WY Antelope Hunt advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WY Antelope Hunt advice

I will be heading to Wyoming in October for my first ever antelope hunt. Never been to or hunted WY either. Looking for any advice. I will be going with a buddy who has hunt there many times over his life, but I wan’t to tap the GS for outside knowledge. It will be area 23. Forgive me, but this will be a rifle hunt.

The WY Fish and Game web site and booklet are far harder to navigate than TPWD.

Thanks in advance.

Are you hunting a private ranch or public? Get a GPS chip to show land ownership.

Watch out for thorns if you try crawling up on a stalk.

I was looking at that unit to buy a leftover tag but it just looked to hard to find access on public. Ive never been to that area so I didnt want to go in blind.

Ill be going up to Casper in November.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of research myself for the 2015 season. BLM maps seem to be your best option if you don't have a GPS to download maps on it. Can be bought off the WY fish and game website. I noticed the more time I spent on their website the easier it was to navigate it Chocks of hidden info on that website!

NW of the unit seems to hold a lot of public land. I would love to hear a trip report from you since I'll be hunting in the same area in NE wyoming and would like to know the road consitions, weather, hunting pressure, etc. Good luck!

Comment

Are you specifically bow hunting or are you taking a rifle too?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
          Are you hunting a private ranch or public? Get a GPS chip to show land ownership.

Watch out for thorns if you try crawling up on a stalk.

I was looking at that unit to buy a leftover tag but it just looked to hard to find access on public. Ive never been to that area so I didnt want to go in blind.

Ill be going up to Casper in November.
          When I last spoke with my buddy, we were considering both. He spent a little time up there scouting it out last month. He is out in the mountains now, and out of cell coverage, so I can’t give a solid answer. Thanks for the thorn intel We purchased 2x doe and fawn tags from the web.

Originally posted by Treehunter View Post
          I've been doing a lot of research myself for the 2015 season. BLM maps seem to be your best option if you don't have a GPS to download maps on it. Can be bought off the WY fish and game website. I noticed the more time I spent on their website the easier it was to navigate it Chocks of hidden info on that website!

NW of the unit seems to hold a lot of public land. I would love to hear a trip report from you since I'll be hunting in the same area in NE wyoming and would like to know the road consitions, weather, hunting pressure, etc. Good luck!
          I’d be happy to send back an AAR. I’m stoked, always wanted to do one of these hunts and see this part of the country. I have been to 43 of the States...missing the two northern corners. I was looking up at a hunting/mapping APP called onXMaps, I’ll probably down load that on the iPhone and iPad. Apparently you can save maps to be used when you don’t have signal.

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
          Are you specifically bow hunting or are you taking a rifle too?
          As I originally posted, it will be a rifle hunt. I’d love to go with bow, but not sure I am ready for that. Sounds like these will be 100-300 yards shots.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
            As I originally posted, it will be a rifle hunt. I’d love to go with bow, but not sure I am ready for that. Sounds like these will be 100-300 yards shots.

Practice getting ready to shoot and making the shot quickly. That is the main thing that people neglect to be prepared for.

Lots of guys practice shooting on the bench but rarely take a shot off shooting sticks or laying prone or from a knee

Comment

Texastaxi and I went last year.
              You’re going to love the country.

Buy a tall bipod you can use while shooting off your knees.
              I wouldn’t have gotten my ‘lope w/o mine.
              Attached Files

Comment

i have a wyoming "card" that was awesome that you put in GPS that you can borrow IF i can find it and you have a GPS that accepts a card....like a card that goes in your camera....the name isnt coming to me!! we put it in a regular gps and its color coded to let you know exactly wether you are on public or private property at all times

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
                  Practice getting ready to shoot and making the shot quickly. That is the main thing that people neglect to be prepared for.

Lots of guys practice shooting on the bench but rarely take a shot off shooting sticks or laying prone or from a knee
                  ^ sound advice. Will be doing just that.

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                  Texastaxi and I went last year.

You’re going to love the country.

Thanks for sharing the pic, beautiful buck!
                  I have a bipod, and shooting sticks...may have to seriously consider a taller bipod now.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                    i have a wyoming "card" that was awesome that you put in GPS that you can borrow IF i can find it and you have a GPS that accepts a card....like a card that goes in your camera....the name isnt coming to me!! we put it in a regular gps and its color coded to let you know exactly wether you are on public or private property at all times
                    That is one very nice offer! I have a Garmin that is mounts on the wrist. I haven’t used it since I was overseas. Let me dig it up, I’m not sure if it accepts a chip/card or not. Thank you.

Comment

I'm also curious what kind of glass u will be using. Binoculars or spotting scope?

Comment

Originally posted by Treehunter View Post
                        I'm also curious what kind of glass u will be using. Binoculars or spotting scope?
                        I wasn’t real sure of the terrain or how this hunt is really going to go down. I am currently looking for a good pair of bino’s, 8x42. I’m leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 5’s or 7’s...don’t have the crazy cash for the european glass. They have great reviews.

On top of the rifle is a Burris 4.5x14x50 with BDC.

I’m open to suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                          How tall is your bipod?

Comment

Friday morning bump

Comment

Be prepared for temps between 10-80 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                              X