Good luck public land dove hunters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck public land dove hunters!

Not sure how many of you are taking advantage of the TPWD leased private lands for dove hunting, but I really enjoy it. Cheapest dove lease going and I've hunted the same fields the past 5 years so I have a pretty good idea by now how the dove move.

If you're heading out tomorrow, good luck to you! Post up how you're doing.

I'll be somewhere between Round Top and Burton tomorrow, scouting S'ville in the middle of the day.

Should be a great day!

I'll be in Waller! Good luck to you as well sir

Comment

Good luck in Waller.

Comment

Anxious to see how ya'll do. First time in a long time, no where to go...bummer

Comment

I got skunked! Only saw three birds. I'll have to try again this evening.

Comment

Wish u guys had joined us we smoked them..had a limit by 830...join us on the lake Whitney page..

Comment

best opener I've seen in 3 seasons.....should've had my limit but my shooting eye wasn't as sharp as normal......many folks did get a limit......sounded like a war zone

Comment

Worst opener I've seen in 3 seasons. LOL. Guess it really depended on where you were. None of the "regulars" where I was hunting had a good morning.

I bagged 4 this morning, but only because I got on a lucky run and shot 4 with 5 shots. Nobody else I talked to got more than 3.

Evening was better for the one group in the ONE spot on the field where the dove were passing through, but they were burning up a lot of ammo for the few doves they were getting.

Looking forward to seeing if more dove come down in the next few weeks. Either way, I got a new shotgun broke in!

Comment

I was working not hunting... but driving around the kyle/buda area it sounded like fireworks this morning until around 11 am.

By noon or so the doves were flying high or hanging out on the telephone lines looking nervous as can be!

Comment

Yea, the afternoon dove were flying MUCH higher than the morning dove.

Comment

Me and my sons go to the valley every year for the early white wing season

Comment

I miss the valley. I used to hunt the TPWD properties down there in the early 90's and they were always loaded with dove. Many times I limited out by 9:00 a.m.

Well, still working on a limit for this year. LOL. I think I've shot 13 total now. Enough to feed the wife and daughter and myself one evening, but not nearly enough shooting for my taste. Maybe I'll get out some more, but bow season will probably put an end to my dove hunting as usual.

Comment

Any body ever hunt north stringfellow? Hard to find a decent public place within a few hours of galveston

Comment

Nope. Some place you might investigate is the Matagorda peninsula, up the beach from the town of Matagorda. I understand TWPD manages a large area there as a WMA, although it's really tough to find information on it.

Comment

Thanks ill look into it, gunna make the trip to the valley in a week or so. Headin to north stringfellow now but not very optimistic

Comment

Working...
                              X