Old Sabine Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine Alternatives

So my kid drew a youth hunt at Old Sabine this weekend. I just looked at the weather, and it looks like there is a decent chance for some bad weather this weekend. From the sounds of it, you don't want to be there when it is wet. I don't have a lease, so my only option is public hunting. I usually go to LBJ, but I want to go somewhere we can use our rifles. I was thinking if we don't go to Old Sabine, we could either go to Davy Crockett National Forest or Sam Houston National Forest. What say you guys? It's more about having fun and bonding, so which do you think would be more fun?

I'd rather sit in the back yard and watch the grass grow than to hunt old Sabine bottom personally.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      I'd rather sit in the back yard and watch the grass grow than to hunt old Sabine bottom personally.

LOL really? Is it that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
        LOL really? Is it that bad?
        I've been there on a few drawn hunts and it's always the same. Too many people and not enough game. There are deer there and you might get lucky though. They do not turn people away. If they draw for 20 hunts and 30 people show up for standby positions all 50 people will hunt. If you're just looking to get away with your boy and make some memories you might have a blast. If you see a deer consider it a bonus.

Comment

I've been there on a few drawn hunts and it's always the same. Too many people and not enough game. There are deer there and you might get lucky though. They do not turn people away. If they draw for 20 hunts and 30 people show up for standby positions all 50 people will hunt. If you're just looking to get away with your boy and make some memories you might have a blast. If you see a deer consider it a bonus.

I don't want to go out there if it rains though. Have you hunted DCNF?

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
            I don't want to go out there if it rains though. Have you hunted DCNF?
            Yes I have but it's been years. Are you planning to tent camp?

Comment

Yes I have but it's been years. Are you planning to tent camp?
              Yes we are planning on camping.

Comment

I don't like the designated camping areas at DCNF personally. Seems like I always ended up next to a party. Like I said though, I haven't been there in years so I don't know what is like now.

Comment

I don't like the designated camping areas at DCNF personally. Seems like I always ended up next to a party. Like I said though, I haven't been there in years so I don't know what is like now.
                  Thanks. I appreciate the info. His dad has a lease, so they get to sit in a blind. He is looking forward to doing some hiking and scouting.

Comment

Working...
                  X