No announcement yet.

Amistad NPS 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys here we go. I got off work early Thursday and made it down to get my permit just before they closed. I had some daylight left so I headed to area 3 to scout a little and I found some good sign so I came back to 3 Friday morning and scouted some more. I found a good spot over a huge scrape and setup on it. I did not clear a bunch of brush or make a big ground blind I simply used some string to tie back the brush a certain way just enough to give me a shot if a buck came to the scrape. I got to the blind around 1pm and at 3pm I had a doe come within 5 yards just feeding and eventually walked off. Then just before dark I could here some brush breaking and then the 8 point popped out and stopped at the scrape. When he stopped he was quartering away a little and I shot and he jumped up and grunted when the arrow hit him so I was pumped about the shot. I gave it a few minutes and recovered my arrow and followed blood up to 15 yards from the shot and found tons of blood then herd the dreaded sound of a deer running off so I backed out and returned the next morning and found him only 40 more yards away. Here is a pic of the blood trail. I continued to hunt area 3 over the next couple of days until Tuesday evening. I saw 2 10 points out of range and passed on a really small 8 point. So Tuesday evening I decided to scout area 2. I have a brush blind in area 2 that I have added dead brush to for four years now and the deer are very use to it but the wind would be wrong for the evening hunt so I hunted another spot that evening and seen one doe. Now this morning i knew the wind would be good so I settled in my ground blind and 45 minutes after daylight I shot this 9 point. I had a blast on this trip. This is my sixth season going to Amistad and I have always had a chance at some great deer it just all came together good for me this year. Its kinda funny the last time I pulled a double at Amistad was 2 years ago I shot an 8 point on Wednesday and a 9 point on Friday this trip I shot an 8 point on Friday and a 9 point on Wednesday. Oh and by the way right now is prime time it was starting to heat up down there if you know what I mean. So good luck to you if you go.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice deer old hard horn. Can't wait to go.

Comment

Congrats Hard Horn! I was close to pulling off a double myself but you actually did it. Way to go!

Just a side note for all you headed that way soon. The season closes for bucks on January 5 this year. Its been open later in the past, but it has changed this year. Im planning on going on the 4th and staying till the 7th, but will have to settle for some does on Monday and Tuesday. They tend to eat better anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by ol hard horn View Post
          Ok guys here we go. I got off work early Thursday and made it down to get my permit just before they closed. I had some daylight left so I headed to area 3 to scout a little and I found some good sign so I came back to 3 Friday morning and scouted some more. I found a good spot over a huge scrape and setup on it. I did not clear a bunch of brush or make a big ground blind I simply used some string to tie back the brush a certain way just enough to give me a shot if a buck came to the scrape. I got to the blind around 1pm and at 3pm I had a doe come within 5 yards just feeding and eventually walked off. Then just before dark I could here some brush breaking and then the 8 point popped out and stopped at the scrape. When he stopped he was quartering away a little and I shot and he jumped up and grunted when the arrow hit him so I was pumped about the shot. I gave it a few minutes and recovered my arrow and followed blood up to 15 yards from the shot and found tons of blood then herd the dreaded sound of a deer running off so I backed out and returned the next morning and found him only 40 more yards away. Here is a pic of the blood trail. I continued to hunt area 3 over the next couple of days until Tuesday evening. I saw 2 10 points out of range and passed on a really small 8 point. So Tuesday evening I decided to scout area 2. I have a brush blind in area 2 that I have added dead brush to for four years now and the deer are very use to it but the wind would be wrong for the evening hunt so I hunted another spot that evening and seen one doe. Now this morning i knew the wind would be good so I settled in my ground blind and 45 minutes after daylight I shot this 9 point. I had a blast on this trip. This is my sixth season going to Amistad and I have always had a chance at some great deer it just all came together good for me this year. Its kinda funny the last time I pulled a double at Amistad was 2 years ago I shot an 8 point on Wednesday and a 9 point on Friday this trip I shot an 8 point on Friday and a 9 point on Wednesday. Oh and by the way right now is prime time it was starting to heat up down there if you know what I mean. So good luck to you if you go.

That's awesome man.
          Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by coondog1
            Congrats Hard Horn! I was close to pulling off a double myself but you actually did it. Way to go!

Just a side note for all you headed that way soon. The season closes for bucks on January 5 this year. Its been open later in the past, but it has changed this year. Im planning on going on the 4th and staying till the 7th, but will have to settle for some does on Monday and Tuesday. They tend to eat better anyway!
            I'll be out there then too. Are you going to camp out there? we'll probably be camped over at north 277

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

We'll probably stay at motel across from American Campground. Amistad Resort?? I think. Its not much of a resort but it works for us. Probably hang out at the Icon Bar and Restaurant for a little bit Saturday evening.

Comment

Congrats on these nice bucks to both of yall. I had a nice tall but not very wide 9 pt coming down the trail I was seated at until I made the wise decision to stand up because my rear was going numb. He gave me a funny look and scolded me with a snort and I kicked myself the rest of the day. Other than that just an Aoudad this year for me. I'm headed back down in about a week but not sure for how long.

I sure would like to find some fish down there in my off time from hunting, anybody got some tips for Striper? I'm not much of a bass fisherman and don't have a trolling motor.

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
                I meant area 4 not 2

You can canoe to 4, but I wouldn't as the winds can get pretty tough and you'll be worn out by the time you get there. I think you'd have better luck sneaking quietly into the back sides of some of the more accessible areas that are near a launch point. 5 comes to mind as you can probably launch a canoe from 277S I would imagine and hug the shoreline to stay out of the wind. Then if you make a kill you can walk-in with a cart or something so you don't have to load it into the canoe (I don't know if that's a big deal or not). I hunted with a guy years ago that got a Mouflon in 5 with his kayak, he paddled over and spotted them on the hillside and quietly landed the yak and stalked in on them.
                Last edited by justletmein; 12-21-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Anyone going 12/28-12-31?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                    Anyone going 12/28-12-31?
                    I'm planning to be there those exact dates.

Comment

I am here now.

Comment

woohoo two more days before we leave!!!!!! can't wait hopefully we'll bring something home.

Comment

OK which one of you has a red Ford with a Sharkathon sticker on the back? Looked like you killed something, fess up.

Comment

Bump. I wanna know too!! lol

Comment

Can you use a bike to get back in there ?

Comment

Originally posted by coon007 View Post
                                Can you use a bike to get back in there ?
                                That's what I used. Just remember, the further you get back in there, the further you gotta drag that monster out!

But, at the same time, that's what will make the trip even more memorable...

Comment

Working...
                                X