Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete newbie with a couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete newbie with a couple of questions...

Greetings guys!
    I'm a complete bow hunting newbie. I haven't hunted in many years and I've never bow hunted.
    I've been hanging around this board a few days now and was curious as to how you go about getting involved in the public hunts I keep reading about.
    I know there is some kind of drawing that takes place but where can I get more information on it?

Thanks!

Following as I'm new to bow hunting and have previously always had a lease to hunt. I am very interested in public land hunting as well.

Comment

most of all the drawn hunts are past the deadline to apply but there are still areas where anyone can hunt as long as you have an APH (annual public hunt permit) which can be purchased through tpwd directly or at any retailer that sells hunting licenses. once you get your APH TPWD will mail you the Public Hunting Lands Booklet with all the hunting units in it and then you just pick your spot and go hunt.

this is the best place to start

Good Luck!

Edit: wanted to add that the APH will cost you $48 and to be sure you read the rules in the front of your APH Lands booklet. Not all legal game is legal in every unit listed and there are only a handful of areas that allow deer hunting. There are also rules that do not apply when hunting on private lands such as in most units Hunter Orange will be required if its during ANY gun season weather it be waterfowl or whatever.
      Last edited by Jäger; 11-14-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

i don't know anything about hunting public land but under the search button there is a public hunting forum.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
          i don't know anything about hunting public land but under the search button there is a public hunting forum.
          That's where I posted this.

Comment

Originally posted by s1rGr1nG0 View Post
            That's where I posted this.
            woops,. guess i better start looking a little closer.
            good luck, and welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Jäger View Post
              most of all the drawn hunts are past the deadline to apply but there are still areas where anyone can hunt as long as you have an APH (annual public hunt permit) which can be purchased through tpwd directly or at any retailer that sells hunting licenses. once you get your APH TPWD will mail you the Public Hunting Lands Booklet with all the hunting units in it and then you just pick your spot and go hunt.

this is the best place to start

Good Luck!
              This. Welcome to the fire.

Comment

There are some great places out there that don't require a draw. Check out TPWD website and that should get you started. Get your permit and they will give you a public hunting lands book then its up to you.

Comment

Also welcome

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                    woops,. guess i better start looking a little closer.
                    good luck, and welcome

Thanks Sticker and the rest of you guys!

As I mentioned, I'm totally new to archery. I've never bow hunted. In fact, the last time I hunted was in high school...30+ years ago.
                    Now that I have 2 kids of my own, (15 and 6, both girls), I wanted to take up hunting again and hopefully get them out to experience it. The little one is showing more interest than big sister but hopefully she will come around.

Comment

well there is one thing about it and that is that TPWD gives alot of opportunities to youth hunters through there Public hunting programs so get those kiddos out there and preserve our sport!

Comment

Working...
                      X