No announcement yet.

TPWD Draw Hunts - New this Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So your preference points get added to each draw you sign up for in each category?

It seems like being able to apply to as many hunts as you have money for will significantly kill the odds for every category, especially when you factor in preference points? It's almost like we're going to a raffle system rather than a lottery system? I don't think there is any other state that does this.. I'm sure this is just being done to make extra money, but I think it will make the already tough odds even tougher..

Comment

All particulars are not completely ironed out I know yall have questions that I wish I had the answers to, but not knowing the final word on everything, is what's keeping the ??? in play. Wish I knew myself, but I see I should have just said it would be online only and left it as that.
      Last edited by ground level; 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Thanks for informing all.

Comment

Good for TP&W!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Entries just cost $3. If a guy can't afford a couple more $3 entries, then he probably can't afford to drive to the hunt either. Right?
            Lol the one choice was what made it competitive, and I think it keep your odds a lot higher too,...... Out-thinking your opponet on strategy .... But allowing everyone to just have numerous enteries will definitley not increase your odds

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
              All particulars are not completely ironed out I know yall have questions that I wish I had the answers to, but not knowing the final word on everything, is what's keeping the ??? in play. Wish I knew myself, but I see I should have just said it would be online only and left it as that.
              we appreciate the heads up! I just couldn't help but ask since this is the big majority of my deer hunting every year. thanks btw, for all your years working for us and our wildlife. I think you guys are pretty underrated in your importance to conservation and hunting.

Comment

Glad to see this finally happen! Hurry up and wait for the details

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                  Not entirely true...some are $10.

I like the idea for extra chances in a category. I have to pick dates and categories based on my HS Football season. So anything before the 2nd or 3rd week of November I have to pass on. The idea of extra chances in December and January I am all in for. It will also allow me to put in for more of the ones around San Antonio where I live and don't have to worry about where to stay, like Honey Creek and Guadalupe River Basin among others.
                  The $10 entries don't have more than one location per category though.

Comment

Originally posted by bdavid1020 View Post
                    Lol the one choice was what made it competitive, and I think it keep your odds a lot higher too,...... Out-thinking your opponet on strategy .... But allowing everyone to just have numerous enteries will definitley not increase your odds
                    Maybe....maybe not.... It will depend on how many people put in for more locations than I do. I'll probably put in for every location that has a hunt scheduled for a date that would fit my schedule. If lots of other people put in for just one or two locations, then my odds are improved.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedBrazos View Post
                      we appreciate the heads up! I just couldn't help but ask since this is the big majority of my deer hunting every year. thanks btw, for all your years working for us and our wildlife. I think you guys are pretty underrated in your importance to conservation and hunting.
                      ^This is why I will gladly buy a few more $3 entries. I like where the money is going, especially when they are spending it more wisely by eliminating all the paper and manual data entry and such.

Comment

Thanks Shane! You said it better than I could have and been believeable.

Comment

thanks for the info.
                          like the online system idea.
                          don't like the apply for more than one hunt per category idea.

Comment

Preference points:

I remember when preference points were both category and area specific. It changed to category specific and I thought that was an improvement.

Let's say I apply for Archery Deer Richland Creek and Archery Deer Gus Engling and I don't get drawn for either hunt. Do I get two points in the category? One for RC and one for GE, one point for the category...? What happens if I get drawn for one hunt? Do I still get a point for the other? Or lose all my points? Do all my current accrued points apply for both hunts? Split between the two?

Looking forward to the new system. I am happy to see TPWD getting current.

Comment

Well, this is all a big surprise.

I'm not a fan of everything moving to online, nor that you can apply more than once for each category. I believe each of those things will drive up entry numbers, decreasing chances.

Since its online, more folks will apply (like non-residents). The multiple applications per category, however, may in fact just turn out to be a wash.

I don't understand why TP&W doesn't implement much higher application/permit costs for non-residents, just like every other state does.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                                I don't understand why TP&W doesn't implement much higher application/permit costs for non-residents, just like every other state does.
                                They do, in order to hunt white-tailed, mulie, pronghorn and desert bighorn sheep, the non-resident license fee is $315 on top of the application fee and hunt permit fee.

Non-residents have been applying for years even though it wasn't online and actually it has been, but not be able to pay for the applications. The interactive search option has been available for years for both residents and non-residents.

Comment

Working...
                                X