lease Sunday. I am SO looking forward to it. After being cooped up all last weekend I am about to go crazy here.
        Last edited by Etxbuckman; 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAdams View Post
          How many arrows did you have?
          I waited for the first set to walk away, then waited another 10 minutes before continuing.
          I ran into a second set about 200 yds on down the trail. This time I could tell they were all around me. I ain't talking no piglets, these were big hogs. I tried moving my light and coughing etc, but they didn't leave. It just seemed to make them mad.

What says you guys on how to handle this? Do you leave? Do you stay and wait for light? Do you just keep walking?
          Well me Id arrow a hog! but that's me. Actually despite the drama of mythical grizzly bear style attacks,hogs will run from you most the time! You'll have to do more than cough if they are feeding though!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            I think there have been enough issues with new people the last few years that a little "boiling over" was likely. I'm over it and it's done. NFH I think my blood pressure WAS getting up there...'course that could've been work related too LOL

So, back to what we're all here for. Anybody going out this weekend? Damian it's looking more and more like you're going to be set for Sunday.

I'm probably going to help my dad with a few last things at the farm on Saturday then turn south and go to the lease Sunday. I am SO looking forward to it. After being cooped up all last weekend I am about to go crazy here.

Doesn't look like the weathers going to cooperate for deer hunting, so I'm headed south for a little duck hunting. Either way I'll be happy to getting out there.

Comment

You nock an arrow and shoot at one. Not even joking. If you want them to leave, shoot at one. Pork tastes good too.

Hunting hogs on foot, in the dark (full moon is better) is probably the most fun I have ever had with a bow. I've never seen a hog during my hunts in the forest and I'd consider myself lucky if I walked upon some. I'd have hunted them. You obviously had the wind in your favor.

Oh and by the way, when there is a group of hogs, coughing will not scare them off, in fact, if I suspect that hogs are around the next treeline when I am walking, I will intentionally grunt and huff and puff as I am walking so they think I am one of them. In the dark, it works really well actually.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                No sir, I value your opinion just as much as everyone else's.

There isn't much I can do. I'm not a moderator. I don't have time to police this thread. I don't always agree with what happens, or how far something gets taken. But I don't have control of everyone's keyboard.
                This year, yes, it has been WAY over the top.

So we are all grown men.

Calm it down.

There, that better?
                the more I think about it.. the more I realize that most on this thread don't get their non-hunting related fun/questions out on the other threads on the ATC. My bet is that all the joshing, jokes, dog piling, etc is because people don't go anywhere but this thread. And this thread has exploded.

And it's obvious. When you see a public hunter throw out a public hunting thread out on the ATC, they get hammered, because there are definitely two different worlds and you won't notice it until you venture out.

I still subscribe to this thread because of the hunting in the sam.... sort of what this thread used to be about... not the large amount of additional antics that I usually just see in the ATC posts that has bled into this one single, long-arse thread.

So... yeah, I am all for that talking cars, what cam do you use, how bad do you sing, mirrors over your bed, etc... but I guess I expect that on a different thread.

That is what I was getting at... not about sharing GPS coords or all that.

And... the best way to get rid of a troll is to STOP FEEDING IT. Dog piling doesn't make a troll go away. Trolls love dog piles. All dog piling does is give folks who lurk... who might share in the future a bad taste in their mouth, most likely because they don't realize somebody is trolling (or maybe they are really just, well... slow... really slow... and that well, is okay too.) If somebody is trolling, don't answer their question. I don't answer a lot of questions I know the answer too if I can tell I am being baited.

Anywho... don't mind me.

Comment

Have been very busy last couple of weeks and looks like I missed a lot to things on here.

So is anyone besides me going to brave the rain tomorrow to try to sling an arrow?

Comment

A technicality is that it is illegal to hunt hogs before 30 min before sunrise in the SAM.

