Rule breakers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule breakers....

What do you think about them on public land.
    Rules clearly states:
    1. It's prohibited to hunt within a 200 yard buffer of the property line.
    2. You're not aloud to leave your stands on the property while not hunting from it.
    3. Wear hunters orange on your head, back & chest while walking on public hunting lands....
    4. Hunters must park their vehicles at designated check points.
    5. Others

What do y'all think about rule breakers?

1. Let them get themselves in trouble?
    2. They'll screw it up for the rest of us?
    3. Doesn't bother you?
    4. Or other. (Please explain)

When I've run into other hunters in the past I haven't had many bad things to say. Usually pleasent encounters.

This year has been a different story.
    I live a little closer to the public land that I hunt so I go out there a little more often than I have in the past. More weekday trips.
    I've ran into more people walking around without any orange this year which isn't the worst of it. To me, that's their stupidity. But one of them I ran into, I called out to him, "Hey! Come here!" We were both walking at this time. We close the distance and I asked him if I disturbed his hunt. He said no, that he was hunting about a 100 yards away. I asked if he had shot something and needed help tracking it. He said no, that he was just scouting around and he was headed back to get his things and he was going to go help his friend who had evidently shot a spike near the exit gate. We said our byes and good lucks and we went on our way. He took off towards the park and I headed towards the exit gate. Got there and was the only one parked there... I believe he lives near the public land and he hoped the fence to hunt.

Went in Thursday evening to bait the area I like to hunt and another person was parked at the check point. Thought to myself, "dang..... I hope I don't ruin someone's hunt coming in to feed out and leave...." Well, I walk on the main road all the way to the spot I break off to hunt and didn't see anybody. "Thought, "cool, glad I didn't see anyone and mess up their hunt." Headed back the same way and got about 75-80 yards from the check point and where I couldn't see it before because trees were blocking my view on the way in, there stood a ladder stand right on the main road that I was walking on. I looked up at the guy while I continued to pick up trash on the way out, and he looked at me like, how dare I walk thru his set 30 minutes before dark!? " I just looked back and shook my head.... As if hunting 75-80 yards from the check point wasn't enough, I head out this morning and I'm the first person there. And his stand is still there.

I guess I'm just irritated because I feel like the rule breakers will eventually get the privilege, that most of us appreciate, taken away....

What are your thoughts? Turn them in and bring it to the park rangers attention? Or leave it alone?
    Last edited by Mac...; 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM.

Well, yes, it bothers me, but I've also learned that the fastest way to get flamed on TBH is to criticize folks who don't mind breaking the rules on public land...

So, I'll sit this one out with my popcorn handy.

Comment

It's no different than rule breakers on a lease.... Is it?
      That's "my lease" in a since. Y'all wouldn't put up with rule breakers on your lease would you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
        It's no different than rule breakers on a lease.... Is it?
        That's "my lease" in a since. Y'all wouldn't put up with rule breakers on your lease would you?
        except its a free lease.
        I walked up on 9 duck decoys just sittin the water yesterday about 5 oclock while scouting. I assume the ole boy had set em out not thinking anybody would come by, trying to save his spot for this morning. I always try to treat other people like I would like to be treated. granted he is a rule breaker and being so he forfeited most of his rights to fairness. I wanted to just grab em up and take em home, but I didn't. now, if I had decided I wanted to hunt that spot this morning, the story would be different....
        I tolerate rule breakers unless they are grossly unsportsmanlike, or are hurting my hunting.

Comment

Mac, some wisdom in BBs response. Do I like what I see at Lake W/A, no, can I put up with it- for the most part yes.

I do know this- if you worry to much about it, it will eat you alive. Been there. done that.

Comment

I've been hunting public land a long time. I've been on a lease the last two years, but it looks like I am going back to public soon.

I worry about what I can control. My own actions. I always have a GPS. I'll write down numbers for stands I find and if I find bait. I'm hunting Type II land. Baiting isn't legal. If I know how to find a warden or employee, I'll give them the numbers.

I try to be safe and considerate. I follow the rules. I'm friendly to other people I meet, and I've met all kinds out there.

