Kerr WMA management hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerr WMA management hunt

just got back from Kerr wma. I went w/ 2 other guys hoping to come back w/ some meat. what a great time we had. the weather was cold and windy but sure was great not to sweat while hunting in the hill country.
    from the time we got there to the end every thing was well planned out and ran really smooth. all the Parks guys were super nice and extremely helpful w/ the hunt. we got to the wma at 9am to check in early so they could give us a tour of our compartment. that was such a great help so when we got done w/ the rules and regs we hit the woods ready to hunt. the compartments had been pre selected to fit our group size which we got the middle and east bobcat and the river compartments. around 800 A for 4 guys. one of our group wasnt able to make it.
    so we had on our list to hunt was a mature doe and a 4 pointer or less. which meant we were hunting spikes. that was the main purpose to remove inferior antler quality on young bucks. please no spike debates on this thread.
    the place is in such a beautful part of texas that getting to hunt it was a thrill in it self. good cover deep ravines some good opening to make the long shots and a little elevation change. oaks mixed w/ cedar and some small tracts of crp to hunt.
    first evening i chose to set up a lock on tree stand over looking a ravine w/ a fence line behind me that was loaded w/ good signs. within 30 mins i had turkey eating up my corn i just put out. then the deer started moving, saw a total of 3 mama does and 4 yearlings. just not a good shot to take one. around 2:30 that day one of the guys i was w/ took a great doe, he got the started quick. was excited about what i was seeing.
    the next morning i put out some sweet feed on the fenceline then headed to my stand. just before legal light i had a doe and a yearling about 250 yrds feeding in a crp field i was watching, after about 30 mins they moved off. then another set of deer was on the fenceline about 350 yrds. great morning so far. they took off when a big shooter buck started pushing them out of there so he could feed. then around 8am a doe and 2 little ones slowly made their way down the fenceline to about 60 yrds, so i was finally on the board w/ an old doe that was 6.5 yrs old. i stayed on the stand to see more does and another buck both werent on my list to shoot. it was now spikes and exotics. i did a little scouting the meet up w/ the guys for lunch. our hunt was now half over at this point. the guys in the next compartments over had already gotten 2 does, 1 spike and an aoudad.
    that evening i decided to go down near the river compartment to see if i could get a spike coming out of the thick stuff to check does of just maybe an axis or 2. the parks guys had told us that the axis had been traveling from the far west side going back to the middle of the property on a regular basis. so i had a little hope but when i got to the blind the larger open areas that i had was bad due to the wind but i put out corn just for fun. not 30 mins later i ahd a doe and a young one almost walk into the blind w/ me. she knew something was wrong but just could not resist the corn. she feed for about 5 mins then took off. that was about 2:30pm so the next 2.5 hrs i saw nothing birds. about 5:15 i seen what looks to be a leagl spike coming up ouy of a ravine then i see spots, AXIS!!! so i throw my gun up and sure enough it a young axis buck. he stops right in my shooting lane w/ the wind blowing straight to him. he then turns looking right at me. so i had no choice but to shhot him head on in the chest hitting him in the right side if his neck going out behind his shoulder, boom i could tell he was hit hard. then i see about 4 or 5 more axis!! then the big one steps into the same spot as the one i just shot, turns broad side and looks at me, BOOM!! he tries to do the old mule kick then bolts out of there. by then they had all scattered. wow what had just happened, that was about 45 seconds since i saw the spots on the first axis. to say i was excited was an understatement. so i wait a super long time to make sure i had given them enough time, longest 15 to 20 mins of my life. went to look for blood, no blood!! WHAT THE HECK!!
    so i just turn to go look in that direction, not 20 yrds they are both piled up about 15 yrds apart. that was crazy what just happened.
    anyway the next morning no luck, we got out of our stands early to get all the work done to get home as early as possible.

if anyone is going to kerr WMA you will have a great time. Ryan runs a great program
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aggee1992; 11-14-2014, 09:15 PM.

Congrats!!

Comment

thanks texmex.

sorry but that is the only pic i can get to download, i have a better one of the larger buck.

Comment

Congratulations on the axis double!

Comment

thanks JIC

Comment

Sweet!!!

Comment

Wow! That is wonderful!

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt. Congats.

Pm sent with some questions.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Wow! Let me see if I can get this straight...you just shot 2 axis on public land?

Comment

Go play the lottery now!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by krtnorris View Post
                          Go play the lottery now!

This

Comment

it was quite a trip. just found a good spot w/ lots of signs.

thanks for all the congrats

pm sent about the either sex hunt.

Comment

Didnt get your message. Will you send it again?

Comment

Working...
                              X