(see guys - there is a nugget of information free of charge)
                    Page 143 of the handbook for those that want to fact check it

Comment

This is basically a campfire thread for all the SHNF hunters and occasionally we do share a real fire and a cold one. On the main around the campfire when some one discusses a 160" cull or guess his score and all 10 bucks at the protein feeder score 200" plus with the high fence in the back ground and these days they are tattooed and not tagged so its less obvious.Or discusing which crew cab UTV is best that they drive and patk under their stand. While it takes alot of us upwards of an hr walking or biking to get to to our area and set up while hoping no one beat us to it. We around this campfire understand each other
                      Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 10-30-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                        Lemme guess you applied for every free tag on the website?
                        Yes I did

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                        x3

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                        My wife is using it on her phone and likes it.
                        My phone is a Galaxy S2 and is too old to use the app. I'm going to change to the S3 next month, so I will be able to use it then
                        I love marking all the signs and mapping pinch points....lets you be really accurate to help movement

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                        We could alway put in a probation period and some initiation
                        is hazing allowed?

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                        Ha! New guy......yeah right
                        fawn status here

[quote=AJMag;10687733]Every day is a new day when you're old as dirt. So yeah, he's a new guy.

I call them bonus laps

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                        Anyone know of any antenna booster for T-Mobile
                        if you find one let me know......I used to have one for att but it didn't work in the woods

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          You nock an arrow and shoot at one. Not even joking. If you want them to leave, shoot at one. Pork tastes good too.

Hunting hogs on foot, in the dark (full moon is better) is probably the most fun I have ever had with a bow. I've never seen a hog during my hunts in the forest and I'd consider myself lucky if I walked upon some. I'd have hunted them. You obviously had the wind in your favor.

Oh and by the way, when there is a group of hogs, coughing will not scare them off, in fact, if I suspect that hogs are around the next treeline when I am walking, I will intentionally grunt and huff and puff as I am walking so they think I am one of them. In the dark, it works really well actually.

You guys are bladder men than me. I have been in Texas for 5 years and this is the first time I have been around hogs. I have heard all the stories so needless to say I was nervous. I thought about slinging an arrow at one, but knew I couldn't hit it, and I knew it was illegal to do in the SAM, so I didn't. And yes, the wind was perfect, that is why I chose that area to hunt. I still had another 300 yards to get to my spot, and they were feeding that direction. I knew if I could have got past them I'd have a shot come daylight, but it didn't happen.

Comment

Jtap, I called TMobile earlier this year and was told nothing will help in the Sam. They do not sell anything to help.

Comment

Once you get a little more experience around hogs, you'll realize they are not the threat that some want to make them. I laugh every time someone tells a "hog chased me" or "dangerous hog" story.

I've personally killed over 600 feral hogs, including quite a few with a bow. Most were on foot in thick brush and tall grass. Many at close range.

In all those hogs, I had a total of 2 even begin to charge me. And they were false charges by hogs I had already shot and wounded. I was going into dense brush to finish them off.

Dangerous hogs are like Yeti, Sasquatch and the tooth fairy. Some people actually believe they exist. Most, if not all, hog encounters that resulted in an injury were the result of someone cornering the hog and usually after it was injured.

But boy we can sure tell some good stories about "dangerous" wild hogs.

Comment

You guys are bladder men than me. I have been in Texas for 5 years and this is the first time I have been around hogs. I have heard all the stories so needless to say I was nervous. I thought about slinging an arrow at one, but knew I couldn't hit it, and I knew it was illegal to do in the SAM, so I didn't. And yes, the wind was perfect, that is why I chose that area to hunt. I still had another 300 yards to get to my spot, and they were feeding that direction. I knew if I could have got past them I'd have a shot come daylight, but it didn't happen.
                                Don't know about bold... stupid maybe.

Long story short.

2am, South Texas mesquite, 16K acre ranch, 12 miles from the border, no side arm, Stalked a ~200lb single boar from 400 yards out to within 15 yards. He sounded like he was eating the road. Wind at my face. Hadn't slept in 20 hours....

For the 5 seconds I waited for him to come out from behind a tree so I could finally see him again and take a shot, I thought to myself.... What the heck am I doing here????

Glad he ran the other way with my arrow sticking out of him. Made it 60 yards. That was one big sucker to pull out of all that thick tangly crap at 5am in the morning (delayed because we let him sit while we tracked a buddy's hog that he had killed at midnight.)

I really really really REALLY enjoy hunting critters at eye level. Just something about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X