Public Hunting Advice For Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting Advice For Newbie

Does anyone have any tips hint or advice for someone relatively new to hunting, that would like to take advantage of the public hunting lands to get my sons involved in the sport.

FYI we are located in the Clearlake area

Most people you run into are nice people but there are a lot of jerks also that feel entittled to any thing and every thing they see. Search some threads on public lands on here. If you can take advantage during archery only seasons or lands. Definatly put your work in on scouting before and during season. Habits will change when animals are pressured. Use google earth to zoom in and look for trails to thicker areas that could be bedding areas, potiental watering locations, travel routes, creeks draws etc.. and find areas you think you would want to walk through and check out. Think twice about leaving anything out on public land blinds, cameras, chairs etc... they will get stolen even if you chain and lock them. Don't be surprised if you find people hunting over a spot you found or in a blind you have out. Do some real checking on rules and regs of the area. TPWD has has the public lands book that has set rules and regs for public lands. Some parks will allow certain things that are or aren't in the book and some wont. Not all public lands are owned and regulated by the state so public lands may or may not be required but game wardens are still the law and TX game laws still apply.

Comment

Thanks for the advice the more the merrier

Comment

Definitely stay away from the public lands on opening day of rifle season. Just not worth the risk. I have yet to go and not come within 100yds of another hunter. Just too crowded.

Late rifle season seems to thin out. Bow season is definitely your best bet for not seeing anyone else.

Comment

definitely going planning on using a Bow. Me and my boys plan on hunting the classifieds for a good used Bows so we can practice up during the off season. After the 30 day probation period ends and I am allowed access.

Comment

go deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep in also

Comment

Originally posted by Reconspacediver View Post
              definitely going planning on using a Bow. Me and my boys plan on hunting the classifieds for a good used Bows so we can practice up during the off season. After the 30 day probation period ends and I am allowed access.
              Just buy a membership definitely worth it plus you get a cool sticker!

Comment

didn't know I could looking into that now

Comment

I am also new to hunting as well. Thank you DuramaxDude for the info. I was wanting to see do yall ever do a group or partner hunt? This will be my first year to hunt I live in the spring area and was thinking about going up north to the Huntsville area or should I think about going somewhere else?

Comment

Typically for me a lot of walking is involved. Learning the land and tracking your game.

Comment

I am just looking into public land hunting also and one big question I've been wondering is if when u hunt public land if Ur assigned any particular area or anything?. I'm just asking because it seems if there are a bunch of rifle hunters randomly shooting in every direction wouldn't there b a high probability of someone being shot?

Comment

O and i will b hunting sam houston if that helps. Idk if it's different everywhere.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack your thread but can anyone tell me about public land access around the Dallas area. I hear there were some pretty good pig hunting around Lewisville & Grapevine lakes. Any suggestions?

I also heard there was great hunting around Richland Cahmbers lake outside Corsicana.
                          Last edited by kmint54; 01-25-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Start putting in for TPWD Public Draw Hunts. After a few years I got picked twice this year! I don't hunt public land or have a deer lease.

Comment

If you get ur Lic to hunt public land they will send u maps of all the public access available !
                              You Will be surprised where they will let u hunt

Comment

Working...
                              X