New Mexico GMU 33 Archery Mulie Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico GMU 33 Archery Mulie Hunt

I'm new to the site and was hoping for some helpful info on my tag. I drew archery mule deer tag in Unit 33. I decided to wait for the rut in Jan vs hunting in Sept. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this unit and how to hunt it.
    I'm used to hunting whitetails and they respond to grunts and rattles during the rut. Are mule deer the same? Am I better off trying to spot and stalk or sit on water? I have access to a couple stock tanks on some private land. Just trying to get a feel .

Thanks,

Anthony

Muleys on water are hit or miss. Muleys are primarily spot/stalk game.

Comment

bump

Comment

we have had success rattling them in january in units 34,36,37, and 21.

i never wuldve believed it but ive seen it work for years.

if you would have went in september id have tried the water holes, but in january unless its unseasonably hot i dont think id go that route.

every time we have been in january you find some does and watch......a buck will show.

Comment

thanks txnduckhntr! I had heard they would be on their feet during most of the day with the rut on! Just hope I can get that Hoyt within range!

Comment

Good luck to you!
            Stick a good one

Comment

Good luck. Me and my cousin will be there also.

Comment

Back at ya noack! Should be some good weather for it!

Comment

Have hunted unit 30 a bunch killed several nice deer find the doe and bucks will be near have seen rattling work it is a fun hunt

Comment

Thanks Stick...I'm really pumped and if it doesn't get here soon, I'm going to have way too much invested in extra stuff! haha

Comment

I had some spot and stalk muley hunts in 37 that I'll never forget. Great way to hunt.

33 is another beast completely though. Very open. Not much cover to use at all.

I know where I'd hunt if I drew for 33 though. In the ravines and hills on the BLM land just East of the Pecos river.

Comment

yep...been scouting over that way a little...saw a nice 4 x 4 over there last Saturday...and ur right not much cover...hopefully with the Montana decoy...mulie scent...grunt call and rattling horns i might make some magic happen...LOL

Comment

Muley Down

First I want to say thanks to those that replied to this thread! I hunted opening day, Jan 1, and got on a large group, 11, of Muley's that morning. They were about 2 miles off through the sand dunes and my buddy and I started our stalk. There were 2 monsters in that group with one probably going 160+. We got within 85yds of the big one on that stalk but got busted by one of his girls! They only went about 800 yds west and bedded again. Got within 25 yds this time but went over the dune for a shot and he was gone before I could release. That was it for the 1st and I had to head back home to work on Thursday and Friday...fast forward to Saturday morning!

Got there a little late, after sunrise! Got eyes on that same group within 10 mins of glassing. They were about 400 yds out and in some very low dunes. They were downwind of my location so I ducked, walked and crawled over a mile to get on them. Came in down wind of them but they were up from bedding and grazing again. Got into some taller dunes and continued my stalk to within 60 yds of the big boy but never had a shot. They sensed something was up but never blew out of dodge...just kinda walked off feeding. I was getting a little down with all those eyes and ears in that one group I was having a hard time getting within bow range. Spent the night in a wind storm and glad I did...Sunday dawned bright and cold!

I started from the same point on Sunday, glassing the dunes to the north. Wind was north to south which was awesome for a stalk. Hadn't glassed long and saw a lone buck about 1.5 miles out. He fed for a while and then bedded. I started the long stalk thru the dunes and came out about 300 yds south of him and he was still bedded facing away from me. I got into some taller dunes and made my final approach. I was within abotu 125 yds when I spotted a doe on an adjacent dune looking my way. I dropped my pack and got out my Montana doe decoy and got it ready and stayed low and kept the decoy between me and the doe. I got within 80-100 yds and behind the last dune and set the decoy up with about half of her exposed. The buck was looking so I hit a doe bleat and that really got his attention but it also got another doe and another bucks attention. I hit a grunt and he started coming in. One more series of bleats and he was on a rope. Got my arrow nocked and release on and he was 50 yds out and closing...at 30 yds I went to my knees and hit the release hearing the arrow hit with a thump! After a short trail I found him. Sorry for the long story and poor px but this was my first spot and stalk and first Muley ever.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats! That sounds like a fun hunt. Great job on the stalk and calling.

Comment

that's awesome. i hope to go and do that someday as well. congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X