No announcement yet.

"Official" Davy Crockett National Forest hunt thread 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw two does and what looked to be a small spike he never came out of the brush to have a good look at him.hope this cold front gets them bucks moving.

Comment

"Official" Davy Crockett National Forest hunt thread 13-14

This has always been toughest time of the year for me to even see deer. Don't know what it is but after thanksgiving through December I don't see near the amount of animals unless it's a good front blowing in or something and not even then usually.

Last year after seeing a total of 1 doe for the month if December on about 10 total hunts on 4 different spots I swore I was going to duck hunt this December and give the deer a rest. It's tough since I still feel the need to deer hunt though! With all the recent rain I may hit the ducks in a couple weeks. Lots of sloughs and ponds are soaked right now.

Anyone else have the same experience in December deer hunting this area?

Comment

Any thoughts on the weather this weekend with the cold and rain....Will it get them moving? Hunted Sabine couple weeks ago and deer did not start mooving until rain stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeard View Post
          Any thoughts on the weather this weekend with the cold and rain....Will it get them moving? Hunted Sabine couple weeks ago and deer did not start mooving until rain stopped.
          My lease isn't too terribly far from the DCNF. Before Thanksgiving when we had all that cold and rain my brother-in-law hunted for 2.5 days and never saw a single deer. Not saying they won't move but if it's raining as hard as it was those couple of days then I'd venture to say it will be marginal at best. Now if it's just a drizzly rain with little to no wind I'd fully expect them to be on their feet. They'll be cold and need to eat so they'll almost have to.

Comment

Come on Saturday!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              My lease isn't too terribly far from the DCNF. Before Thanksgiving when we had all that cold and rain my brother-in-law hunted for 2.5 days and never saw a single deer. Not saying they won't move but if it's raining as hard as it was those couple of days then I'd venture to say it will be marginal at best. Now if it's just a drizzly rain with little to no wind I'd fully expect them to be on their feet. They'll be cold and need to eat so they'll almost have to.
              We hunted that same time and saw deer. , but they were few and far between. I believe we are going back up there next week for a few days. Hopefully they will be moving. .

Comment

Heading out tomorrow morning. Will be there tmw and Sat. I'm gonna spray doe pee, rattle, grunt, bleat, and beg, pray, and plead until the sun sets!

Comment

How's it going out there this morning txpitdog?

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                    We hunted that same time and saw deer. , but they were few and far between. I believe we are going back up there next week for a few days. Hopefully they will be moving. .
                    This is true. It's become apparent to me that deer pattern much differently when they're around feeders than they do when there aren't any, or at least fewer of them. It seems like they behave more like one would typically expect them to (if there is such a thing as typical deer movement).

Comment

I'm about to head up there!!

Comment

I hunted the central part of Alabama Creek WMA today from 9am-dark. First off, if ya'll are planning on heading out, please be careful to try and stay dry. Wet clothes and hat from sweating or the drizzling ran and wet feet can get you or your young'ns into trouble quicker than you think, especially if you switch from stalking through the wet forest to still hunting.

OK now for the hunting report. The wind isn't anywhere near as vicious in the deep woods, and it came from the north pretty consistently though I did get into some areas where it would swirl. Everything is wet and there is standing water in a LOT of places, but definitely not flooded. I saw 11 deer and a bobcat. One group of 6 does and one group of 3 does. The other two were lone deer that I jumped up, and although they were very big bodied I didn't see any horns. They looked way too big and heavy for a doe, but I didn't see antlers, so maybe they are pregnant or something. Rattling didn't do jack diddly for me. You either gotta jump them up in this weather or try to catch them moving at last light.

I planned to camp overnight and hit it again in the morning, but I got some bad news when I got back to my truck and am heading home instead.
                        Good luck, and stay dry!

PS - I got lost like a fool today. Got turned around stalking the first group of does I saw and drifted NW a mile further than I thought I was. Had I not had my compass with me, the last post from txpitdog ya'll woulda seen was a plea for somebody to come rescue my butt!

Comment

Good report.

Comment

Any report today?

Comment

Cool pic.

Comment

Going to try to get my first deer today...

Comment

Working...
                                X