Daughtrey WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughtrey WMA

Anybody hunting at Daughtrey WMA next weekend?

My son hunted down there this past weekend on a youth management hunt. The weather was cold and had the deer moving. We saw bucks chasing does and I rattled in a young 8 point. My son shot a spike. We saw a few good bucks including one that might score in the 140s.
    Good luck!

Comment

Glad your son got one! I was a little discouraged when they said we couldn't throw any corn out. Thanks for the update, this was encouraging.
      Last edited by John316; 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM. Reason: ..

Comment

Czech. What compartment were you hunting in?

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
          Glad your son got one! I was a little discouraged when they said we couldn't throw any corn out. Thanks for the update, this was encouraging.
          my son and i hunted on the general either sex hunt in 2008. i too was discouraged when we couldn't use corn but i soon found out that it didn't really matter. we saw deer every hunt and killed 2 nice bucks.

Comment

That is good to hear, thanks

Comment

John, I planned on going down for this hunt to see if I could get a standby position but work got in the way. I would like to hear how it went and what you saw, if you don't mind. I was thinking of trying for a standby spot during the hog hunt since I missed out on the deer.

Comment

They allowed us to put out corn for the youth hunt. In fact, they had pre-baited the compartments prior to our arrival.
                My son hunted compartment #10

Comment

I hunted in comp #1. It was full moon. Saw most deer from 9am-3pm. Saw total of 17 does, 4bucks, 10 hogs. I Shot a 7.5 year old doe the last morning. Total deer count for daughtrey was 2 does. There was at least 1 hog, 1 doe, and 2 bucks that were hit but not recovered. North shore had a hog killed, and they were trying to track down a big 11 point when I left for home.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just curious how many standby spots did they have and did anyone get turned away.

Comment

There were 2 cards drawn. I think there were close to 15 guys for standby. I think 2 cards that were drawn had 3 guys each. The others were turned away

Comment

The big 11 point shot at North shore was not recovered. But the 8 point shot at daughtrey was recovered later on the last day.So the total count at daughtrey is 2 does, 1 buck. North shore was only one hog. This is for the special permit archery only hunt.

Comment

Thanks, maybe work saved me from a 3:30 drive there and back had I not been drawn.

Comment

Listening to the guys talk I think they go to every hunt they can to try to get a standby spot. I think they will be packed at daughtrey for the gun deer either sex hunt even more. If you don't have to drive far it's a good chance to get drawn. The odds are far better than the first permit selection. But they wouldn't have drawn any standbys if two people wouldn't have backed out after they were selected.

Comment

Wher do you apply for this hunt. Is it through TPWD? I would like to try for next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X