Big New Mexico Mulies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big New Mexico Mulies

I've been reading up and researching about hunting New Mexico public land in the fall and I am still confused about how to go about it. If I want to go by myself I need to buy a hunting license before I can be put into a draw for tags. And there is no way to just buy tags over the counter? This will be for mule deer or elk and preferably bowhunting but maybe rifle hunting. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Following

Comment

Nearly all the tags for muley's and elk are draw in NM. There are landowner tags. When you enter the draw, NM does require their money up front. This will be the cost of the license and a general hunting license. If you do not draw you get the money back except for a $20 dollar processing fee.
      Draw deadline is March 19th this year. Results will be April 23rd.

Comment

Thanks Graybow! TTT anyone else?

Comment

New Mexico is very confusing with their hunting stuff for some reason. I went for a pronghorn hunt in October and it took me forever to figure everything out, still not even sure I did it right but I got a pronghorn!

Comment

yea tell me about it, lived there five years and was a pain to figure out. worst part was even if you are a resident of the state you have to draw. and no point system. never did draw an elk tag. better off going to Colorado and buy over the counter.

Comment

I would look to Col, Az, Nv etc for better quality, and problier easier tags to get ahold of.
              NM is more convenient for travel though. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I hunt in 21 on a private ranch. goto the website and buy a tag. no draw for deer on private land. been doing it for years

same ranch has elk but gotta buy a landowners permit for them still no draw.

private land is easy......nmfgd draw process is a joke and no pp's given

Comment

I was stationed in NM for 5 years, hunted public land/public draw hunts the whole time and never had any issues. The online system has changed quite a bit recently but its really pretty simple. I just applied for my public draw archery tag a few days ago and it took me about 15 minutes. PM me if you want, ill give you my phone number and walk you through the process anytime man. Public land hunting is really pretty awesome in NM especially for Mule donkey deer!

Comment

^^^^
                    I'm stationed here now and yes the lack of a point system is frustrating. But putting in for the draw is really simple. I drew Elk and Muley this year and got a muley. I'm already in for 5 draws for next 2014/2015.

Comment

I was planning on going with a my buddy and our dads but it looks like the odds of all of us drawing a tag are basically nothing. It looks like we might have to go to Arizona or somewhere else where we can buy over the counter tags.

Comment

Well it is a drawing, and no draw is a for sure deal no matter what the drawing odds are. As far as Arizona goes, I've hunted there also. I cant speak for the entire state but the area I hunted in Prescott National Forest was probably the worst deer hunt I've ever been on. We literally saw people EVERYWHERE and zero bucks (does are not legal). Hunted 4 days, saw 4 does and probably 300 different people. The amount of people to deer we saw tells me that the Arizona game and fish scam artist office is a shady organization thats just out to make money. So good luck with the AZ public land hunt. You will definitely need it.

Comment

I just applied with 3 others for an archery mule deer hunt next Jan. My first time to apply for any hunt, much less out of state. Took all of 30 minutes online to figure out what the process was. As far as knowing all the rules/regs, that's a different story. That's where all the confusion comes in. I'm learning though, and can't wait until late April to find out if we were drawn.

HG

Comment

Working...
                          X