No announcement yet.

"Official" 2014-2015 Somerville Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well just think rem, its not even season yet and look how much weve learned about getting cameras trapped, creek crossing and so on. Imagine what we'll know by January

Comment

Haha. That's true. I'm thinking this season I'll learn a lot about what not to do which will still be helpful.

Comment

I've been taking lessons on what not to do for 35 years now. ha, ha.

Comment

Well my draws aren't going so well looks like I'll be S'ville exclusive this year. Maybe big Sam here and there

Comment

Oh Jager, please don't mention draws and S'ville in the same sentence. ha, ha.

Comment

yeah...guess i didnt think that through lol. i dont think i can handle any more rejection.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised it hasn't gone this way already. Esp. with all the pressure the place has gotten the past few years.

I think we need to have some open areas (with the APH permit of course) and it's one thing I've enjoyed about S'ville for a long time now.

Comment

Well get ready. From what I'm hearing this is not going to be easy hunting but if you're successful it will be so rewarding.

Just think, 7 days from now we'll all be running around all crazy doubl and triple checking everything to make sure we're all ready for Saturday morning. Man I can't wait!!!

Comment

to tell you the truth i could easily define success as seeing deer....at this point a doe/spike would be a wall hanger HA HA . J/K but if i do get a deer on the ground i would be very ecstatic.

Comment

When you hunt a place like S'ville - esp with traditional gear - any deer is a wall hanger. The doe I shot there with my recurve 3 years ago ranks as one of my top bowhunting memories to this day.

swapped cards on my 2 cameras today and got about what I had last time - lots of does and fawns (same ones every day I think) and two spikes plus a BIG boar that showed up once - no doubt roaming through like they do.

Should be an interesting opening weekend.

Moved my cameras to an old but formerly productive spot on higher ground. It's getting wetter out there. Not too bad yet, but the ditches are full.

Comment

I'm hopeful I'll make some memories like that this year but either way it will be fun to get out there.

That's cool. At least you're able to view some pics.

Oh wonderful. Hopefully the lack of rain over the next couple days will give the water a chance to run off.

Comment

Yea, Rem, my cam's are much more accessible than the one we set that day. Sorry bud. But I will say the biggest buck on my cam's so far - over 2.5 weeks and about 500 images - has still just been a spike. So the chances that a big boy is running around are infinitely greater where we set your cam. It doesn't seem that far, but rarely are boots ever on that ground. And now you know why.

Comment

I got a good cable lock for my other camera now and wish I would have had it last weekend when I wen up there so I could check out the new spot I found. Too late now but I'll take it with me on Sunday just in case I still cannot retrieve mine. Hey it's not your fault. No worries. I'll get it eventually. I was thinking about trying another way to access it. My idea about getting there is a long shot, and I'm sure you know what I am thinking, but it's worth a try.

Yes I can definitely see why the area is rarely traveled which is why it is so enticing. I really like the area but the thought of depending on the weather just to access it is pretty disheartening, not to mention the work that will go into getting an animal out of there if I get lucky.

The new spots I found are on the way there so I'm thinking, weather permitting, I might hunt the camera spot in the morning and if there's no action by about noon I will move to one of the other spots.

By the way did anybody notice we've made it to five pages now? All we need is 12 more posts to be on page six. haha

Comment

Rem, if you get one back there and I'm not busy, I'll drive an hour North to help you get it out.

I usually don't think about dragging them out until I have them in hand. It's gotten me into a pickle a time or two, but nothing I couldn't handle. Sure makes for good stories!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained you know. ha, ha.

I figure it this way... Here in Central/SE Texas, we don't have 14000' mountains or raging rivers or fly-in only float trips, or grizzly bears or Dall sheep. But every now and then, we do have a place where you have to EARN your animal, and work to get it out. That's what I love about places like the one I took you to. I love that they still exist. I hunt a place like that on the Sam Houston NF - arguably the most heavily hunted National Forest in the entire U.S.

The idea of still having hard to get to places on public land, even today, just appeals to me.

Comment

That's a great attitude jager and what I am thinking too. Just seeing deer while sitting in my spot will get my blood moving and heart racing. Lucky for me all my spots only have sight out to 30 yds so if I do see them it's gonna be arrow flinging time fellas.

So what do you guys think about posting LDP's? Should we just post them up or just send them in a PM to the guys we are familiar with in this thread?

11 more posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X