No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney / Lake Aquilla 08/09 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any intrest in a group campout the first weekend in May?

Comment

I would but have a tourney on the 3rd.

Comment

A night of running jugs. The biggest was 5.5lbs. The sandi was the only thing caught while trying to catch crappie on Aquilla. The bite has been slow.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice catch LW !

Comment

Were those on 2 hook, twenty foot lines? And were you useing shad?

Comment

Double 7/0 Gamukatsu circle
              hooks, 20' to 25' and using fresh shad half cut and half alive.

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Were those on 2 hook, twenty foot lines? And were you useing shad?

Comment

A good day on the water

We caught aorund 60 to 70 with 52 keepers went back to the house cleaned the fish ate lunch charged the batteries then headed back out again. The second trip we caught around 30 fish with 16 keepers which are in the ichest pictures. Not sure if they have all spawned yet still had eggs. My little brother also caught two at a time on the same crank bait that was pretty crazy.
                Attached Files

Comment

You should have enough fish before long to carry you over to deer season . Congrats on the haul (ing) . Looks like a few really nice sows in there too!

I spent a lot of time and money chais-n those things all over the Big W when I was younger . That and their larger cuz-ns
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I sure would like to get into a mess of their cuz-ns.

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    You should have enough fish before long to carry you over to deer season . Congrats on the haul (ing) . Looks like a few really nice sows in there too!

I spent a lot of time and money chais-n those things all over the Big W when I was younger . That and their larger cuz-ns

Comment

I was looking at the map for public hunting at Lake Whitney, and noticed that there was some public land at the end of King's Creek. Has anybody ever hunted this area? Thanks for any help you can give.

Comment

aquilla water levels?

hows the water level on aquilla so far, havent been down there in a while and was wondering what it looks like and if the prospects of gettin to my old hunting spot by canoe will be at all possible this year.

Comment

We were at Aquilla a couple weeks ago, it was full. With last weekes rain I bet it's over full.

Comment

thanks for the info.

Comment

Sorry guys. I kinda fell off the end . Data from the ACE Ft. Worth District web sight.

Whitney: Present level 523.82,
                              Conservation level (full or normal level) 533.0

Aquilla: Present level 537.52
                              Conservation level (full or normal level) 537.5

Possum King: Present level 995.93
                              Conservation level (full or normal level)1000.0

The reason I included PK is, in most cases, it needs to be near full before they will release water to flow down stream to Grandbury, then into Whitney. I did not include Grandbury because it is always thier demeaner to keep it within two feet of top conservation pool level there. If that lake gets two feet high, many holmes get flooded out. But if PK opens any gates, Grandbury will immediatly release the same outflow so no flooding occurs. I have watched this for many years. And used to call to find out when water releases would occur so I could fish for strippers below the dams .
                              Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Met up with Switchback late Friday for a quick trip. He stoked a fire and flashed some food; wild turkey breast with corn on cob, chips, and salsa.

I haven't wet a line in many many many moons, So we netted up some bait and caught a few small ones from 12AM-3AM. Got up at 7:30 and fixed duck faitas with eggs on flour tortillias with taquilla-lime salsa. Then we headed out about 10:30AM

Still got the knack on a 2" perch

Cam back about 1-ish and fixed lunch before leaving.

couple of large vinison burgers

And a few catfish fillets

Nice 24 hours on the lake. Enjoyed your cook-n and company Switchback. And you saw it, itty bitty baits they take
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X