Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper

Anyone been around Cooper this year? Does it look promising? Thanks

I was out there for the opener.... Kind of! I haven't had the opportunity to scout much this year, so I'm limited on my spots. I showed up Saturday morning with two trucks in the lot. 3 spots all had people set up. I walked almost two miles from the parking area on the 3rd spot. I got back to the parking area, the sun was coming up, and one more truck was there. I decided to not check more 4th spot. It was too close to deer:30 and I didn't want to potentially bust someone's hunt up. I drove around looking for more access points. There were more people out there than I'd ever seen. I'm hoping it calms down a bit as the season stretches out. I ended up heading back to Dallas without even hunting. I may take the day off on Friday and hunt the morning. We'll see.
    During my scouting trips I always kicked up deer.

J

Edit: it's very dry out there. Much of the grassy prairie areas are bare ground now. Sad to see.

Pic of what was once a boat launch

Drought by Jay DeSimone, on Flickr
    Last edited by justhrowit; 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I know that area real well. Was good hunting before everyone found out about it.

Comment

I was there & only 1 truck parked in the lot before me.....dry,mast crops will have low yields don't look good........everyone tends to hunt the easy access points......didn't see any deer....I can count on 1 hand how many times that has happened.....high temps & high winds equal little deer movement

Comment

Wow. I've hunted the area before you get to Cooper from the Commerce side. A lot of acorns there. Thinking about hunting there on Saturday.

Comment

unless your planning on hunting the river bottoms & the swamp,you won't find many trees with good mast crops....I'm talking the southeast side of the lake....

Comment

Working...
            X