Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody gonna try San Angelo this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anybody gonna try San Angelo this year?

Just wondering if anybody was

I put my group in for the gun deer either sex. Just thought I would try a different area this year. One of theese days I need to sit down and figure out how many of these hunts I have been drawn on.

Comment

how do you apply for it? i have never hunted public

Comment

Follow the link to aply Unluckyhunter

Comment

Got drawn 3 yrs ago. Lots of deer in the "park" picnic area. Most hunters in picnic area got their 4 deer limits. no1 on the other hand drew an out-of-way area. Saw more dead deer on road than in my area.
          Good luck
          I'll be up there on a pay hunt in December.

Comment

dosranchhand -- I will be hunting the wma land by oc fisher in October or November for the first time. I am chasing turkey primarily, but I won't hesitate to take a deer if one wanders in near my blind. I am going to try to find roosting trees along the river on the north side, throw out some crack corn, and set up a blind. I have a hen decoy, too. I've shot a lot of birds, but never arrowed one. Any tips on San Angelo oc fisher wma would be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nativerat View Post
              dosranchhand -- I will be hunting the wma land by oc fisher in October or November for the first time. I am chasing turkey primarily, but I won't hesitate to take a deer if one wanders in near my blind. I am going to try to find roosting trees along the river on the north side, throw out some crack corn, and set up a blind. I have a hen decoy, too. I've shot a lot of birds, but never arrowed one. Any tips on San Angelo oc fisher wma would be welcomed.
              you better read the fine print on the regulations on san angelo wma, it doesnt say anything about baiting, tossing out corn.

Comment

Grenade -- I will look at the regs again. I spoke with two park officials a couple of weeks ago and one of them specifically said I could "broadcast" bait, but no feeders are allowed. Anyone else know the scoop? Anyone ever bow hunt turkey on San Angelo?

btw - love your avatar!

Comment

yeah just call and make sure its ok, sometimes they make their own rules up as they go but in the public lands book it doesnt mention baiting is allowed. just be carefull and if they do say its ok, get that persons name and phone number just in case the man comes around.

Comment

I just got my Public Hunting Permit and I want to hunt the San Angelo area. Can I not just go? Or do you have to be drawn to hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by d1rich1 View Post
                      I just got my Public Hunting Permit and I want to hunt the San Angelo area. Can I not just go? Or do you have to be drawn to hunt?
                      The Twin Buttes Resrvoir area is FREE and NO permit required. I hunted there for several years (I live in SA) before getting on a deer lease. Really good hunting. Opening day is usually a circus but then its pretty quite after that. Avoid unit 2 at all costs. It's overrun on weekends. Try unit 1 and go back as far to the back of the property as possible near the river and walk the roads around the thick brush near banks. Don't bother with "nice" open tree shade areas. Deer ONLY go into the open areas at night after the shootin' stops. The entire area is also SHOTGUN hunting (and archery) during rifle season. Stick to fence lines and river areas and you'll do good. I filled my tags last year as well as putting some of my buddies on some deer too. Bucks are crafty here though the biggest buck in the county was taken out the last year or the year before (cant remember).

Comment

TBR advice thanks

Thanks for the heads up on TBR. I was coming down to OCF 10/17-10/21 but I may go to TBR instead and take your advice. I'm driving down from Weatherford I can check them both out.

Comment

Traffic has been minimum at TBR so far, but the weekend you are planning on coming out I would expect to see an influx due to close proximity of shotgun season opening out there. Bring a 4 wheeler to access farther back thicker areas where most people don't wanna take their nice shiney trucks into and you'll do just fine though. I'm off work that Friday the 17th if ya wanna scout around. I can show you at least a few good spots to look at that often produce. A pop-up blind will greatly increase your chances around there, so bring one if ya got it. One spot is close to my ranch that boarders Unit 4. It's a "watering hole" surrounded by thick cover, the other 2 spots are on the SE corner of the public land in the Unit 1 and Unit 5 areas. Mossy Oak "brush" pattern camo works great around there as well.

I've offered to show a couple people this same courtesy that said they were coming out here, but none called when they said they were coming down so this is probably the last time I'm gonna be able to do it with the season starting to really kick in now.

Comment

Working...
                          X