Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son drawn for White Oak Creek WMA YDE any pointers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son drawn for White Oak Creek WMA YDE any pointers???

My son was drawn for White Oak Creek WMA Youth Deer Either Sex. We will be there the 26th and 27th of this month. Anyone have any pointers on hunting this property, I am so used to hunting pine plantation, and this is mostly OAK. Which I love but where do I start when Oak is everywhere. I know East Texas and when I find oak I know where to hunt, but there is oak everywhere at White Oak. Any pointers for harvest there or are any of you guys going to be there for maybe a hookup and lunch?

ttt

Comment

1 last time 2night. TTT

Comment

Try to find areas where trails intersect, funnel areas. I like corners where a pasture or open spot meet woods also. Really it's a trial & error, find the freshest sign in the area, set up & hope for the best. Don't be afraid to move if you consistently see deer out of range or aren't seeing anything.Also for what it's worth i've been seeing deer in the middle of the day where i'm at.

Comment

There are a ton of hogs I've hunted there a few times never connected with a deer. Try to get as far off the road as u can. Hand corn on the trails and enjoy. There are some monster out there I was never able to get a shot with bow

Comment

Baiting is not allowed on that draw hunt.

If you can, find a spot within your compartment where the deer are focusing on a single oak acorn species in particular. They are more likely to hit White Oak acorns, before hitting Red Oak acorns since those have more tannins in them which makes them bitter.

White Oak, Water Oak, Willow Oak, Swamp Chestnut oak and Overcup oak are favored. You'll find more feeding activity in those mots/oak stands than where Red Oak species are prevalent.

Comment

Acorns are slim this year around here, so if you find a tree that has some, hunt it. Also, that place is so big, without knowing which compartment you are in it's hard to tell you where to go. Once you get your compartment, hit Google Earth and find creeks and sloughs that create funnels. Will you be taking an ATV?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                Acorns are slim this year around here, so if you find a tree that has some, hunt it. Also, that place is so big, without knowing which compartment you are in it's hard to tell you where to go. Once you get your compartment, hit Google Earth and find creeks and sloughs that create funnels. Will you be taking an ATV?
                I wasn't going to. Should I

Comment

I hunted it once. Down right on the river looks awesome. I walked the whole south side of I-30 and jumped a few pigs but couldn't get a shot. I was there squirrel hunting. Lots of good places. There is a horse trail right off the south side of 30 and west of the creek. You have to drive a small county road to the parking area. From the parking area walk the horse trail south about 200 yards then turn straight east, you will hit the creek. Tons of sign there near the creek but real thick in milk weed. God luck to y'all. Congrats to your boy.

Comment

Originally posted by c14smalls View Post
                    I hunted it once. Down right on the river looks awesome. I walked the whole south side of I-30 and jumped a few pigs but couldn't get a shot. I was there squirrel hunting. Lots of good places. There is a horse trail right off the south side of 30 and west of the creek. You have to drive a small county road to the parking area. From the parking area walk the horse trail south about 200 yards then turn straight east, you will hit the creek. Tons of sign there near the creek but real thick in milk weed. God luck to y'all. Congrats to your boy.
                    Thank you sir, we are excited and will be doing plenty of walking when we choose our compartment.

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Saw one buck too early this morning to tell what I it was

Comment

figured you would at least get an opportunity at a doe

Comment

Not a very well maintained WMA. Hard to hunt due to the outlaws running all over it on atv's before and after hunts. Hunted it two years ago and had 7 atvs come past us during the youth hunt. Called it into the GW but they were long gone. Sorry for late reply on this just missed it.

Comment

Working...
                            X