No announcement yet.

"Official" 2014-2015 Somerville Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they definitely "know the deal" haha... i think the does put their little ones through a hunters education bootcamp the minute they're born lol.. I love the challenge of this place, its always a chess match trying to get a deer in striking distance. Somerville beat us 2yrs in a row now but many lessons learned along the way... hopefully the 3rd year will be the charm and we can finally wrap a tag around for one of those Lee County Bucks!!

Comment

Yup, it's a chess match alright. I thought I'd won this year, with 3 shots in 4 trips to start the season... But now it's back to the old grind...

Tagging a Somerville deer is a sweet feeling like no other.

Been at it 22 (or 23?) years now, and it IS getting easier. Finally. ha, ha. But part of that may be because there are a lot more deer than there used to be. Back in the early 90's, we were stoked if we just saw a few deer, much less ever got a shot.

Comment

Hey Limb,
        if ya got pics of that big boy at Nails, I know the guy...I had 3 not close enough encounters during bow season then he vanished as rifle opened...I figured he went 100% nocturnal or a road hunter got him because any local hunter would def brag bout him! glad to hear he is still ahoof and spreading genes!!!! lol I never share pics n vids of the biggest boys, that's attention ya don't want drawn to ur property, ya know....

Comment

Yup, I know.

I haven't seen him again though, but I was hunting a really low and wide buck this evening. Been getting him on one of my cameras for months. He showed up to pee in a scrape 2 days ago, but he didn't show this evening.

Meanwhile, I froze my $#@ off in that cold wind this evening to close out the season. Beautiful sunset there tonight. A good end to an interesting season. Now, I'll start duck hunting there a little bit.

Comment

U ain't lie'n bout that wind! I actually had the largest group of does that I've seen all season show up w 15 minutes of shooting light left as if to rub it in! I laugh last as I break out the muzzle loader for another 2 weeks of hunting. With the seismic workers finishing up and staying out of the woods the hunting is getting better as it winds down...someone local may just harvest a muzzle loader Buck worthy enough to end this season w a bang

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
              I should have known better. Sunny Saturday afternoon. I'm sure half those vehicles were rubberneckers sipping on a Bud Light. The other half looked like oil field trucks. Busy, busy.
              LOL oh how some act when they think they are alone on the road driving on Flag Pond / cord 125 during peak time for movement...some slorw down and glance, some fly thru honking to clear the road, some stop and watch the deer, but there are 2-3 vehicles that definitely show the signs of actually "hunting"...I have 2 blinds on my property that can't be seen by motorists but I can watch them from the 180/125 intersection all the way to cedar creek and oance they cross fm180, its all windows down, top speed of 8, and eyes watching evrything but the road. There was an afternoon on a Tues or Wed in mid October when that huge Buck was feeding on acorns near the road with 4-5 does and I watched from my tripod bout 150 yds away as 1, then 2, then 3, and a 4th truck all stopped and watched him put on a show gently nudging the does around a huge live oak. Had to call adam, the warden, and recommend he frequent the area more because that big boy is so big that he could turn an honest ethical hunter into a roadside shooter easily...that headgear has the power to hypnotize!

Comment

No doubt about that. Some road hunters-in-training around there. I think some of them are just honest folks wanting to see deer, but you gotta wonder when you see so many driving those roads at 8-10 mph.

I laugh last as I break out the muzzle loader for another 2 weeks of hunting.
                Good luck. I'll be doing the same at the Sam Houston this weekend, hoping to put a little more meat in the freezer for the year.

Comment

Sweet I didn't know you were
                  Muzzleloading Limb.. I actually live in Montgomery and plan to hunt SHNF during muzzleloader season if I can. Good luck to you, it's going to be tough this late in the year around these parts

Comment

Ambush, I hope there are still a few fat does running around there! I've not failed to shoot a doe on the NF in the past 3 years - several of which were literally 30-40 min. hunts. But that was during the regular season, with a rifle.

I have a Ruger 77/50 Muzzleloader, and it's good to 200 yards, so hopefully I can find one out there and drop her without too much trouble. But we'll see. I'm 3 for 3 on one particular spot not far from Montgomery actually. I ride my mountain bike in on one of the closed FS roads and then ditch it and walk to an open pine stand. It's been a good spot for me to say the least.

I'll be taking my daughter with me as she drew a doe tag for the Sam, and she can use her rifle during the late youth season.

Should be fun.

Comment

Thats awesome! I have a few spots up 149 not far from town, have always seen animals but never hunted it this late.. hopefully they all arent nocturnal and give us a fighting chance ha!

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Hey Guys,
                          new to the forum and figured I'd ask you guy's opinion on hog hunting public lands.

I'm in Austin and have been to Somerville and granger a few times hog hunting but several years ago. Ive seen hogs at somerville but havent at Granger. Looking to get out there in a couple weeks to arrow a pig and wanted to ask which location I'd actually have a shot at seeing some pigs.

Let me know what you guys think and any recommendations you have for me, I'm up for whichever... either granger or somerville....or if there is a better place near me that I dont know of.

Thanks,

Comment

Can't tell you about Granger, but there are some here who can. I saw a lot of hogs at Somerville on my cam's in November when the acorns were dropping, but since then, basically nothing. When it was really dry, every waterhole had a hog or two hanging around it, but now that there is water everywhere, they can go anywhere they want.

Baiting is legal starting next week, I think (check that) but if you're that far away, it's not really the best option.

Sorry I can't be more help. If you'd have asked in November, I could have told you exactly where to go!

Comment

Anyone headed to Nails Creek for the youth draw hunt tomorrow? Lil cap'n and I will be there. Anyone been on this hunt before to share some inside info?

Comment

Nope, but good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X