No announcement yet.

"Official" Somerville 2013-2014 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He came in 12yrds. Stopped, and immediately after releasing the arrow he cut hard. So shot went wayyy back. Rage 2 blade still made trailing easily. 60yrds and done. He's nothing compared to my fabulous buck 2 seasons ago, but I needed fresh venision.

Comment

Awesome job! Congrats!

Comment

Congrat's man! What a hole in that thing!

Comment

"Official" Somerville 2013-2014 thread

Anyone gunna be out the weekend after Thanksgiving I'm passing up Black Friday hoping there will be fewer hunters out that weekend should be nice weather also I am itching for my first bow kill it's driving me nuts

what all should I bring with me for the hunt? again I'm new to public land I got a little spoiled on me leases I hunted a few years ago so I forgot how to rough it. LoL

Comment

I might have to go back out just to see what's holding water. Depends on what m son wants to do though, as he's visiting for the holiday.

What to bring? Hard to say. Really depends on where and how you're hunting.

A lot of patience and some waterproof boots would be a good start though.

Comment

"A lot of patience" is right on target

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Headed to somerville around noon be there about 3 anyone else gunna be there this weekend?

Comment

I hit up Luminant #607 on Saturday morning... complete fail. As I sat in my tree stand, watched some arsh-hat walk by in front of me... even with every attempt to let me know that I was there with a whistle and resorted to yelling at him... yet still no response, first thought, shooting a round of from my pistol at the ground to get his attention... second thought, climbed out of my stand and made every attempt to make noise leaving... I am not complaining, but when you hunt public lands, be kind, listen and look UP for other hunters... On the way out, I ran into about 8 other rifle bearing hunters... I was the only jack-wagon with a bow...

With my distraught taste of 607, I made the trip from Luminant to Somerville. I will have to say, that I only visited one spot in the Yegua area, I found numerous trails of prints. I even jumped a deer scouting out areas mid day. No luck in actually seeing it, buried deep in the brush... Which you wont see that in 607 this time of the year. Only ran into a couple other hunters in the evening going back to their trucks. I talked to a couple locals and they ran into 7 deer that morning at Nails on the west side.

I will make the 2 hour drive to go back next weekend.
                    Last edited by Kruzifux259; 12-01-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Hey hogwild, that hat combo looks familiar, you aren't the guy walking around rattling every morning screwing up everyone's hunt attempting to kill your buck on the ground are you? Also I would like to know about your branch licking technique are you trying to get one with the deer when you lick branches 20 yards from my tree? I wouldn't mind it so much if you moved on but I waved my orange like a airplane propeller for 2 minutes strait and after a sharp whistle you still just milled around my stand.

This place is waaaayyy to crowded overrun with amateur wanna be hunters just walking around the woods wih no idea what they are doing. They have successful made evey mature buck on that place nocturnal!!!

All sign is from at night if anyone wants to know so If you think you are on them...... Think again.

Comment

Duck, maybe it's time to make the hike back to where I showed you and get away from the rookies?

S'ville can get VERY crowded for sure, and I'm absolutely sure the mature bucks are largely nocturnal by now. But having said that, I've still yet to have been walked in on by a single hunter in the past 4 years. Not even once.

Am I just lucky? Maybe. But I try pretty hard to find spots that nobody else would think of hunting. If I ever see any sign of another hunter, I just keep movin' on.
                        Last edited by Limbwalker; 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I had a mature buck that came thru just didn't give me a shot 2 days in a row. Then yahoos started coming thru and he is long gone now.

I'm hunting that spot 2 days this week yeah yet to see anyone over there

I think I'm going over to the other unit in yehwa it's bigger to get away from this. But Somerville is a very unique place that is very hard to hunt. The last thing we need is more people out there.

Ill prolly stop posting on this because of all the non sence I am seeing

Comment

I'm hunting that spot 2 days this week yeah yet to see anyone over there
                            Glad to hear it. I never made it over there at all this season. River was too high by the time I got out there. Hope it works out for you!

S'ville is truly a unique piece of public hunting land. As you said, VERY difficult to hunt not only because of the cover, but the pressure.

Comment

Ya i never had a problem with other hunters out there. I walked 45 minutes out to my spot. Never saw anybody on the way in or way out either. Only guy i saw was at the parking area. You gotta want it !!

Comment

I'd like to know who the yahoos were that were popping off the .22s on sunday morn. Started right at daylight and continued til round 8. I drove by the sign in board on 125 and there were 6 vehicles parked there. 2 of those each had 3 guys in em.....thank god for the ole hot doe in the hog trap trick....had all the shooter bucks up on the hill. Worked great...sorta
                                Last edited by rackballer; 12-02-2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X