No announcement yet.

"Official" 2014-2015 Somerville Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man rem that sounds like a tough break "no pun intended" hope everything works out for ya bud and you can cash in on all that hard work you've been talking about

Comment

If anyone is camping this weekend giv us a shout. Will be at nails fri-sun. We can share a beverage and stories.

Comment

Will look for ya. I'll be there - Lord willing - on Sat. a.m., but that may be it for the weekend. Saturday is my wife's birthday, and I'll be taking her to dinner that evening. She's a hell of a lot more important than hunting all day Saturday.

Comment

Gotta keep momma happy!

But definitely will have to meet up limb.

Comment

Dang rem that sucks brother...wel just get well as quick as you can and those critters will wait on you.

Well definitely have to get together hogwild! Look forward to meeting you guys!

Comment

depends on how the wifey is feelin hopefully I'll see y'all out there sat night.

Comment

Can't wait for the climb at 5!!

Yeah rem prolly need to rest that for sure but really hope ya get better

Comment

I'll throw this out to those who weren't at the meeting and knowing we will have higher temps this weekend. Nails SP has a cleaning rack available for us. Call them or ask them for use at the check in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                    I'll throw this out to those who weren't at the meeting and knowing we will have higher temps this weekend. Nails SP has a cleaning rack available for us. Call them or ask them for use at the check in.

this...ice is also available for purchase i believe. also water to rinse out your game. my game plan if i get lucky enough to get one down is to field dress it where it falls (buzzards gotta eat too) and then take it over to the state park and either just rise it down if its cool enough, or quarter it out and get it on ice if its warmer!

another thing that was mentioned at the meeting is that its important (and required) to fill out those OSR forms. it help to protect our rights to hunt this area and also helps them plan the seasons so that every user group, be it deer hunters, bird hunters, etc..get an equal opportunity for an enjoyable quality hunting experience.

Comment

new guy question for Somerville...is a climber the preferred method for treestand hunting? I have a climber that I used almost exclusively in TN, but haven't used it since moving back to TX.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm just gonna keep icing it and see what happens. Good info. If I get to go and get something I'd like to quarter it and ice it before I head back.

I guess you could use a climber. There's a few trees I saw where one could be used but not many. That's why I chose to go ahead and get a hang on for more options.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Rem. Hope it heals up quick!

Comment

Originally posted by stablebuck View Post
                            new guy question for Somerville...is a climber the preferred method for treestand hunting? I have a climber that I used almost exclusively in TN, but haven't used it since moving back to TX.
                            Stable, I'd say about 1 out of 10-15 trees out there you "might" be able to put a climber in. There are definintely climber-worthy trees if you look for them, but they will all be in the bottoms and maybe not a place you want to hunt. Only one way to know for sure though!

I tried a climber out there last year in a tree I had scouted ahead of time, and honestly, that climber was so noisy (I was hunting near a bedding area) that I swore I'd never try that again. I didn't see anything, and attribute that to all the noise I made just getting up the tree.

My strap-on steps and hang-on is much, much quieter to hang.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                              Great info there. I didn't know that. If I have a reason to use it, I'll use it!

Comment

thank you for the insight!

Comment

Working...
                                X