Comment

I don't hunt public lands much anymore. I know you used to be able to leave a temporary stand for up to 72 hours on national forest land. Baiting used to not be allowed either though.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                  Well, yes, it bothers me, but I've also learned that the fastest way to get flamed on TBH is to criticize folks who don't mind breaking the rules on public land...

So, I'll sit this one out with my popcorn handy.
                  I remember there was a thread a while back started by a fella who broke the law and then came on here to gripe about how his stuff that he left on public land got stolen. Wonder if he ever figured out if it was "stolen" or a game warden came through to pick up his litter. It'd be great if people realized rules are for everyone! But everyone thinks they are special these days.

Comment

I worry about what I can control. My own actions. I always have a GPS. I'll write down numbers for stands I find and if I find bait. I'm hunting Type II land. Baiting isn't legal. If I know how to find a warden or employee, I'll give them the numbers.
                    That's some great advice right there.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                      I always have a GPS. I'll write down numbers for stands I find and if I find bait. I'm hunting Type II land. Baiting isn't legal. If I know how to find a warden or employee, I'll give them the numbers.
                      ^^^This! I've turned GPS coords to several stands on corp land over the years, and they do take care of them and leave whoever left them a note where they can pick their stand up along with their ticket. If I'm hunting an area that doesn't allow baiting I'll turn coords to that in too.

Comment

I'm new to hunting public land. This year I started hunting out at S'ville a little bit. I've probably been out there 10 times in the past 30 days. I have only seen 2 stands and 1 other hunter in that time. So far I've been pretty pleased, I was expecting much worse.

Yesterday morning there was a guy not too far from me that I think was trying to do a rattling sequence, but it lasted for like 5 minutes straight. Pretty sure I caught a glimpse of a whitetail running away haha. Didn't really bother me. I figured worse case he'd scare one towards me or if he brought one in it may come past me

Comment

Yeah it bothers me. I have ran into some pretty shady characters on public land but most are some pretty good guys. They should know the rules but I would give them the benefit of the doubt like maybe they didn't know the rules. Maybe even tell them "hey bud just a fair warning but the other day I saw the game warden or ranger over here ticketing people for hunting to close to the boundary and leaving a stand" or whatever it is he is doing, a litte white lie wouldn't hurt. Just a way to inform him if he didn't know and a way to possibly get him to stop what he is doing without causeing a problem with him. If someone was breaking the rules a bothering my hunts and intentionally doing it I would get a game warden or ranger on it. Its public land, its free, and its open to everyone but proper ethics, respect and consideration for others, safety, and following the rules should always be practiced first and for most. Public land is a privilage for everyone and just like any other privilage it to should be respected. Some people don't see it that way and feel a sense of entitlement to anything and everything their little hearts desire regaurdless of laws rules ethics or morals.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                            Its public land, its free, and its open to everyone but proper ethics, respect and consideration for others, safety, and following the rules should always be practiced first and for most. Public land is a privilage for everyone and just like any other privilage it to should be respected. Some people don't see it that way and feel a sense of entitlement to anything and everything their little hearts desire regaurdless of laws rules ethics or morals.
                            Absolutely and no different than any other privilege, it can be taken away due to those who don't respect it or adhere to the rules, regulations or restrictions placed on the lands. It usually the few who cause this and can very well cause the loss of public hunting lands due to their actions. We end up paying the price for their selfishness and lack of respect.

Comment

Hunters should police their own.
                              I was talking to a federal game warden where I hunted last November. He said that he stopped a guy for wearing no orange. He searched the guy and found meth. I told Jay (the GW) that I would call him whenever I see a violation from now on. I had seen 2 guys earlier in the hunt who had no orange but I blew it off and Jay asked me to call him from now on.
                              I encourage everyone to report violations unless you have a valid specific reason not to. You may be reporting a very nice guy, but the odds are that you are reporting someone who is guilty of far worse than you have witnessed.
                              The anti-hunters will stop at nothing to ban our sport and ban our weapons. Let us do the right thing and police our own. I believe that the better we behave, the longer it will take for the antis to ban hunting and fishing.

This is a great topic to discuss. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X